Solid state Amp discussion allowed (of course!)

Tube or solid-state, this section goes to eleven!

Solid state Amp discussion allowed (of course!)

Postby Entrant_21 » 05 Jan 2009, 18:30

Hi, I know this is a predominantly a stompboxes site, but theres a section for tube amps but none for SS amps. Why is this?

Not a rant, just wandering :)

Happy Stomping
Last edited by modman on 06 Jan 2009, 00:04, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: retitled and stickied
Entrant_21
Breadboard Brother
 
Posts: 104
Joined: 01 Apr 2008, 22:56
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 3 times

Re: SS amp section?

Postby modman » 05 Jan 2009, 21:32

You are very right in bringing this up, I put an end to this discrimination, for which I alone am to blame... :slap: Indeed saw some SS amp post in this (café section), because of this very reason.

thanks!

If anybody sees SS amp discussion anywhere else than in the Amplifiers section, just report the post, and we mods will move it.
"The whole point of diy is diy. It's not dsoiyathodtr - do some of it yourself and then have others do the rest" (paulc)
User avatar
modman
a d m i n
 
Posts: 4238
Joined: 19 Jun 2007, 17:57
Has thanked: 2788 times
Have thanks: 483 times

Re: SS amp section?

Postby Entrant_21 » 05 Jan 2009, 21:42

modman wrote:You are very right in bringing this up, I put an end to this discrimination, for which I alone am to blame... :slap: Indeed saw some SS amp post in this (café section), because of this very reason.

thanks!

If anybody sees SS amp discussion anywhere else than in the Amplifiers section, just report the post, and we mods will move it.


Awesome :) thanks for the change, im always working on SS amps and never thought of making schematics as theres nowhere to post them :P

we are now an equal 'state' community :lol:
Entrant_21
Breadboard Brother
 
Posts: 104
Joined: 01 Apr 2008, 22:56
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 3 times

Re: SS amp section?

Postby modman » 06 Jan 2009, 00:02

It takes more time to draw a schematic than to rename the section. :wink:
Moving this as a sticky to the Amplifier section, then, so people know.
"The whole point of diy is diy. It's not dsoiyathodtr - do some of it yourself and then have others do the rest" (paulc)
User avatar
modman
a d m i n
 
Posts: 4238
Joined: 19 Jun 2007, 17:57
Has thanked: 2788 times
Have thanks: 483 times

Re: Solid state Amp discussion allowed (of course!)

Postby kurotenshi » 15 Mar 2009, 04:08

Hi, i'm new on the forum (and on the DIY world).
I'm very interested in SS amps because I believe they provide a more, modular way of building your rig.
Explaining, with a TRANSPARENT power amp, such as an SS amp, one can build his own sound with preamps and FX so the power of the rig is completely independent.
Furthermore I believe that there is some way to emulate tube sound within human perception with SS components.

Some one care to comment?
kurotenshi
 
Posts: 27
Joined: 10 Mar 2009, 03:34
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 0 time

Re: Solid state Amp discussion allowed (of course!)

Postby Broadcaster » 15 Mar 2009, 09:08

In case you didn't know already, there is http://www.ssguitar.com which is dedicated to solid state guitar amps (well, the name might implicate this). To be honest do not visit that site too often, the tubes-are-all mantra seems to be stronger than expected, even though I should know better :wink: .
Some folks from the other-other forum (yeah, I know...) seem to hang around there more regular.
User avatar
Broadcaster
 
Posts: 19
Joined: 15 Aug 2007, 22:09
Location: Here, there and everywhere
Has thanked: 17 times
Have thanks: 4 times

Re: Solid state Amp discussion allowed (of course!)

Postby SPeter » 02 Apr 2009, 17:46

Hi,
I think you will be pleasantly surprised by a book about SS guitar :D amplifiers:
http://www.thatraymond.com/downloads/so ... a_v1.0.pdf
Enjoy! :D

For this message the author SPeter has received thanks: 2
deltafred (14 Oct 2011, 11:41), squatch (08 Jun 2011, 05:40)
SPeter
Cap Cooler
 
Posts: 573
Joined: 08 Jan 2008, 22:10
Has thanked: 7 times
Have thanks: 75 times

Re: Solid state Amp discussion allowed (of course!)

