Dr.Z For All

Tube or solid-state, this section goes to eleven!
ukbrightonbloke
Information

Post by ukbrightonbloke »

Thanks for comments. WIll report back on how it sounds! maybe upload a few soundbites

CM

kkregsg
Information
my favorite amplifier: Spitfire clone homebrew head
Completed builds: Beavis Noisy Cricket. Beavis Board control box. Matchless Spitfire clone. Modded Love Pedal Eternity clone, BBE Greenscreamer.

Post by kkregsg »

Dang! I've piled up a list of amps I want to build, but this just shot that all to hell. My twin brother said he once played a Route 66 and that it was "a religious experience." Guess I'll have to clear a spot for a Dr Zclone build. What tubes would anyone recommend for the Mini Meez? I'm not seeing it labeled, but I could just be way too tired to spot it. Thanks to the OP for this treasure trove of info.
"To do is to be." - Descartes
"To be is to do." - Sartre
"Doo be doo be doo." - Sinatra

ukbrightonbloke
Information

Big kt66's
Big kt66's
Got the amp Tubed up with

Matched Pair Russian Genalex Gold Lions KT66
2 x JJ ECC83s (for maz channel)
1 x TUNGSOL EF806 (for 66 channel)
1 x TUNGSOL Re-Issue 12AX7 (phase splitter tested)
Sovtek 5AR4

The KT66's are massive! if you are going to use these in a project, make sure you leave airspace between them!

All from HOTROX in UK who have a great selection and so far a great service.

Had to tweek the bias supply resitors as couldnt get the bias violtage high enough to get the right bias, which i set at 37ma.

The amp spunds gorgeous, sparkle on the top ends with nice warm low end, and thats with a crappy 1x12 cab I have! Cant wait to get the new 2 x12 cab made up with a vintage 30 and one of the new 'celestion cream back' speakers.
P9280010.JPG
The Hammond tranformers seem to be ok, need to push them for a while to see how warm they get.

Sahbin
Information

Post by Sahbin »

Hi I am interested in building the carmen ghia but I live in europe => 220V, I have no idea what pt, ot (choke?) to use, can you explain how what I should look for when buying a transformer for an amp (I can order from mouser europe). Thanks

okgb
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by okgb »

They seem basic , is there really anything that makes them better than other amps ?
[ p.s. I've never played or heard one , but they seem to go for big bux ]

ukbrightonbloke
Information

The hammond's I used in my route 66 work fine, can recommend them. There robust and cheap.

ukbrightonbloke
Information

I will be adding a 'squish' control at weekend, will report back and if works ok post the mod. Also making couple changes to lover rf on EF86.

wyatt
Information

Post by wyatt »

Sahbin wrote:Hi I am interested in building the carmen ghia but I live in europe => 220V, I have no idea what pt, ot (choke?) to use, can you explain how what I should look for when buying a transformer for an amp (I can order from mouser europe). Thanks
No choke in a Carmen Ghia.

A basic Fender Deluxe style OT or Marshall 18-watt OT works great...you looking for a 8,000 (8K) primary winding and then secondary should be whatever you want to match, I prefer a tapped secondary for multiple speaker load options.

Power transformer....
Secondary voltage 550-580@120-150mA center-tapped
Rectifier heater current 5V@2A
Tube heaters 6.3V@2.5A

The Hammond 370EX (550v) looks like a potential candidate, a little low on the B+ but in the ballpark. Many people build these using the transformers for a Marshall 18-watter and substitute in a 6V rectifier like the EZ81.

Sahbin
Information

Post by Sahbin »

Thank you wyatt :):)

MullisMan
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Dr. Z Maz 18 Jr.
Completed builds: Timmy, Klon, Zendrive, King of Tone, Rat, BSIAB2, Riot!, Fuzz Factory, Coloursound Overdriver, Divided by 13 Joyride, 70 Fuzz, BBE Sonic Stomp, Big Muff PI, Xotic EP Booster, Lovepedal Eternity, Jack Orman Minibooster, Dynacomp/Ross/Keeley Compressor, SHO

Post by MullisMan »

Does anybody have better gut shots of the StangRay? I'd like to come up with a more accurate schematic than the ones shown in the zip files here. From what i've read, Bkeck and the OP built a working clone from the layout and BOM, but I like to have all the information I can before I get started on a build. There were several inconsistencies between the Schematic and the Layout, I believe someone listed somewhere that the schematic shown is of an AC30, which is what the StangRay is based off of.

If anybody has a correct schematic I'd be grateful for that as well.

[smilie=rlp_smilie_242.gif]
I want to build it all.

MullisMan
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Dr. Z Maz 18 Jr.
Completed builds: Timmy, Klon, Zendrive, King of Tone, Rat, BSIAB2, Riot!, Fuzz Factory, Coloursound Overdriver, Divided by 13 Joyride, 70 Fuzz, BBE Sonic Stomp, Big Muff PI, Xotic EP Booster, Lovepedal Eternity, Jack Orman Minibooster, Dynacomp/Ross/Keeley Compressor, SHO

Post by MullisMan »

Hello all. I've gone back through the StangRay Layout that was included in the zip files and created a schematic that is more consistent with junctions and corrected the power section. I left off the effects loop from the original StangRay as I won't be including it in my build. Let me know if anybody sees a problem with this schematic.

Jeremy
Attachments
StangRaySchematic.png
I want to build it all.

The Apostle
Information

Post by The Apostle »

I'm currently halfway through building a Rt 66 at the moment.

darkbluemurder
Information

Post by darkbluemurder »

MullisMan wrote:Let me know if anybody sees a problem with this schematic.
No real problem but I believe the grid stop resistors before the power tubes are 1k5, not 7k5 (7k5 is not a standard value). Would not make a real difference though.

Also I think the screen grid resistors are 100R, not 110R - again a negligible difference.

Have fun with the build,
Stephan

finom1
Information

Post by finom1 »

The Apostle wrote:I'm currently halfway through building a Rt 66 at the moment.
Any update on builds & schematics?
Thank you!