Van Halens New album ?

Anything non-technical you want to talk about, talk it over and have beer ...

Re: Van Halens New album ?

Postby sinner » 14 Feb 2012, 07:53

Audiowonderland wrote:
Govmnt_Lacky wrote:So they made a video.....

Where do they plan on showing it? If I remember correctly, MTV (and ALL its itterations), VH-1, etc. only show Reality TV and Award shows.

Who is gonna see this :scratch: Except here of course :thumbsup

http://www.youtube.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WfQ-hV3WtA - 3.7 million views

Soooo?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU6U-8LP1DY

Added in about the same time - over 20 million views
sinner
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 1098 times

Postby rocklander » 14 Feb 2012, 11:03

if I could get 3.7mill views.. I'd be pretty happy. just saying.
world's greatest tautologist ...in the world

Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.

rocklander
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 287 times

Postby Govmnt_Lacky » 14 Feb 2012, 13:59

Sooooooo...

Youtube is the new MTV/VH1!!

If thats the case, then I wish they would move all of those self congratulatory "award" shows to Youtube as well. Instead of clogging up my precious TV viewing just about once a month! :applause:

:slap:
Govmnt_Lacky
Resistor Ronker

Have thanks: 42 times

Postby sinner » 14 Feb 2012, 14:25

SoooOOO! ;)

YT generation is the people who choose what's worth to look at, and listening to. Not some penguins from music biz who rulez in self masturbating circus named "music awards".

New VH suck balls big time, as a music consumer I have a right to say so, and no one opinions will change that.

We are talking about magical reunion of blokes who hate each other and say shit stories about each other in biographic books.

To me it's not (and not about) music any more, new Van Halen is a scam of the year

Fuck them, I won't buy it
sinner
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 1098 times

Postby Govmnt_Lacky » 14 Feb 2012, 15:36

sinner wrote:SoooOOO! ;)

YT generation is the people who choose what's worth to look at, and listening to. Not some penguins from music biz who rulez in self masturbating circus named "music awards".

New VH suck balls big time, as a music consumer I have a right to say so, and no one opinions will change that.

We are talking about magical reunion of blokes who hate each other and say shit stories about each other in biographic books.

To me it's not (and not about) music any more, new Van Halen is a scam of the year

Fuck them, I won't buy it

Agreed!!! :thumbsup
Govmnt_Lacky
Resistor Ronker

Postby darthoverdrive » 17 Feb 2012, 16:44

A co-worker who is a huge VH fan loaned me his copy to listen to. I admit it wasn't that bad. The tempo was more up beat and some solos had more substance than on previous albums. More rock, less pop feel. After hearing them on local radio stations for the past 25 years I liked the absence of keyboards for a change.

YMMV
darthoverdrive
Breadboard Brother

Have thanks: 81 times

Postby guycapuano » 19 Feb 2012, 02:19

I saw a video of him doing an eruption thing at a dress rehearsal from a week or so ago, he rocked it HARD! He is great, no longer evolving but no doubt a master of what he does/did :)
guycapuano
Breadboard Brother

Have thanks: 10 times

Postby Scruffie » 19 Feb 2012, 03:00

darthoverdrive wrote:A co-worker who is a huge VH fan loaned me his copy to listen to. I admit it wasn't that bad. The tempo was more up beat and some solos had more substance than on previous albums. More rock, less pop feel. After hearing them on local radio stations for the past 25 years I liked the absence of keyboards for a change.

YMMV

My Mileage Varies, on only one point (without prior listening) why the keyboard hate!

I noticed something recently when I went back through my 80s back catalog, compared to the pop like madonna etc. we should be thankful for the 80s keyboard, the computerised pop ones really are tacky and dated, it could be the full band covering it a bit I suppose... still, Keyboards! I actually like them in the old bands.

I'll be interested to hear this new album fully when I get the chance...
Scruffie
Opamp Operator

Have thanks: 136 times

Postby darthoverdrive » 20 Feb 2012, 14:48

I didn't say I hate keyboards, only that I liked the absence of them on this VH album.
darthoverdrive
Breadboard Brother

Have thanks: 81 times

Postby Ice-9 » 20 Feb 2012, 18:52

Audiowonderland wrote:
Ice-9 wrote:I've just listened to Van Halens new album "A different kind of truth". I have to say, has Dave lee Roth joined the Sammy Hagar band here ? I was expecting the real Van halen sound of, smack you in the face guitar, but all I hear is that horrible chorus type overdrive that is so Sammy Hagar era and that Van halen 3 exterme geezer era.
Eddie's playing is on form for ability but the songs are just wishy washy pish. FFS Eddie get rid f the poxy sound and get ya Van Halen II sound back, or even 1984 sound as that was great and don't right songs for Sammy Hagar for DLR to sing. Rant over.

