FINALLY-Radio SHack Bites the Dust

Anything non-technical you want to talk about, talk it over and have beer ...

FINALLY-Radio SHack Bites the Dust

Postby toneman » 06 Feb 2015, 01:22

another chapter...
this time: chapter eleven :slap:

http://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/2 ... ankruptcy/
Tone-to-the-Bone
toneman
Resistor Ronker

Have thanks: 19 times

Re: FINALLY-Radio SHack Bites the Dust

Postby DrNomis » 06 Feb 2015, 06:15

There used to be a Tandy Electronics store in the Casuarina Shopping Centre that used to sell Radio Shack products before they were bought-out by Dick Smith Electronics when Dick Smith Electronics were still selling electronic components, nowadays Dick Smith Electronics have gotten out of selling components and are just a consumer electronics store..... :thumbsup
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.
DrNomis
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 384 times

Postby modman » 07 Feb 2015, 18:22

11 consecutive unprofitable quarters as the company has failed to transform itself into a destination for mobile phone buyers.

:scratch: :slap: :slap: Why didn't they turn to making clone pcb for guitar fx?
"The whole point of diy is diy. It's not dsoiyathodtr - do some of it yourself and then have others do the rest" (paulc)
modman
a d m i n

Have thanks: 495 times

Postby D-Day » 07 Feb 2015, 18:28

I think they'd have done better had they humbly stuck to their early (and I mean very early) business model instead of trying to get 'hip' with all the fucking phone crap. Radio Shack was once pretty sweet.
D-Day
Mojo Book Buster

Have thanks: 21 times

Postby mictester » 08 Feb 2015, 19:28

Over here we're stuck with "Maplin" - a company that used to sell a wide range of components at sensible prices. Nowadays, they sell cheap crap electronics goods and have a little counter in each branch selling a few wildly over-priced components (one resistor for 36p!!!!). If you urgently need a particular resistor or capacitor,you can be sure that it's "out of stock" - there's no point whatsoever in trying to deal with these cretins.

I now buy all my components from brokers in the Far East. Resistors cost (typically) 45p / 1000 for 1% metal film, and capacitors vary from 40p / 1000 to 90p / 1000 for ceramic and polyester, with electrolytics costing a bit more. 2N3707 or 2N3703 is £1.10 / 1000 and 1N4148 is 54p / 1000...... The only problem is finding the space to store all the components! My last bulk order, which included some power FETs and a lot of ICs came to £800 and arrived in two boxes, each about the size of a tea crate! Delivery time is usually about 1 week. There is little point in buying components in Europe any more - the companies are just buying the same parts in the Far East and adding their own mark-up - it's cheaper (and sometimes quicker) to buy direct!

It's (slightly) sad to see Radio Shack go - they used to be a great source of GE Superradios for $25 (a brilliant broadcast band receiver which we used to give away as prizes on my radio programme) and I bought up a huge batch of Reticon BBDs from a branch in Birmingham - they'd priced them wrongly, and I got about 1800 SAD1024 and 600 SAD512 devices for <£400! These were sold over the years, and the last batch of 200 went to a well-known boutique boob in Scandinavia for an outrageous sum! "Sinner" knows the nice car I drive - that's how I bought it!
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"
mictester
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 779 times

Postby atreidesheir » 12 Feb 2015, 03:23

I will miss their handy etchant solution. I bought all they had in stock here.
"Contemplate it - on the tree of woe." :Thulsa Doom
atreidesheir
Diode Debunker

Have thanks: 40 times

Postby sinner » 12 Feb 2015, 23:30

I (sort of) like maplin. Enclosures are priced on the high side, but getting them cheaper and paying for shipping is more than I'm paying in maplin, and I have maplin locally. They stock omeg pots that I adore and many other small bits
sinner
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 1098 times

Postby tabbycat » 12 Feb 2015, 23:59

sinner wrote:I (sort of) like maplin. Enclosures are priced on the high side, but getting them cheaper and paying for shipping is more than I'm paying in maplin, and I have maplin locally. They stock omeg pots that I adore and many other small bits

i went into one last year for some audio to small jack cables and they were £8 or something insane. i wouldn't pay that for them if jimi hendrix had used them for shoe laces. they're dreaming. didn't look at the components. i imagined it would all be mental money. will look at the pots next time i pass one.
if they were reasonable for ICs i could definitely be tempted. i never seem to have the right one for the job. and just accidentally ordered an smd 40106 instead of a through-hole one, which means i'll be tiddling around with tweasers trying to solder legs onto it this weekend as it's far too late to order another now.

is there anything else you think worth bothering with? you know your good stuff from tat.
"be a good animal, true to your instincts" (d.h. lawrence).
"there is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion" (francis bacon).
"ni dieu ni maître" (anarchist slogan).
tabbycat
Cap Cooler

Have thanks: 63 times

Postby sinner » 13 Feb 2015, 00:32

No buddy. Just last minute bits usually - solder, broken tools and enclosures

Chris is right, they're more in to the toys for retards new days

Oh, yeah - they stock 19" rack enclosures 1u and 2u

I have a catalogue (no free ones, I had to pay £3 for mine) I will check what else is worthy

75% of my DIY money usually goes to RS Online - also expensive but they have all im using - MKT1813 and rifa high voltage axial caps, cheap rs branded CF resistors in most usable resistance and wattage ranges, tagboards, stripboards and wide enough active component choice

I'm not high volume builder, so I can live with those prices
sinner
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 1098 times

Return to Freestomp Café!