Mooer Pedals

Anything non-technical you want to talk about, talk it over and have beer ...

Mooer Pedals

Postby biliousfrog » 16 Sep 2012, 12:49

Hi,

I haven't found any threads on these pedals yet so thought I'd offer my opinions on them and see whether anyone else has had a chance to try them out yet.

Shimverb

As with most people, my introduction to them was through youtube videos of the Shimverb. Much like many Chinese pedals nowadays the product line is mostly made up of 'sound-alikes' of famous pedals and the colour and artwork often reflects what the pedal is based on. The Shimverb is obviously aimed at the Strymon camp although the shimmer setting is far from Strymon quality...in fact, although it was the capability I was most looking for, it isn't all that usable. Unlike most shimmer 'verbs the Mooer pedal doesn't concentrate on octaves to get the ringing repeats but rather a harmony setting. My ear isn't what it was but it sounds like a 4th, sometimes it works but it doesn't work with everything.

Putting the shimmer setting aside, the other two reverbs (hall and spring) are very usable. I have spring reverb on my amp (tweaked Laney LC30 MK1) but wanted to use that for a bigger 'surf' setting and have a more subtle reverb for more general use. I must say that the spring setting is quite convincing although suffers a little at extreme settings, certainly works well in a band mix. The hall setting is very nice and I'm now wondering about getting another so that I can have a large hall and a smaller room setting. The three controls - level (effect level), depth (pre-delay) and color (tone) offer some nice sound shaping and require quite different settings for each reverb type to get the most from them.

Overall I really like it. I was looking at the TC Electronic Hall of Fame (almost obsessively) but came to the conclusion that I'd only ever use one of the settings anyway. The Mooer pedals are almost half the size and almost half the price so I could have two different sounds at only £10 more. Obviously the quality isn't quite on par with the TC but I'm using these in a band where the subtle differences would be lost in a gig mix anyway.

Hustle Drive

My local guitar shop had a whole bunch of the pedals in stock and let me try them all. The one that really stood out from my first visit was the Hustle Drive (based on the OCD). If I hadn't just bought a Hot Cake I'd definitely have got it and I'm even considering swapping over. It's a great little OD/boost that had me grinning from ear to ear, lots of fun.

I also tried out several others which were also pretty good but not my thing...the typical Rat, Tubescreamer and metal distortions. The Triangle Buff (big muff?) was quite usable but not 'spitty' enough for me. The analogue delay was nice but went into self-oscillation far too easily and the delay knob turned the wrong way which was confusing. All the pedals were sold within the week though, some of them to the sales reps visiting the store.

The store has just got a bunch more in stock and I'm hoping to get the phase 90 copy (having sold my clunky ol' small stone) and the tape echo pedal - as long as they live up to the clips I've heard.
biliousfrog
Resistor Ronker

Have thanks: 10 times

Re: Mooer Pedals

Postby Mugshot » 17 Sep 2012, 07:54

for the past few days ive been posting mercilessly about the shimverb - it's pros and cons - to inform and alert users and potential buyers at a local forum as there was one guy who has been shilling too hard on these pedals posting irrelevant info and pure business-speak.

the room and spring settings are useable. however the shimmer modes has left a lot to be desired. and instead of octaves, it has this prominent 5ths going on. hit an E note and you'd also get a B, very audible when level is set past 12:00 and tone past 10:00. also, the Level knob should be more appropriately labeled Mix/Blend since the shimverb does full wet.

the two small knobs are low profile and there's little danger of stepping on it. however, the big knob looks perilous: it aint even fixed securely to the chassis with a nut, and has a plastic shaft! had to nut it out just in case i accidentally yanked the thing.

for the price (and size), the shimverb cant be beat.

the rest are obviously copies of well-known boutique pedals, while the delays (except maybe for the ana-echo) and some pitch-shift pedals are designed by mooer itself, i think.
signatures are for the weak.