I give it 2/10 (and thats honest as Van Halen were one of my formative bands)

So its Hagar's fault that EVH's tone is crap? If he wanted to sound like VH2 I am certain he could.

Where did I say it was Hagars FAULT :hmmm:
It's fairly straight forward, if you want to start it , press start. You can work out the rest of the controls for yourself !

No silicon heaven ? preposterous ! Where would all the calculators go ?
Ice-9
Transistor Tuner

Have thanks: 338 times

Postby atreidesheir » 08 May 2012, 19:06

I actually find the bass playing 1/2way interesting. Maybe it is the Bertinelli genes? She is cooler than Edward these days.
"Contemplate it - on the tree of woe." :Thulsa Doom
atreidesheir
Diode Debunker

Have thanks: 40 times

Postby Govmnt_Lacky » 08 May 2012, 19:27

Shampoo.... Shampoo....

I like to rub it in my hair.

Shampoo.... Shampoo....

I got no dandruff anywhere!!

Comical :popcorn:
Govmnt_Lacky
Resistor Ronker

Postby coolty » 12 Dec 2015, 16:32

I just recently bought the remastered version of Van Halen II (which sounds amazing) and I'm dying to get in my car and blast it while cruising. Of course, being in my 30's and with a wife and son, I would look pretty silly doing that. But that's the power of this album; it takes me back to when I was 16 and my friends and I actually DID cruise around blasting this to the heavens. Not having heard this in many years, I can't believe how strong this sounds.
coolty

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby DrNomis » 13 Dec 2015, 02:55

I noticed that Van Halen don't rock like they used to in their heyday, they sound more commercialized nowadays..... :hmmm:
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.
DrNomis
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 384 times

Postby J0K3RX » 13 Dec 2015, 13:41

I saw Van Halen live from their first tour up to their Diver Down record... Looking back on it I can actually see them progressively losing their magic which tracks almost hand in hand with the changes in guitar playing and guitar tone.. The first record you are listening to a hungry, raw beast of a guitar player actually burning up tubes and amps to get his tone and that gradually fades into a cloud of fame, fortune, over production, getting married, bad relationships, drug and alcohol abuse which all took a toll on the band and the magical ingredient that made up the first Van Halen record to about the Fair Warning record. Everything after that is diluted, polluted, bloated garbage with a few flashy guitar licks thrown in for good measure. The attitude, hunger and imagination were gone and that is the secret behind the "Eddie/Brown Tone" and the entire "Van Halen" band as a whole. So, unless you can invent a time machine and go back in time to the early Van Halen era you will never see or hear that magical band or awesome sound again! They can have reunions and whatever and they may even sound really damn close at times to the old Van Halen but it's just not quite the same.. Missing is the attitude and hungry drive that they all had in the beginning which they can't get back.

His guitar sound is relatively simple, a Marshall tube amp being driven to it's death and piece of shit plywood for a pedal board with some shitty pedal taped to it... And of course Eddie himself, talent and a whole lot of young, hungry, testosterone driven attitude!! I never really understood calling his tone "Brown" anyway, it was more of a burning tubes orange or blue flame on fire sound to me!? I think it was all a joke anyway calling it "brown" since they always had this bizzare disorientation with brown things like wtf was the deal with brown M&M's? As part of their contract before they went on stage, there had to be a big bowl of M&M's and all of the "brown" M&M's had to be removed. If they found a "brown" M&M they would trash the place...
J0K3RX
Degoop Doctor

Have thanks: 459 times

Postby Frank_NH » 13 Dec 2015, 14:11

"As part of their contract before they went on stage, there had to be a big bowl of M&M's and all of the "brown" M&M's had to be removed. If they found a "brown" M&M they would trash the place..."

Ha! I had never heard of that, so I went to look for the explanation. FWIW, here it is...