Postby wildschwein » 03 Sep 2009, 15:19

SPeter wrote:Hi,
I think you will be pleasantly surprised by a book about SS guitar :D amplifiers:
http://www.thatraymond.com/downloads/so ... a_v1.0.pdf
Enjoy! :D

This is awesome - thanks for the link!
wildschwein
Breadboard Brother
 
Posts: 56
Joined: 31 Jul 2008, 12:38
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 0 time

Re: Solid state Amp discussion allowed (of course!)

Postby KMG » 03 Feb 2010, 17:52

I want to offer you to look on this page on my website belonged to solid state power amplifiers
http://milas.spb.ru/~kmg/fetpa_en.html
This versions of amps have sound very close to tube ones.
Only one disadvantage - you have to build output transformer by your owm hands, because there are no standard transformers with matching primary coil impedance.
At the other pages of website you can find informatiom also about SS preamps having very close sound to tube prototypes
http://milas.spb.ru/~kmg/index_en.html
Image
User avatar
KMG
Solder Soldier
 
Posts: 210
Joined: 02 Feb 2010, 21:26
Location: Russia
Has thanked: 5 times
Have thanks: 81 times

Re: Solid state Amp discussion allowed (of course!)

Postby Moander » 03 Jun 2010, 12:13

Broadcaster wrote:..... there is http://www.ssguitar.com ....


I thank you for that link, and am glad to see more support for SS amps... as well as Hybrids.....
http://tubeworks.mortality.net - Tube Works / Mosvalve Fan Site
User avatar
Moander
 
Posts: 6
Joined: 31 May 2010, 12:48
Location: Fort Myers, Florida
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 0 time

Re: Solid state Amp discussion allowed (of course!)

Postby DimebuGG » 14 Oct 2011, 10:57

I posted this over SSGuitar.com.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Finch: A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire
Stifler: Suck my dick - Ron Jeremy
User avatar
DimebuGG
Solder Soldier
 
Posts: 205
Joined: 02 Sep 2008, 12:37
Location: Doha, Qatar
Has thanked: 6 times
Have thanks: 142 times

Re: Solid state Amp discussion allowed (of course!)

Postby soundclone » 20 Oct 2011, 05:20

DimebuGG wrote:I posted this over SSGuitar.com.

is this veryfied?
soundclone
 
Posts: 17
Joined: 26 Nov 2009, 02:53
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 0 time

Re: Solid state Amp discussion allowed (of course!)

Postby RnFR » 20 Oct 2011, 05:35

ssguitar is a cool forum. lots of smart dudes I've there. the Randall schem looks factory, so it's verified as much as you can trust Randall. how's that thing sound anyway? ubermetal?

edit: uh, yes. I would definitely say uber. might make a decent preamp/preamp pedal if you can get a decent power supply. you could just run a couple voltage doublers, or even just run it at 18V. doesn't look too complicated.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO
User avatar
RnFR
Old Solderhand
 
Posts: 5136
Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 07:02
Location: Inner Earth
Has thanked: 138 times
Have thanks: 170 times

Re: Solid state Amp discussion allowed (of course!)

Postby rocklander » 25 Apr 2012, 10:29

so I've built the ruby and use it for testing pedals, but there are times I'd like a lil more power.. can anyone recommend a similar kind of DIY SS amp? I'm scared shitless of the high voltages in tube amps so wont go near that field.. but have access to a bunch of laptop power supplies so have ready access to >=2A >=18VDV power.. can I effectively swap out the lm386 for something like a tda2030 in the ruby schem, or is that WAY too simplistic? (I suspect there'll be an overwhelming 'yes' to that after the laughter dies down).
any suggestions for a <30W SS schem I can make with a laptop power supply driving it?
world's greatest tautologist ...in the world

Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.

