Foxx - Tone Machine

Anything non-technical you want to talk about, talk it over and have beer ...

TGP level discussion thread

Postby beedotman » 02 Jun 2012, 08:26

sinner wrote:
beedotman wrote:
Dr Tony Balls wrote:
beedotman wrote:
Dr Tony Balls wrote:Great POLISH minds....

(although im only half)

half? what's the story?

My mother is a Polish immigrant to the US and my dad is straight up American.

That's cool, man! :thumbsup
Polish womans are great!
I know because I have one! :blackeye

I have one for my personal use as well, and she's cool, but I know few nasty ones :mrgreen:

Shit... I know few, too. But we can always try to export them :lol:
http://www.turretboard.org 4 life!
beedotman
Diode Debunker

Have thanks: 397 times

Re: Foxx - Tone Machine

Postby sinner » 02 Jun 2012, 08:59

Let's pack them up, and send to Phibs, he likes the nasty ones specially :wink:
sinner
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 1098 times

Postby beedotman » 02 Jun 2012, 11:57

sinner wrote:Let's pack them up, and send to Phibs, he likes the nasty ones specially :wink:

:lol: It looks that he preffers asians... Anyway - here's layout for that project :lol:

http://www.turretboard.org 4 life!
beedotman
Diode Debunker

Have thanks: 397 times

Postby sinner » 02 Jun 2012, 12:04

beedotman wrote:
sinner wrote:Let's pack them up, and send to Phibs, he likes the nasty ones specially :wink:

:lol: It looks that he preffers asians... Anyway - here's layout for that project :lol:

Are you sure? You should heard Time when he was thinking I'm from Sweden :mrgreen:
sinner
Old Solderhand

Postby sinner » 25 Jun 2012, 12:44

Really nice! Thanks :thumbsup
sinner
Old Solderhand

Postby dmichel123 » 17 Nov 2012, 23:23

Is there any way to put a "blend" pot in here to bring the octaved sound in with the straight fuzz?
dmichel123

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby candidate » 01 Feb 2014, 10:39

ringworm wrote:I've been trying to do so some research and make up a layout for this but have come across an anomaly with the known schematics (GGG and FuzzCentral). Both of these schematics show only 21 on-board resistors (excluding pulldown and led resistors) but having checked out some gut-shots there are 22 on-board resistors.
FOXX_TONE_MACHINE_GUTS.jpg

I have marked the extra resistor (10k) with a yellow 'X'
You can see it is not included in the gut-shot of this Paraclete Fuzz Sustain.
P1030801_800.jpg

But here it is again in another Tone Machine shot.
IMG_0816.JPG

It appears to be connected to the 'sustain' pot.
The top gutshot has 3 x 10k resistors while the circulating schematics only show 1. I'm presuming that one of the 10k is a replacement for a 15k.
Could anyone provide a trace side shot of an original pcb for verification of this extra part? Or does anyone have any idea what it does (if anything)?
candidate

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby FGJeurissen » 14 Oct 2014, 20:26

Hello, noob builder here!

I really want to make my first vero-build. (previous BYOC and simple mods to pedals) Time to start the first 'real' DIY build.

Could someone check if the wiring is correct in the image I made with a vero layout posted before.

Also there is a switch by the c10 capacitor to switch between 10n and 1n (bright / fat like in the Fulltone Ultimate Octave)

Any help is GREATLY appreciated! I really want to get into the DIY world, but am still learning.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FGJeurissen

Postby tabbycat » 15 Oct 2014, 17:38

FGJeurissen wrote:Could someone check if the wiring is correct in the image I made with a vero layout posted before.

hey fg, welcome to fsb.

am a relative newbie myself so i don't want to get into blind-leading-the-blind situation. i HATE offboard wiring. but these are both recognized by most who know their stuff as pretty solid samples of offboard wiring. maybe check your circuit through referring to these and you might catch something you missed.