And all these years later, Roth has finally gone on the record to explain the bizarre provision.

It was actually a test, he says. Since Van Halen stage shows were elaborate productions with 850 lights alone, their contracts included lengthy, complex instructions — and the brown M&M requirement was buried in there at random. If the stipulation was ignored, that meant the promoter hadn’t thoroughly read the band’s contract, which foretold possibly dangerous problems with the stage set-up.

So there you have it, kids. It was all about safety. (And yeah, maybe some rock star ridiculousness thrown in for good measure.)

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/david-le ... -mms-rule/

I still remember the first time I heard the Van Halen 1 album. I was in high school and playing guitar at the time. I went to this party and someone was playing the album. All of a sudden "Eruption" came on and I just stood there with my jaw on the floor. I did have ANY clue how he played impossibly fast riff until much later and I saw the tapping thing. Nowadays, I have Tommy Emmanuel to keep my guitar-player jaw on the floor... :lol:
Frank_NH
Breadboard Brother

Have thanks: 17 times

Postby J0K3RX » 13 Dec 2015, 17:54

Frank_NH wrote:"As part of their contract before they went on stage, there had to be a big bowl of M&M's and all of the "brown" M&M's had to be removed. If they found a "brown" M&M they would trash the place..."

Ha! I had never heard of that, so I went to look for the explanation. FWIW, here it is...

And all these years later, Roth has finally gone on the record to explain the bizarre provision.

It was actually a test, he says. Since Van Halen stage shows were elaborate productions with 850 lights alone, their contracts included lengthy, complex instructions — and the brown M&M requirement was buried in there at random. If the stipulation was ignored, that meant the promoter hadn’t thoroughly read the band’s contract, which foretold possibly dangerous problems with the stage set-up.

So there you have it, kids. It was all about safety. (And yeah, maybe some rock star ridiculousness thrown in for good measure.)

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/david-le ... -mms-rule/

I still remember the first time I heard the Van Halen 1 album. I was in high school and playing guitar at the time. I went to this party and someone was playing the album. All of a sudden "Eruption" came on and I just stood there with my jaw on the floor. I did have ANY clue how he played impossibly fast riff until much later and I saw the tapping thing. Nowadays, I have Tommy Emmanuel to keep my guitar-player jaw on the floor... :lol:

Ha, I had never heard of the brown M&M's being linked to reading the fine print of the contract and possible safety concerns... I actually heard a live interview with DLR back at that time, I think it was on MTV and he said that brown M&M's made no sense. He said something like the whole idea of the candy shell was to make them different colors and making brown M&M's was just stupid.. something like that. When I heard Van Halen for the first time I was pretty much in almost the same situation as you described. I had never heard anything like that and I was listening to Jimmy Page, early AC/DC and I think Jimi Hendrix was about the wildest thing to come along... and then Van Halen and Rhodes came outa nowhere and completely blew all that shit outa the water! I had no idea Ed was tapping until I saw them in concert. I thought if this dude is actually picking this shit then that is fuking insane and border line supernatural! Then I saw him on stage tapping which also blew my mind but at least I knew that it was a trick and I quickly picked up on it.. Then I heard Yingwe and said fuk it.. I am just gonna play to make myself happy and just do my own thing.. Never made nothin much of it but still having fun doing it... There are so many Amazing guitar players now it's really hard to find one that stands out from the pack, doing something totally off the wall. Have grown tired of all these bedroom clone youtube sensations, they all run together in my mind as one large mass of mindless jacking off horse shit! Sure they are all good in their own right but, who the fuk wants to see somebody sitting on the edge of their bed shredding to shit that has already been done a million times over..? I guess guitar playing has gone as far as it's gonna go technically unless some guy learns how to play with his dick or grows a third arm or whatever... :twisted:
J0K3RX
Degoop Doctor

Postby peterc » 14 Dec 2015, 12:26

Of course, being in my 30's and with a wife and son, I would look pretty silly doing that.

Still doing that at 55, must look ree-dic-u-lous
8)
peterc

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby J0K3RX » 15 Dec 2015, 00:35

Hmm.. Let's see. I was plenty old enough to go to a concert in 78 and it's almost 2016... :scratch: crunch the math :hmmm:
J0K3RX
Degoop Doctor

Previous

Return to Freestomp Café!