19" tube amps, patch panels and shielding.

Tube or solid-state, this section goes to eleven!
Cub
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Cub »

I've decided to split up my big heavy rack and divide the units into smaller cases with a more manageable weight. The downside is that I have to connect more than just the speakers, MIDI cable and a power cord whenever I play somewhere and that's where I could use some advice from you.

Panels like these would make for a very elegant solution and it shouldn't take too long to connect everything.

But it's the view from the back that makes me scratch my head. Bits of exposed, unshielded wire only centimeters away from glowing tubes. Isn't that going to introduce noise?

Am I worrying over nothing here, or would it be better if forget about the Neutrik D-size panel connectors I went with these shielded jacks from Switchcraft instead?
I wish I were a chestnut tree, nourished by the sun.
With twigs and leaves and branches and conkers by the ton.

Pruttelherrie
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Pruttelherrie »

I think you worry too much :wink:

I assume 'glowing tubes' refers to audio tubes of your amps? In that case there's only worrying about 6.3V AC filament supply wires, which are most of the time twisted and *inside* the cases anyway!

Just my €0.02

phatt
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by phatt »

Cub wrote: Isn't that going to introduce noise?
NO,, not if the circuit(s) is made well.
IF you have a crap Ground plane wiring and earth loop issues then it may present some extra headaches.
Phil.

Cub
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Cub »

Thanks lads! :thumbsup

The preamp and power amp together have a dozen of tubes sticking out the back already, but it's not just that had me worried. There's wires with power, MIDI, a power supply for a couple of stompboxes, antennas for the wireless receiver and transmitter for the in-ear-monitor.

With all of that going on, I figured I really needed to shield off everything. But if you say it's all right, I trust I can go ahead and make some neat looking panels with those posh Neutrik connectors.
I wish I were a chestnut tree, nourished by the sun.
With twigs and leaves and branches and conkers by the ton.

Pruttelherrie
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Pruttelherrie »

You could always bend a bit of sheetmetal around the back of that panel should it turn out to pose problems in your case, but I don't expect that to be necessary.