Two-Rock and Carvin Belair

Tube or solid-state, this section goes to eleven!
DWBH
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by DWBH »

ATTENTION: I'm not asking for schematics. Though I wouldn't mind.

I LOVE John Mayer's tone. Seems he's using his Signature Two-Rock amp - which is a Custom Reverb Sig amp with some mods. I've seen him also with a Bassman (Victoria, not Fender, I think).

What are these Two-Rock amps based on?

Completely new design?
Or something based on the Fender eras? Blackface, Brownface?

These amps seem to have the headroom of a Blackface, but not as bright or as "cold". They seem more hot (though punchy), like a Tweed.

Now, I'm a noob about tubes and amps, so please correct me if I said sth wrong. :P

----

What about the Carvin Belair?

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

I have the Carvin BelAir schematic - email me baja002@clear.net.nz if you want it :wink:
bajaman

DWBH
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by DWBH »

bajaman wrote:I have the Carvin BelAir schematic - email me baja002@clear.net.nz if you want it :wink:
bajaman
So done :D :D

vanessa
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by vanessa »

DWBH wrote: What are these Two-Rock amps based on?
Most likely some Fender variant. Just about everything has its roots in some Fender design or another.

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

$10,000 for the Overdrive Signature?!!!!
It doesn't look like no $10,000 amp... looks like my prices just went up to $15,000... :P

chris_d
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by chris_d »

vanessa wrote:
Most likely some Fender variant. Just about everything has its roots in some Fender design or another.
Specifically they are a continuation of the development of the Dumble-style Fender variant. Those Two Rock guys get cranky when you call them Dumble clones, but they are basically coming straight from that framework.

-chris

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by soulsonic »

Looks like they're "inspired" by Dumble's prices too.

vanessa
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by vanessa »

chris_d wrote:
vanessa wrote:
Specifically they are a continuation of the development of the Dumble-style Fender variant.
-chris
Rrrrrrrreally, you don't say...

:P

bacaruda
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by bacaruda »

I'm pretty sure their amps are all Dumble/TW clones. Read Dave Hunter's interview with Ken Fischer - Ken talks about TR in there and what they stole from him. One if their amps is a dead clone of the Express but with a master volume and fx loop. Kinda defeats the purpose if you ask me.

I think JM's tone actually has more to do with his fingers than his amps - I don't care for his music much, but he really is a great player. A strat with good pickups and a fender amp will get you "that" tone IMO.

DougH
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by DougH »

I played a 2R at an amp fest a few years ago. I can't remember the model and don't know what, if any, existing amp it was supposed to be based on. It was an EL84 output section and had a bazillion knobs & switches on the preamp.

I couldn't stand it... "So many controls- so little tone" I guess would be the way to describe it. I never could dial up a decent sound with it. It reminded me of an old Boogey in that regard. If it takes me a half hour to dial up a decent sound (and in this case I still failed) I figure what's the point? Give me a well-designed, simple, even primitive amp any day over one of these "knob monsters". Some of these "swiss army knife" control panels just strike me as band-aids, rubber bands, and bailing wire intended to fix something that was not designed right in the first place, or at least thought out a little ahead of time.

jt
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by jt »

Mayer's amp surely looks and sounds like a Dumble inspired amp.If you are interested in that kind of amps you should join ampgarage forum.Lot's of info there.

Bernardduur
Transistor Tuner
Information
my favorite amplifier: Welagen - ODR

Post by Bernardduur »

Yes, on ampgarage there was a 2rock dissected and it has a lot of similarities to the Dumble
'No more....... loud music.......'
Follow my love for pedals and amps on https://bernardduur.blogspot.com and https://www.instagram.com/bernardduur1

DWBH
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by DWBH »

Which Dumble?

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by soulsonic »

The Overdrive Special seems to be one of the Dumbles that's most obviously copied by Two Rock.

I agree with Doug as far as general views on amps are concerned. I'd take a nice sounding primitive amp any day over a zillion knob monster. Though I admit, I do like the whole fancy high gain/channel switching thing - I can even get into 3 and 4 channel beasts - but each channel should be simple and good sounding.
I remember trying out one of those four-channel Egnater amps at Make n' Music in Chicago, and even though there was alot of knobs because of all the channels, each channel was pretty straightforward and they all sounded good. I like those amps where you can pretty much set the knobs anywhere and it will sound good, and the Egnater seemed to do that pretty well.

That being said... I've done entire gigs with one channel and no pedals, so if the amp's got "it", nothing else matters. And if the amp doesn't have "it", there's usually nothing you can do to fix it other than get a different amp.
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

All these discussions about amplifiers are meaningless without mentioning the speakers used with them. :wink:
Just call me Mr ALNICO :lol: :lol: :lol:
bajaman

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by soulsonic »

No way, man - it's only Field Coils for me, all the way! Field Coil speakers are the new super mojo! :lol:

I like Alnico in small amps, and Ceramic with big amps.
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

Bernardduur
Transistor Tuner
Information
my favorite amplifier: Welagen - ODR

Post by Bernardduur »

bajaman wrote:All these discussions about amplifiers are meaningless without mentioning the speakers used with them. :wink:
Just call me Mr ALNICO :lol: :lol: :lol:
bajaman
+1

I LOVE my Dumble with the Eminence AlNiCo's; just complete my sound!
'No more....... loud music.......'
Follow my love for pedals and amps on https://bernardduur.blogspot.com and https://www.instagram.com/bernardduur1

seniorLoco
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by seniorLoco »

i have got MM HD150 4x6L6 into a 4x12 Fane loaded Soundcity cab (apparently made by Dallas Arbiter).

So ....i got all this booteek amp owners always begging me to sell it .... i wonder why ...its got crappy ss pre's but mind blowing power section tho.
plus a freaky phasor ...

Maybe its the speakers :?

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by soulsonic »

Old Fane speakers are supposed to be valuable to collectors. People say they sound good. Do yours sound good?
Alot of my friends used Music Man amps... they had them because they could get them cheap. During the mid-90's I think the average Music Man amp sold for $250 to $350. I remember when Silverface Fenders sold for about that much too. I have a '68 Silverface Dual Showman, and when I was in High School I tore it up and modded it to death because I didn't think it'd ever really be worth anything because people were always talking about how the Blackface ones were the good ones and the Silverface ones were junk. Now the Silverface ones sell for as much as the Blackface ones used to.
I don't understand why. To me, Silverface Fenders and Music Mans were always supposed to be the cool budget priced vintage amps that you could find for cheap because it was understood that they don't usually sound that great. Now, people don't care if an amp sounds crummy - if it says Fender on it and it's old then it's automatically valuable. I think that's stupid.

seniorLoco
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by seniorLoco »

The Fane is an experience .... but it needs higher watt amps to push it to sonic bliss. So it couples well with my 150watt MusicMan especially at louder volume levels.....it just craves power. I hope they reissue these speakers .....bloody good i tell ya.

The clarity of the above combo helps me tweak pedals as i can hear almost everything .... i am glad to own em. 8)