User avatar
rocklander
Old Solderhand
 
Posts: 2887
Joined: 18 Apr 2008, 12:33
Location: Rotorua, New Zealand
Has thanked: 1558 times
Have thanks: 286 times

Re: Solid state Amp discussion allowed (of course!)

Postby rizibiz » 25 Apr 2012, 11:03

There is Taylor's Tiny Giant amp at http://musicpcb.com/pcbs/tiny-giant-amp/ 12V-18V - 10-15W
I've built this into a 1590BB with a BJF Sea Blue EQ as preamp.
http://ompldr.org/vZGN5Zw

To be honest I did not like it. Just as I did not like the Ruby. :(

For this message the author rizibiz has received thanks:
rocklander (25 Apr 2012, 11:17)
User avatar
rizibiz
Breadboard Brother
 
Posts: 51
Joined: 05 Dec 2011, 09:26
Location: Tremolo springs
Has thanked: 6 times
Have thanks: 23 times

Re: Solid state Amp discussion allowed (of course!)

Postby rocklander » 25 Apr 2012, 11:20

rizibiz wrote:There is Taylor's Tiny Giant amp at http://musicpcb.com/pcbs/tiny-giant-amp/ 12V-18V - 10-15W
I've built this into a 1590BB with a BJF Sea Blue EQ as preamp.
http://ompldr.org/vZGN5Zw

To be honest I did not like it. Just as I did not like the Ruby. :(

what is it you didn't like about it? (or the ruby for that matter)..
this isn't something I'd use live, it's simply something physically light to hear the guitar and effects.. mostly so I can test out a vox vdl looper I have recently bought and can't be arsed lugging my valve amp upstairs heh.
world's greatest tautologist ...in the world

Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.

User avatar
rocklander
Old Solderhand
 
Posts: 2887
Joined: 18 Apr 2008, 12:33
Location: Rotorua, New Zealand
Has thanked: 1558 times
Have thanks: 286 times

Re: Solid state Amp discussion allowed (of course!)

Postby allesz » 25 Apr 2012, 13:33

Hey rocklander. I have a question: what kind of speaker do you use?
I don't think that Ruby is a definitive amp, but it is good for holidays and for the first tests (late at night) of pedals.
I have built mine with a really small mylar speaker (3 or 4 cm) and it sounds pretty shitty; but when connected to a good cab it always surprise me.

I made experiments with a tda7052 (probably... :scratch: ) and posted it in a tread here at FSB (it's title should be "the smallest amp ever"); right now this amp belongs to my bass player, I rememnber it being more powerfull and cleaner compared to the ruby.... so probably it can be better for your porposes.

For this message the author allesz has received thanks:
rocklander (25 Apr 2012, 21:07)
allesz
Cap Cooler
 
Posts: 525
Joined: 15 Jun 2009, 17:29
Location: Italy
Has thanked: 46 times
Have thanks: 118 times

Re: Solid state Amp discussion allowed (of course!)

Postby rizibiz » 25 Apr 2012, 15:58

rocklander wrote:
rizibiz wrote:There is Taylor's Tiny Giant amp at http://musicpcb.com/pcbs/tiny-giant-amp/ 12V-18V - 10-15W
I've built this into a 1590BB with a BJF Sea Blue EQ as preamp.
http://ompldr.org/vZGN5Zw

To be honest I did not like it. Just as I did not like the Ruby. :(

what is it you didn't like about it? (or the ruby for that matter)..
this isn't something I'd use live, it's simply something physically light to hear the guitar and effects.. mostly so I can test out a vox vdl looper I have recently bought and can't be arsed lugging my valve amp upstairs heh.


