Help with can caps in Traynor Bassmaster MKII

Tube or solid-state, this section goes to eleven!

Help with can caps in Traynor Bassmaster MKII

Postby aharon colman » 06 Nov 2016, 18:52

Its that time that comes around once in a long time to change the cap cans in a vintage amp and do you guys have any sugestions or tips to do this right.I was thinking of cutting then with a dremmel and replacing the insides with radials and closing the can back up with epoxy.
Thanks in advance
aharon colman
 
Posts: 17
Joined: 26 Aug 2016, 23:35
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 1 time

Re: Help with can caps in Traynor Bassmaster MKII

Postby okgb » 06 Nov 2016, 21:37

you can't find a correct or similar can ?
okgb
Diode Debunker
 
Posts: 737
Joined: 16 Mar 2010, 04:58
Has thanked: 174 times
Have thanks: 39 times

Re: Help with can caps in Traynor Bassmaster MKII

Postby aharon colman » 06 Nov 2016, 23:30

there is similar for more than U$30 a piece <but still not a direct replacement and you need a huge soldering iron to remove the blobs of solder from the chassie,I could dremel the solder but makes a mess inside the amp,not recommended by people who have done it.
Aharon
aharon colman
 
Posts: 17
Joined: 26 Aug 2016, 23:35
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 1 time

Re: Help with can caps in Traynor Bassmaster MKII

Postby okgb » 28 Nov 2016, 01:25

you can go a little higher in uf but probably not lower in voltage for a replacement, i've done some multi filter caps where I cut the leads off close to the can so the connections stay correct
and pull the can out and plop a new one in and solder to the old terminals , hope that helps or is possible in your case!
okgb
Diode Debunker
 
Posts: 737
Joined: 16 Mar 2010, 04:58
Has thanked: 174 times
Have thanks: 39 times

Re: Help with can caps in Traynor Bassmaster MKII

Postby phatt » 28 Nov 2016, 06:26

If it ain't broke,,, don't fix it. If the Amp works and gives no issue then leave Caps alone,,,,unless you want to create problems. :wink:
Phil.

For this message the author phatt has received thanks:
deltafred (28 Nov 2016, 09:33)
phatt
Diode Debunker
 
Posts: 909
Joined: 04 Aug 2010, 06:17
Location: Morayfield SE Qld AU
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 226 times

Update

Postby Aharon » 29 Mar 2017, 21:08

Ok I went ahead and changed the caps.It was a great learning experience.First I bought the caps I wanted,FT and JJ,then dremeled the tabs off ad ripped them out of the chasiss,easier than desoldering,vacuumed all the debris up and put the new ones in place having made a small schem of how everything was plus a couple of pics,then plugged the bugger to a GFI and a current limiter and it turned on fine.So i plug a cab to it and my guitar and nothing no sound,so on to troubleshoot ,took voltages and the PI had no volts so suspicious right there,checked resistors ,tubes etc all good so now I look for coupling caps shorted or leaking,found one ,replaced it and tried again,it worked fine but was a bit dark and woofy,its a bass amp,so on to mild modding.
Changed 4meg vol pots for 1meg,changed tone stack 0.1mF cap for 0.022 and cathode resistor in first stage to 25mF /25V from the original 250mF/250v,plug and played a little ,awesome,sparkly and tight bass :horsey: loud too. :popcorn:
I hope this is of use to anyone that wants to sevice one of these.
Aharon
Aharon
Solder Soldier
 
Posts: 180
Joined: 17 Aug 2007, 00:39
Location: Canada
Has thanked: 24 times
Have thanks: 7 times

Re: Update

Postby Aharon » 11 Apr 2017, 02:23

Aharon wrote:Ok I went ahead and changed the caps.It was a great learning experience.First I bought the caps I wanted,FT and JJ,then dremeled the tabs off ad ripped them out of the chasiss,easier than desoldering,vacuumed all the debris up and put the new ones in place having made a small schem of how everything was plus a couple of pics,then plugged the bugger to a GFI and a current limiter and it turned on fine.So i plug a cab to it and my guitar and nothing no sound,so on to troubleshoot ,took voltages and the PI had no volts so suspicious right there,checked resistors ,tubes etc all good so now I look for coupling caps shorted or leaking,found one ,replaced it and tried again,it worked fine but was a bit dark and woofy,its a bass amp,so on to mild modding.
Changed 4meg vol pots for 1meg,changed tone stack 0.1mF cap for 0.022 and cathode resistor in first stage to 25mF /25V from the original 250mF/250v,plug and played a little ,awesome,sparkly and tight bass :horsey: loud too. :popcorn:
I hope this is of use to anyone that wants to sevice one of these.
Aharon
[attachment=0]yba1a.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aharon
Solder Soldier
 
Posts: 180
Joined: 17 Aug 2007, 00:39
Location: Canada
Has thanked: 24 times
Have thanks: 7 times


Return to Amplifiers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 6 guests