Best runoffgroove build?

Anything non-technical you want to talk about, talk it over and have beer ...

Moderators: culturejam, moderators

• Advertisement

Re: Best runoffgroove build?

Postby culturejam » 31 Dec 2010, 17:34

The Big Daddy is fun, as is the Mockman. Really, I mostly like their non-JFET circuits best.
culturejam
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 524 times

Postby Ripdivot » 31 Dec 2010, 21:29

I really like the Umble and it is a simple build.
Ripdivot
Resistor Ronker

Have thanks: 37 times

Postby DaveKerr » 31 Dec 2010, 22:08

I've made only the TriVibe (bought a board, my pref-ku is weak), it's damned good.
... multiple LFO waveforms (saw up, saw down, triangle, square); a more flexible envelope with attack/release controls as well as inverted envelope. I am afraid it will have more knobs than the TGP annual convention - frequencycentral
DaveKerr
Solder Soldier

Have thanks: 9 times

Postby roseblood11 » 31 Dec 2010, 23:20

Umble, Supreaux Deux, Tri Vibe

They are so different, it´s not easy to compare them
roseblood11
Opamp Operator

Have thanks: 264 times

Postby RnFR » 01 Jan 2011, 02:48

I really want build the supreaux deux. it looks very cool, and I believe it is the last dirt pedal they published- utilizing the experiments with the fetzer valve. not to mention the supros are cool little amps!
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO
RnFR
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 163 times

Postby rocklander » 01 Jan 2011, 11:38

built a few supreaux (not deux), couple of tri vibes, a couple 22/7, couple thors, a ruby, a phozer, an odie and a professor tweed ... they're all good except I couldn't get the proftweed going cos I was just starting out and it ended up on my DIY pile'o'shame and haven't been back.
personal fav is the supreaux and tri-vibe.. they remain on my gigging board.
Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.

rocklander
FSB Moderator

Have thanks: 255 times

Postby mictester » 01 Jan 2011, 16:17

My choice would be the Tri-vibe. Pretty much every setting on the controls is musically useful. It's also got that excellent oscillator - a very elegant solution to a problem I've tried (and failed) to solve. It's also interesting to add an extra pair of phase stages, which you can switch-select, with different filter caps in them. You can build this thing to be a complex as you could ever want, but the basic design is very elegant.
Everything gets easier with practice, except getting up in the morning!

For this message the author mictester has received thanks: 3
B Tremblay (01 Jan 2011, 17:35), GuitarlCarl (01 Jan 2011, 20:23), telecaster (01 Jan 2011, 17:25)
mictester
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 626 times

Postby kaycee » 07 Jan 2011, 18:15

I've built the Supreaux Deux, Tri-Vibe and a modded May Queen and like all of them very much. I enjoy building ROG projects, they sound good and are well presented :)
kaycee
Solder Soldier

Have thanks: 11 times

Postby MoonWatcher » 07 Jan 2011, 21:43

I know that it's easy to pass it over, and it might seem pretty underwhelming to some users, but I LOVE the Peppermill. It might be subtle, but it's in all the right ways.

I mainly play single coil guitars, and for a lot of lead work, the Peppermill is great at eeking out all of those little harmonics with a bit of bark on partial chords and such so that I can play a little bit more relaxed, and not have to strangle each last little thing out of the guitar.

The Peppermill is also great in front of many other light to medium clipping boxes. The best part is that the circuit is so simple that you can get one built up in no time.
MoonWatcher
Cap Cooler

Have thanks: 36 times

Postby okgb » 09 Jan 2011, 14:38

I fixed some one's matchbox , gotta say unimpressed
rough home etch board for a gritty med gain sound
makes me not want to finish the pcb i populated for myself
or try any others
okgb
Cap Cooler

Have thanks: 24 times

Postby culturejam » 09 Jan 2011, 17:27

How the hell did this stupid thread become "my" thread?

Which one of my fellow mods set me up to look like a tool? :lol:
culturejam
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 524 times

Postby modman » 09 Jan 2011, 18:56

Must have been the mojo, and the lettering, but I really loved the treble trashing wild glassy clarity of the...

it howls and screams and you can dial in a real bass honk, IYKWIM. :mrgreen:

But they are a bitch to build: biasing is hell and every time it's different. I build two of them, gave one away had another on loan to someone who pretended he never had it. They just don't want to give them back... So I don't even have one for me...

