Sovtek MIG 60 - Blown Output Section

Tube or solid-state, this section goes to eleven!
Hoffmanandrew1
Information

Post by Hoffmanandrew1 »

So I got a old Sovtek MIG 60 from Craigslist. The dude said that he thinks it's just missing some tubes but after I investigated it at home, it looks like the entire output section is blown. I will post pics.

Anyway, I aside from replacing the tube sockets and the output transformer, can anyone provide a wiring diagram or provide assistance on how to repair this thing?

It looks like it's pretty rare. The labeling is much plainer than the ones you commonly see on ebay and the stamp on the inside says 012/1992. Not sure if that means anything.

Your help is much appreciate and pics are coming.

Thanks,

Andrew

tonight, we ride
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall JCM 900 2500
Completed builds: TS-808 kit, Orange Squeezer kit, Super Duper clone, Big Muff (russian re-issue) creamy dreamer switchable mod,

Post by tonight, we ride »

At this point it's obligatory to say that if you aren't comfortable working around 400 Volts DC then you should take your amp to a qualified technician!!! Otherwise you may cause serious injury to yourself or even die!!

Here's a link to a schematic that google spit out pretty quick:

http://el34world.com/Forum/index.php?topic=13440.0
Hoffmanandrew1 wrote:it looks like the entire output section is blown
Even if you are posting pictures it may help to give some more information.

Is there evidence of fire? Bulging/leaking power capacitors? Cracked resistors or fried parts? An output transformer is an expensive thing to buy if you don't actually need one.

I'm not sure about the MIG 60, but I recently had a friend that was getting rid of a MIG 50 and had trouble getting $500 for it. They sound great, but there's not a lot of people that remember the hype around these amps that was there in the 90's. At least not in my neighborhood.

Pruttelherrie
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Pruttelherrie »

Andrew, can you post a (highres?) photo of the preamp layout? I have a MIG-60 but the preamp has been rewired to clone different amps at least twice... :roll:

I just had a look at hte backside, I have no clue at to what year it is. I can take pics of the powerstage if needed.

Hoffmanandrew1
Information

Post by Hoffmanandrew1 »

tonight, we ride wrote:At this point it's obligatory to say that if you aren't comfortable working around 400 Volts DC then you should take your amp to a qualified technician!!! Otherwise you may cause serious injury to yourself or even die!!

Here's a link to a schematic that google spit out pretty quick:

http://el34world.com/Forum/index.php?topic=13440.0
Hoffmanandrew1 wrote:it looks like the entire output section is blown
Even if you are posting pictures it may help to give some more information.

Is there evidence of fire? Bulging/leaking power capacitors? Cracked resistors or fried parts? An output transformer is an expensive thing to buy if you don't actually need one.

I'm not sure about the MIG 60, but I recently had a friend that was getting rid of a MIG 50 and had trouble getting $500 for it. They sound great, but there's not a lot of people that remember the hype around these amps that was there in the 90's. At least not in my neighborhood.
Hey guys. Sorry I dropped off the face of the earth there for a while. This is still a project that I would like to do. I will work on getting you pics this week. Also, I am a certified electronics technician but have been out of that field for about 10 years now so a bit rusty but am well aware of the dangers of working with high voltage.

With that said, yes. There was fire in this thing for sure and it looks like the output section will need to be rebuilt.I think the output transformer needs replaced either way because the wire Inc is shot. You will see in the pics.