Taming the Peavey "Nasties"

Tube or solid-state, this section goes to eleven!
andersom
Solder Soldier
Information
my favorite amplifier: Valvepower 18 watt

Post by andersom »

I cant seem to edit my post but i found all the parts.
So my Question is can i do these mods to the Deuce VT?

andersom
Solder Soldier
Information
my favorite amplifier: Valvepower 18 watt

Post by andersom »

i got the schematics from peavey fro the Deuce VT
here's a link :https://www.yousendit.com/download/Y1Rw ... MTdIRGc9PQ

I hope i can make the mods

xshredx
Information

Post by xshredx »

SG6505 wrote:...Unfortenatlely the 5150 schems I have found does not show the power supply...
The only thing I wanted to add is that Peavey will give you the schematics when you email them... so you don't need to look around the net, and try to decipher the hand-drawn ones... just ask peavey. (for a 5150/6505, the resistor to replace with a choke is R210).

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

By the way :wink:
Marshall stopped using filter chokes from the JCM900 series on (JCM2000 series as well :wink: ).
I have even come across a Silver Jubilee model minus the filter choke, and a JTM45 reissue head without the choke fitted - shame on you Marshall for cutting corners in the name of cheapness. :P :(
All these amps sound much tighter, clearer and have a much improved dynamic response when fitted with a choke filter like the earlier JCM800 series!!!!! :secret:
bajaman
Last edited by bajaman on 25 Jul 2009, 21:24, edited 1 time in total.
be kind to all animals - especially human beings

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

Ever wondered why Rammstein use Mesa Boogie Rectifier amps for that tight metal guitar sound :?: :hmmm: :hmmm:
They all have filter chokes - good for you Randall Smith :applause: :applause:
bajaman
be kind to all animals - especially human beings

SG6505
Information

Post by SG6505 »

Hello everyone! I have been at it again with my 6505 and thought I would share.

I think the 6506 have to much mids in the treble control and decided to swap the treble bleed caps 100pF+470pF (C60,C14) for
a 270pF cap. I ordered a silver mica and opened up the amp. When I located the tone caps I just stared at them for while....peavey uses puny ceramic caps for the tonestack, unbelievable. Luckily I had the other values in poly caps in my goodie-bag. Out with the ceramics and in with two poly and a silver mica. I wanted to swap the slope resistor(R28) aswell for a 68K but I didn't have that value at home, so I save that mod for later.

I also think the 6505 has way too much gain. I know it's a hi-gain amp but come on, it's ridiculous. I swapped two plate load resistors, R2, R4, 220K for 100K.

Review:
I like the treble control better now, with clean sound i can dial in a good bite without the tone getting to middy. I think the poly upgrade made a difference too, a quality harder to put my finger on, placebo maybe, but I think the tone has better "tube amp" feel. Like my dads twin reverb if you know what I mean.

The gain mod was very beneficial. Now I can use the hi gain input and really use the clean sound with hi volume. The useful gain range is a lot better. Before the mod when i tried to get crunch/rock tone i used the lo gain input but the sound didn't have any sustain. Now I believe the amp works better, and it still have so much gain on the lead it is silly.

Both these mods were nice to my ears and I can recommend them.

Disclaimer:
Don't try to do this if you aren't used to work on electronics. I had to disassemble the whole amp to get the mainboard out to swap the tone caps.

DougH
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by DougH »

When I located the tone caps I just stared at them for while....peavey uses puny ceramic caps for the tonestack, unbelievable.
They did the same thing with the Windsor. They use one high voltage coupling cap before the tone stack so they can use low voltage caps in the tone circuit. There's nothing wrong with that approach. It's one way they shave costs to get these amps down to the tight margins they require to list them at the low prices they sell for. And when I modded my Windsor it allowed me to use my low voltage "pedal" caps I had in my bench stock.

Oh and as far as the ceramic thing goes, some people prefer the sound of ceramics in certain positions in a high gain amp. That's a taste issue. I've been using silver micas for a while but am getting tired of their spikiness. I'm considering using ceramics or trying polypros.
"You have just tubescreamered or fuzzfaced yourself " -polarbearfx

SG6505
Information

Post by SG6505 »

That is very clever. I had not noticed the coupling cap before the tonestack. Thank you for pointing that out. That makes those tiny ceramics more relevant. I made a quick search for a thread about your windsor amp, but didn't find it. Did you document your mods. I thought i could find some nice tips there.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it. :)

DougH
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by DougH »

I posted about it here some time ago but this is where I keep the up to date info on what I did:

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main. ... p/windsor/

Edit:
There's nothing wrong with that approach.
I should amend that somewhat. If you do it enough throughout the circuit the unnecessary phase shift that has accumulated could cause problems. It's not the way I'd design an amp from scratch. But, including a 4x12 cabinet, what do you want for $400? :mrgreen:
"You have just tubescreamered or fuzzfaced yourself " -polarbearfx

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

Thought I might chime in on this thread, since it's related to Peavey amps, and also since I haven't posted in any of the threads for so long, anyway, a good mate of mine has asked me to do some mods to his Peavey Triumph to make it easier to use as part of his rig setup, the mods were suggested to him by blackbunny, the amp is currently at my place and my mate and I are waiting on some needed parts to do the mods.

Bajaman has suggested doing the Power Supply Choke mod to my Marshall MA100C amp and i will be doing it as soon as I can get a suitable Choke ordered online.
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

Beedoola
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Beedoola »

Old thread resurrection.

I have a VTM 120 - which choke from MM would work in the 120? I see they sell one for the 5150, Butcher and VTM 60.

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

Beedoola wrote: 28 Nov 2020, 04:48 Old thread resurrection.

I have a VTM 120 - which choke from MM would work in the 120? I see they sell one for the 5150, Butcher and VTM 60.
These amps all have nearly the exact same power amp and power supply. A choke intended for a Butcher would probably be a perfect fit. They probably spec the same choke for all the 100w Peavey amps.

Though, I would check the spec of the Mercury one and then see if you can find the same thing from a different brand, because it would likely be cheaper. Mercury Magnetics transformers are very overpriced. $48 is not a reasonable price for a filter choke when you can get an excellent quality Hammond for half that much (or less). The filter choke isn't a component I would spend alot of money on. I've used cheap Weber ones alot and they never had a problem.
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

Beedoola
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Beedoola »

soulsonic wrote: 29 Nov 2020, 02:00
Beedoola wrote: 28 Nov 2020, 04:48 Old thread resurrection.

These amps all have nearly the exact same power amp and power supply. A choke intended for a Butcher would probably be a perfect fit. They probably spec the same choke for all the 100w Peavey amps.

Though, I would check the spec of the Mercury one and then see if you can find the same thing from a different brand, because it would likely be cheaper. Mercury Magnetics transformers are very overpriced. $48 is not a reasonable price for a filter choke when you can get an excellent quality Hammond for half that much (or less). The filter choke isn't a component I would spend alot of money on. I've used cheap Weber ones alot and they never had a problem.

Thanks, SS.

There aren’t any specs on the MM website.

Looking at Hammonds: do I need the same impedance as the 400ohm resistor? How many Henrys and Max DC voltage?

I’m never installed a choke so I’m not sure what to look for.