As far as cascaded jfet stages are concerned, I always used the 'lower gain' 2N5457 which I notice now to be the cornerstone of the Dirty Little Secret. For years, everybody just used the J201 jfet, and it's hell in these kinds of circuits. A minibooster too should have these jfet, like the Fat Bastard (even stipulated by Paul)...

Don't build much these days... but I did do some forum cleaning lately... :thumbsup
"So, I guess after all, maybe the whole world is a classroom. but it's one where the teacher is also the student, and everybody can design their own courses to take. shit just got deep!" (RnFR)
modman
a d m i n

Have thanks: 135 times

Postby DrNomis » 09 Jan 2011, 23:35

I'm thinking of trying some of the Runoffgroove projects myself,but what I'm going to do is try building them on Vero/Stripboard,and seeing if I can create some neat layouts,going to try the Tri-Vibe first,but,there's a bit of a problem-the local Electronics Parts Store,Jaycar Electronics,doesn't seem to stock either the LM13600 or the LM13700,or even any other OTA IC....hmmmmm....what to do?.... :hmmm:
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.
DrNomis
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 324 times

Postby rocklander » 09 Jan 2011, 23:38

futurlec has 'em
Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.

rocklander
FSB Moderator

Have thanks: 255 times

Postby DrNomis » 09 Jan 2011, 23:53

Thanks,I'll give them a try.... :)
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.
DrNomis
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 324 times

Postby modman » 10 Jan 2011, 06:53

connectjam wrote:How the hell did this stupid thread become "my" thread?

culturewire wrote:Which one of my fellow mods set me up to look like a tool? :lol:

How come you ask so many questions then?

mockman
"So, I guess after all, maybe the whole world is a classroom. but it's one where the teacher is also the student, and everybody can design their own courses to take. shit just got deep!" (RnFR)
modman
a d m i n

Have thanks: 135 times

Postby trevize » 10 Jan 2011, 08:31

Tube Reamer v.2!
Great Overdrive, stripped down TS with great sound.
I remember that I had to lower the gain of the second stage because volume was really too high. It's a great pedal for low gain sounds or boost with a hint of dirt.
It really likes my bassman head but didn't sound well with my old twin.

I always read with interest all the Fet related articles on the runoffgroove website but in the end I always built effects and preamps with minibooster topology because of the auto biasing. I really like being able to use different voltages to have different sounds (using a higher voltage is always fun, but starving minibooster is even better!) and I'm worried about the consistency of my power supply: If I build something is mainly for gigging and not for home use so I want to be able to power up them in every way, even battery.
trevize
Breadboard Brother

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby HEAD » 10 Jan 2011, 11:17

Thor, TriVibe and 22/7. :thumbsup
HEAD
Resistor Ronker

Have thanks: 21 times

Postby raphrav » 23 Jan 2011, 09:59

tried a lot of them and most are great! :)

best circuit is the eighteen, i think. even if it has not enough distortion to be a stand-alone-overdrive it's great too boost amps. never wanna play my old AVT without that again :)

the best article is in my opinion the one about the Fetzer Valve. kinda innovative and really interesting and it also explains the idea of changing tubes into FET's a bit closer than "plate is drain"... ;)

but there are also ones that didn't come out that well to me: i had to compare the english channel to a mixture between razor and chainsaw (perhaps only my taste) for example, and e.g. the peppermill has simply not enough balls: even after some mods to rise gain an to govern some fizzy heights i disassembled it again (and gave the enclosure to a mean OCD).
raphrav

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby fuzzfiend » 25 Jul 2012, 17:41

I know this is an old thread, but a great topic for someone looking for build suggestions. I've only built the English Channel (so far) and I have to say it makes my Hot Rod DeVille sound like an AC30 without the additional weight and cost of that amp. It can get painfully bright, but there is enough control with the EQ and Cut controls to make it very usable. This pedal is the core of my tone and I leave it on all the time. I've found that the bass gets "flubby" on high gain settings, but it's great for producing bright tones from clean through moderate crunch. I tried the suggested cap & pot mod on the Cut control, but it seemed to lose much of its "Voxy" character.
Q: How many bluegrass musicians does it take to change a light bulb?
A: Three. One to change the bulb and two to complain that it's electric.
fuzzfiend

Have thanks: 6 times

Next

• Advertisement

Return to Freestomp Café!