Favorite boost/low gain, amazing pedal?

Anything non-technical you want to talk about, talk it over and have beer ...

Re: Favorite boost/low gain, amazing pedal?

Postby blackbunny » 04 Feb 2011, 00:12

Hides-His-Eyes wrote:
blackbunny wrote:
Beedoola wrote:I'm not looking for a total boost pedal. I'd like it to have some gain on tap. I'd also be using it with my small 1x10 combo.

It sounds like you need a Timmy. Come to think of it, everybody should have at least one.

I already said that, I just chose my words carefully :)

Ya, I blundered into that one, as I often do. Nicely put.

Beedoola wrote:haha, I had no idea what you were talking about, thats why I didn't reply. Looks like I may need to build a Timmy...

What about a carefully modified TS-like circuit, along the lines of Hides-His-Eyes' suggestion?
blackbunny
Resistor Ronker

Have thanks: 110 times

Postby Beedoola » 04 Feb 2011, 01:04

From a different thread...

culturejam wrote:By now some of you must have seen this:
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showth ... p?t=840912

It's got a clip of the new mystery Klon (in a cardboard box).

35 minutes long, 30 different overdrives...

I think the real question is do you want any color in your drive or clean boost?
Originally it sounded like you wanted to hear your guitar and amp... but we all know there's a little color in any pedal...so check out the video...All the overdrives sound similiar, but the differences are there for you to decide.

My board has a DS-1 modded into tubescreamer territory and no diodes just alot of BOOST.
So that's another idea... Ds-1's are dirt cheap and easy to mod and remod and remod and remod.... :hmmm:

any info on the ds-1 mods?
Beedoola
Resistor Ronker

Have thanks: 28 times

Postby Tonetweaker » 04 Feb 2011, 05:52

I don't know anything about this manufacturer or pedal, but I saw it on eBay earlier this evening and the description reminded me of this thread... Perhaps some of the other members here have some experience with it? Might be worth a look anyway.

CMATMODS Butah Low Gain Overdrive

The Butah pedal has controls for Drive, Level and Tone. Footprint of a Boss or Ibanez and has a bright blue LED and True Bypass. The Buttah effect is a low gain OD that sounds like an old tube amp being pushed in to a sweet over drive. It really lets the natural tone of your guitar come through and can also push your tube amp into a nice OD when pushed.

Cheers...
Steve
In Soviet Russia, dirt box fucks YOU!! ~ Seiche
Tonetweaker
Resistor Ronker

Have thanks: 59 times

Postby Greg » 04 Feb 2011, 06:22

Tonetweaker wrote:I don't know anything about this manufacturer or pedal, but I saw it on eBay earlier this evening and the description reminded me of this thread... Perhaps some of the other members here have some experience with it? Might be worth a look anyway.

CMATMODS Butah Low Gain Overdrive

The Butah pedal has controls for Drive, Level and Tone. Footprint of a Boss or Ibanez and has a bright blue LED and True Bypass. The Buttah effect is a low gain OD that sounds like an old tube amp being pushed in to a sweet over drive. It really lets the natural tone of your guitar come through and can also push your tube amp into a nice OD when pushed.

Cheers...
Steve

It's just a basically a Marshall Bluesbreaker clone.
They were originally dead stock and built on a GGG board (I had an early one).. but I think he's done a couple of tweaks now, based on all the info that's around now for that circuit.
culturejam wrote: We are equal opportunity exposure artists.
Greg
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 195 times

Postby Tonetweaker » 04 Feb 2011, 07:04

Greg_G wrote:It's just a basically a Marshall Bluesbreaker clone.
They were originally dead stock and built on a GGG board (I had an early one).. but I think he's done a couple of tweaks now, based on all the info that's around now for that circuit.

Good to know, Greg. The listing also mentioned that it was a new redesign with improved bass response. I'd say considering the listing price, it better have good bass response... :lol:
In Soviet Russia, dirt box fucks YOU!! ~ Seiche
Tonetweaker
Resistor Ronker

Have thanks: 59 times

Postby HamishR » 03 Jan 2018, 05:03

I would recommend a Rockett Blue Note. The trouble I have with Bluesbreakers, Tubescreamers etc is the fixed low end. I prefer pedals with some degree of control over where the lows cut off, because they usually cut off too much! Plus they add too much mid-hump which makes it sound like a pedal. Good for lead breaks but not so good for chunky rhythms.

The Blue Note goes from clean to reasonably dirty, has less mid hump than most pedals and has a more "amp-like" breakup than a Timmy. The Timmy is nearly perfect but is a little bland for me and the clipping is a little gentle. All my friends love Timmy but I prefer the Blue Note. For a Gretsch I LOVE the Majestic, which is much like a Blue Note but voiced slightly differently. With a Les Paul I would go Blue Note, or if you want a slightly more Marshall voice the .45 Caliber.

You may guess I am a huge fan of Rockett FX! No affiliation. But the clean/dirty thing is a passion of mine. I use very low gain levels.
HamishR

Have thanks: 9 times

Previous

Return to Freestomp Café!