FiveseveN wrote:
considering the low quality of the transistors and caps

Are Asian electrons inferior to American electrons?
Mugshot
Breadboard Brother

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby biliousfrog » 17 Sep 2012, 08:30

I guess I should also add that it's a true bypass pedal which, despite being better than having a bad buffer, means that it doesn't spill over when turned off.

I'll have to check the pot, I'm aware that it's a little close to the stomp switch and prone to being nudged but haven't dissected it to see how well it's constructed.
biliousfrog
Resistor Ronker

Postby Mugshot » 17 Sep 2012, 09:27

yep, TBP. so no trailing off. some users complain that there is some signal cutoff when engaged in high level settings, though i kinda disagree.

by all means, do nut it out. 1/4 jack washers fit the pots nicely.
signatures are for the weak.

FiveseveN wrote:
considering the low quality of the transistors and caps

Are Asian electrons inferior to American electrons?
Mugshot
Breadboard Brother

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby guycapuano » 24 Sep 2012, 20:43

Hi guys, I have access to all of em. I really like them. The Phase 90 is a real phase 90 and has mnatched fets, all SMD, the ana echo and the elec lady are real BBD, Here a a few demos I did for them this weekend. In the beginning of the phaser video I show a pic of the fets, for realz :mrgreen: Oh and I have a phaser and Trem $70 a piece, only used once for the videos :mrgreen:

Link

Link
guycapuano
Breadboard Brother

Postby Scruffie » 24 Sep 2012, 21:23

guycapuano wrote:Hi guys, I have access to all of em. I really like them. The Phase 90 is a real phase 90 and has mnatched fets, all SMD, the ana echo and the elec lady are real BBD, Here a a few demos I did for them this weekend. In the beginning of the phaser video I show a pic of the fets, for realz :mrgreen: Oh and I have a phaser and Trem $70 a piece, only used once for the videos :mrgreen:

The elec lady is BBD based? they didn't make mention of that in the Blurb, makes me more interested, not a fan of most digital flangers i've heard.

Got access to the Pure Octave? I really wanna hear that one.
Scruffie
Opamp Operator

Have thanks: 136 times

Postby guycapuano » 24 Sep 2012, 23:12

Scruffie wrote:
guycapuano wrote:Hi guys, I have access to all of em. I really like them. The Phase 90 is a real phase 90 and has mnatched fets, all SMD, the ana echo and the elec lady are real BBD, Here a a few demos I did for them this weekend. In the beginning of the phaser video I show a pic of the fets, for realz :mrgreen: Oh and I have a phaser and Trem $70 a piece, only used once for the videos :mrgreen:

The elec lady is BBD based? they didn't make mention of that in the Blurb, makes me more interested, not a fan of most digital flangers i've heard.

There are no Pure Octaves, they have been recalled a few months ago, keep an eye out in October ;) :secret:
guycapuano
Breadboard Brother

Postby Scruffie » 25 Sep 2012, 00:22

guycapuano wrote:
Scruffie wrote:

There are no Pure Octaves, they have been recalled a few months ago, keep an eye out in October ;) :secret:

Oh, I read something along those lines but then I saw a store online claiming to have them in stock when I looked for a demo and thought they were done.

I'll keep my eye out :wink:
Scruffie
Opamp Operator

Have thanks: 136 times

Postby Alex174 » 03 Feb 2016, 20:49

Hi,

Old topic but just to confirm the fact the Mooer Ana Echo is an identic copy of the Boss DM-2.

I've received it yesterday and open it to see what's inside and was pretty happy to see it's a DM-2 clone, as the color and art made me think, all smd but pure BBD circuit with the CoolAudio V3205D, so it sound identicaly to the DM-2.

The only troubles was the trimpots setting I had to adjust to have the perfect DM-2 sound.

So, a very good pedal that I paid 45$ with shipping cost included. Very impressed about the Mooer and Andoer chinese clone pedals which are very great value!!

Alex.
Alex174

Have thanks: 4 times

Return to Freestomp Café!