mark and miro's site guitar fx layouts (both fsb members) is a great resource for trustworthy veros too:
http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... iring.html

and beavis is a good one-stop-shop for the basics:
http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/StompboxWiring/

i always get caught out by the offboard stuff. the vero bit is easy as it is just like building lego from a plan, but hardly any layouts include the wiring as the assumption is that most seasoned builders will know, which catches out the less experienced every time.
i'm sorry i can't be more help re your foxxtone (i have the joyo voodoo octave which is great and cheap foxxtone clone). hopefully this is enough info to get you where you want to go.

good luck with your build,
tabbycat.
"be a good animal, true to your instincts" (d.h. lawrence).
"there is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion" (francis bacon).
"ni dieu ni maître" (anarchist slogan).
tabbycat
Cap Cooler

Have thanks: 63 times

Postby tabbycat » 15 Oct 2014, 20:08

"there is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion" (francis bacon).
tabbycat
Cap Cooler

Postby scorpionvictim » 21 Feb 2015, 17:30

on the ggg schematic which cap is changed for the ultimate octave mod?
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf ... o_2fsw.pdf
scorpionvictim

Postby tabbycat » 21 Feb 2015, 18:13

scorpionvictim wrote:on the ggg schematic which cap is changed for the ultimate octave mod?
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf ... o_2fsw.pdf

worth reading through this thread as it documents all the options pretty well with good pics to illustrate.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=14129

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=14129#p164663

Re: Help w/ Joyo Ultimate Octave

Postby Ian444 » 01 Oct 2011, 09:55

I traced the circuit, found that two of the 10uF coupling caps have their polarity wrong. It's also wrong on the silkscreen, that is, compared to the GGG schem and the Foxx Tone Machine schem by gaussmarkov. I pulled those caps out, turned them around, and soldered them back in. Now have a passable fuzz with some sort of synthy component in it. I'm not much into fuzz but this is a definite improvement compared to the mud I was hearing before. I then jumpered the octave switch terminals to see if I can get some octave...YES!!!....we have some cool strong octave happening! Octave in spades... :)

and

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=14129#p169268

Re: Help w/ Joyo Ultimate Octave

Postby Ian444 » 11 Nov 2011, 10:31

drfried wrote:Apparently the polarity of those two 10mf coupling caps are reversed (on purpose?) on Fulltone's Ultimate Overdrive, and the Joyo appears to be an exact clone of that, not of the Foxx Tone Machine. Those 47n and 100n caps are also switched on the two.

Ahh well, that probably explains why Joyo did it that way, looks like they copied a bad schematic. I cannot find a Fulltone schem. ggg sell the Foxx version and I assume no complaints. Usually the positive leg of an electrolytic cap will be connected to a voltage more positive than its negative lead, as shown in the Foxx schem, C7 and C12 on the ggg schematic.

These 2 caps are marked as C9 and C15 on the Joyo PCB. C9 is immediately below the top left hand pot (fuzz) in the gutshot in post 1. C15 is below the mid-cut switch and off to the right. These caps correspond to C7 and C12 on the ggg schematic.

There are some other differences. In the ggg schem C10 is 3.3nF, in the Joyo there are 2 switchable caps, 1nF and 33nF, instead of that one cap. In the ggg schem, C3 and R5 are 100nF and 100K, in the Joyo they are 47n and 51K. In the ggg schem C11 is 47nF, in the Joyo it is 100nF (C14). As noted before, all the Joyo pots are 100KB instead of 50KB, but on the Fuzz pot there is a 100K resistor connected from the top of the pot to the wiper, and a 10K resistor in series before that pot. I also cleaned all that flux residue off the PCB with isopropyl alc and toothbrush.....

it would seem that the ggg version is correct as it is based on the foxx tone, whereas the joyo is based on the fulltone clone, which reversed the caps.
if you are building (or have built) the ggg version according to the polarity indicated you should be ok.
but if you want to spin the caps to see if it makes a difference then they are c7 and c12 on the ggg layout (see above).

the ultimate octave mod appiles to the joyo ultimate octave. the clue is in the name.

hope that helps?

tabbycat.
tabbycat
Cap Cooler

Previous

Return to Freestomp Café!