Source Code Theft?

Anything non-technical you want to talk about, talk it over and have beer ...

Source Code Theft?

Postby soulsonic » 22 Jul 2007, 09:22

I was wondering; how much trouble could one potentially get into for stealing source code from another website and using it in his own? Not just source code, but specifically a Java program. Does this count as copyright infringement? No credit was given to the original author and nothing was changed in the code - just a straight copy/paste.
So, how much trouble could the thief get in to? Just a slap on the wrist, or maybe a fine? Jail time? Maybe get dumped by their ISP?
soulsonic
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 255 times

Postby briggs » 22 Jul 2007, 15:27

Who's in trouble? I suppose it would depend on the way in which the code was being used and the level to which it was protected. It could technically be looked at as "software" piracy.

I am Klon.
briggs
Tube Twister

Have thanks: 121 times

Postby modman » 27 Jul 2007, 19:21

I think that if it is really copyrighted, it is illegal to use the source code. But the more pragmatical question is of course: will the owner go through the trouble of a legal case for it?

All depends on how much money there is to be gotten. If you do source theft for a major corporation website, the owner wil surely sue. If you're just a poor diy guitarist the owner will be unlikely to take legal action.

copyright law struggles to deal with the digital multiplication (copy/paste).

[/i]
"The whole point of diy is diy. It's not dsoiyathodtr - do some of it yourself and then have others do the rest" (paulc)
modman
a d m i n

Have thanks: 495 times

Postby magikker » 27 Jul 2007, 19:34

The DMCA gives you the ablity to do some real damage to people that steal software of any type. At least I think it does.
magikker
Breadboard Brother

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby grolschie » 28 Jul 2007, 06:29

modman wrote:I think that if it is really copyrighted, it is illegal to use the source code.

The second that you create a work, it's already covered by copyright law. With source code, if no license is specified in the code, then it's best to ask permission.

Here is the cool Open Source Web Design site where you can get legally some really cool CSS.
grolschie
Solder Soldier

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby briggs » 29 Jul 2007, 11:38

That site has some nice templates!

I am Klon.
briggs
Tube Twister

Have thanks: 121 times

Return to Freestomp Café!