Ok, I probably lack the English to describe it properly. I really mean no offense to the Tiny Giant nor the Ruby but these sounded not musical (in a guitar amp sense) enough to me. Both sounded a bit Hi-Fi like, similar to when you connect a guitar (through a line level preamp of course) to the home stereo. And I tried them through at least four different speakers. A Bugera V22 12" speaker in it's own cab, a Fender Frontman 25R 10" speaker in its own cab, an Eminence Ramrod 10" in the Frontman cab, a Jensen MOD 6 (6") in a Roland Micro cube cab and a tiny 4.5" fullband (?) speaker - no cab. Most of these are proper guitar speakers in proper open back combo cabinets. So it did not depend on the drivers.

Ok, I admit it's not fair comparing a Ruby to the Bugera V22 which is a beautiful sounding all tube amp and not something you put together on your bench, but the Frontman is an old's cool SS box with chip poweramp so nothing exotic. And these projects are great, they can drive a speaker cab well enough but their tone is lacking. For me they did not cut it even for practice (the Microcube is lovely btw.) and I'm not even too picky or a tubehead.

The more I think about it I can probably describe the difference as the lack of brillance or presence. Something like that. Hope it helps.

Again, I emphasize I enjoyed both the Tiny Giant and the Ruby but they are more like a proof of concept or a "toy" rather than a proper amp which is fine in every way, just wanted to let you know what to expect.

For this message the author rizibiz has received thanks:
rocklander (25 Apr 2012, 21:07)
User avatar
rizibiz
Breadboard Brother
 
Posts: 51
Joined: 05 Dec 2011, 09:26
Location: Tremolo springs
Has thanked: 6 times
Have thanks: 23 times

Re: Solid state Amp discussion allowed (of course!)

Postby rizibiz » 25 Apr 2012, 16:04

Ok, maybe all you need for these to sound great is a good preamp. Or a POD, or something like that.

For this message the author rizibiz has received thanks:
rocklander (25 Apr 2012, 21:07)
User avatar
rizibiz
Breadboard Brother
 
Posts: 51
Joined: 05 Dec 2011, 09:26
Location: Tremolo springs
Has thanked: 6 times
Have thanks: 23 times

Re: Solid state Amp discussion allowed (of course!)

Postby rocklander » 25 Apr 2012, 21:07

allesz wrote:Hey rocklander. I have a question: what kind of speaker do you use?
I don't think that Ruby is a definitive amp, but it is good for holidays and for the first tests (late at night) of pedals.
I have built mine with a really small mylar speaker (3 or 4 cm) and it sounds pretty shitty; but when connected to a good cab it always surprise me.

I made experiments with a tda7052 (probably... :scratch: ) and posted it in a tread here at FSB (it's title should be "the smallest amp ever"); right now this amp belongs to my bass player, I rememnber it being more powerfull and cleaner compared to the ruby.... so probably it can be better for your porposes.


thanks for that...here's the link (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8510) but unfortunately the attachment seems to be one of the ones lost :cry: any chance you can repost?. I really should try the ruby into a better speaker.. it's currently going into an old car speaker (I got for free from a wrecker).. it's idea for pedal testing, but not all that musical... my plan is to have 1 or 2 6(odd) inch speakers in a wee cab I can easily lug around.

rizibiz wrote:Again, I emphasize I enjoyed both the Tiny Giant and the Ruby but they are more like a proof of concept or a "toy" rather than a proper amp which is fine in every way, just wanted to let you know what to expect.

this is actually very helpful. so thanks very much. part of what I'll be practicing on the looper is actually acoustic guitar (and maybe vocals too? it has that as an option on the VDL looper) so a more hifi sound is probably not a bad thing in my case..

rizibiz wrote:Ok, maybe all you need for these to sound great is a good preamp. Or a POD, or something like that.

and this could make it more flexible too... maybe the SBEQ as a preamp, and a cab sim as well and have them switchable..
world's greatest tautologist ...in the world

Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.

User avatar
rocklander
Old Solderhand
 
Posts: 2887
Joined: 18 Apr 2008, 12:33
Location: Rotorua, New Zealand
Has thanked: 1558 times
Have thanks: 286 times

Next

Return to Amplifiers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests