Roland Jazz Chorus

Tube or solid-state, this section goes to eleven!
Yazoo55
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Yazoo55 »

I wondered if anybody has tried cloning the Roland Jazz Chorus. It is a lush sounding amp. I know it would be a big project but what if just the pre-amp section was separated out? Would that be more feasible?

FiveseveN
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by FiveseveN »

Which one? There seem to be lots of models over the years, with different schematics. Which goes to show you the preamp is not what makes it special.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. (Charles Darwin)

phatt
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by phatt »

Yes many models and all different, some only slightly.

But do understand the simple reason it sounds good is simply because it's a **Stereo Amplifier**
As in, 2 x 60 Watt power amps driving two separate speakers in one cab.
*The signal is only Stereo when Chorus is engaged, otherwise just mono running 2 power amps.*
So when you hit the chorus button it has a spatial impact that you don't get from a chorus pedal that likely uses close to identical circuitry.
Frankly one of the worst SS rigs I've ever had the displeasure of hearing,, yet they still sell for a small fortune. go figure? [smilie=a_whyme.gif]

Look for posting from member *TeemuK* as he knows a lot about those amps. :thumbsup
Phil.

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

I can't understand why you think that these are dreadful, Phil - they're great for their intended use. In a small "jazz" combo, with bass, piano, guitar and drums, the 60 Watt version is great with a 335. It's smooth sounding and the spatial effects can really add to the sound - much like a Leslie can add some animation to a boring organ waveform. They're also very robust and difficult to break.

The clue's in the name! This is not an amp for those of you who want to thrash power chords with massive amounts of distortion, but if you're "Guitar George, he knows all the chords, he doesn't want to make it cry or sing", it's damn near to perfect!
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"

apollomusicservice
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by apollomusicservice »

Very good SS amplifier that has the ability to work two channels in parallel. The first channel can be the sounded as platforms with more low range of
frequencies while the second select with bright definition of tone or perhaps add some effect in parallel for example delay. 8)
Attachments
JC120.jpg
JC120 eff.jpg

phatt
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by phatt »

mictester wrote:I can't understand why you think that these are dreadful, Phil - they're great for their intended use. In a small "jazz" combo, with bass, piano, guitar and drums, the 60 Watt version is great with a 335. It's smooth sounding and the spatial effects can really add to the sound - much like a Leslie can add some animation to a boring organ waveform. They're also very robust and difficult to break.

The clue's in the name! This is not an amp for those of you who want to thrash power chords with massive amounts of distortion, but if you're "Guitar George, he knows all the chords, he doesn't want to make it cry or sing", it's damn near to perfect!
From the very first model (long time ago) I just never bonded. If all you do is play super clean and strum chords they might pass and I agree the stereo chorus is super lush. Just don't ever push the distortion button,, it's pure hard edged fuzz,, absolutely gross and utterly useless,, to my ears.

I've learned from *Teemu* there are many models and maybe I don't get around enough to hear the better units. :lol:
Maybe different models sound sweeter but the few I've bumped into over the years I've never liked much.

A few years back I heard another one,,(an early model owned since new) This chap owned a seriously expensive white LesPaul and wanted to improve his stage setup and sound. He hacked away at some pop and rock songs for a while and no amount of pedals made it sound convincing. (His observations not mine)

I had brought along my 15Watt (built from junked radios) two knob valve Amp and it covered more ground. We agreed it certainly smoothed out the sound just not enough clean head room with his super hipower humbuckers.
Maybe as simple as a speaker swap but I certainly would not go out of my way to acquire one.
I would consider some of the earlier Peavey rigs to be a better investment and likely cost a lot less money.

In fairness these days many Amplifiers have excessively harsh tones and that includes a lot of all Glass rigs.

When I wuz a youngster my mate had a 40 Watt Fender and it had a big round sound which today is hard to come by.
I walk into a music shop today and all I hear is fizz and scream with no body or feel.
The fatness of the old gear has gone, now lost in hi gain monsters with no soul.
Clearly most rigs are geared towards the Hard metal sounds so little chance of the old magic.
Or am I just getting old? [smilie=a_whyme.gif]
Phil.

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

Phil - you're mostly right. A friend of mine is in an "extreme metal" band and to my ears it's just really loud, fast, screaming distortion without feeling.... Perhaps I'm getting old too.

The JC120 I have actually has a fuzz circuit that sounded pretty rough when new, but the addition of a couple of capacitors and resistors as a passive lowpass filter really tamed it. Mine is the one with the all-FET preamp, and the fuzz actually sounds quite "valvey" if it's not pushed too hard. There's also an interesting effect in the recovery amplifier after the tone control - there's an element of "sag" in the stage because the supply feed resistor is an order of magnitude too big - this also adds a bit of compression and a little more distortion. Playing a Gibson 335 into the thing, with a gentle chorus engaged, is really nice for jazz....
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"