camera phones at gigs...

Anything non-technical you want to talk about, talk it over and have beer ...

camera phones at gigs...

Postby tabbycat » 21 Feb 2015, 19:49

'and here's one of me with my back to the arctic monkeys, and another one here of me with my back to the white stripes...'

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/ ... lsignoutmd

have never understood the selfie thing. seems depressingly narcissistic. but if i like a band i watch the band. the idea of taking a photo of myself watching the band, or worse still with my back to the band, just seems retarded. why do it?

the only two possible reason i can think of for it are;

a. you are a compulsive liar and all your friends know it. you are therefore reduced to the defensive paranoid state of documenting your entire life just so you can call your friends out when they raise doubts about your activities.

b. you have just committed murder and need an alibi for the evening.

people used to criticise the fall and the jesus and mary chain for playing with their backs to the audience, but i'm all for it, always have done. leave the showing off to the singer, that's what the drugs are for.
my business is 'noise management' via guitars, amps and pedals. which i do far better without distractions.

if you come to one of my gigs wanting a selfie the best you can hope for is a photo of yourself with my back to you, with your back to me if you want a really pointless souvenir.
and if you want a reason i'll tell you that i'm just getting my retaliation in first.

give me hecklers any day. at least they are living in the moment instead of stuck in some existential crisis frantically trying to preserve every instant of their futile lives for faceook posterity.

"so you went to see the monkeys, sweet. was alex playing his starstream?"
"i don't know, i queued for two hours then watched the whole thing through my camera phone and the screen was all steamy"
"fuck your life..."

anyone got any ideas for a stomp box that jams camera phones?

tabbycat.
"be a good animal, true to your instincts" (d.h. lawrence).
"there is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion" (francis bacon).
"ni dieu ni maître" (anarchist slogan).
tabbycat
Cap Cooler

Have thanks: 63 times

Re: camera phones at gigs...

Postby D-Day » 22 Feb 2015, 03:33

I've seen it more than once where some turd will hold up an ipad to capture a whole set on video. Maddening if you're in the crowd behind him. If I really like a band and think my friends should know I'll take a 15 second video for the instagram. No more than one 15 second video per band. I'm trying to pay attention to the sweet show not prove that I go to sweet shows all the time.
D-Day
Mojo Book Buster

Have thanks: 21 times

Postby modman » 22 Feb 2015, 20:58

you forgot the youtube vid!
"The whole point of diy is diy. It's not dsoiyathodtr - do some of it yourself and then have others do the rest" (paulc)
modman
a d m i n

Have thanks: 495 times

Postby tabbycat » 23 Feb 2015, 03:41

D-Day wrote:I've seen it more than once where some turd will hold up an ipad to capture a whole set on video. Maddening if you're in the crowd behind him. If I really like a band and think my friends should know I'll take a 15 second video for the instagram. No more than one 15 second video per band. I'm trying to pay attention to the sweet show not prove that I go to sweet shows all the time.

hey d-day,

am all for filming gigs (preferably with the band's permission, if they are small-time it costs nothing to politely ask, they may even want you to send them a copy for their site), as long it's done discretely. an ipad blocking everyone's view is a pretty antisocial gesture. that would be a shoving offence around here. you can film from the side and bother no-one.

tbh tons (probably most) of the bands i really like often do better stuff live than they get on record. or if not better, then different and equally as good. assuming you play, you probably get bored after you've done the same song the same way a few times? you have to play around with it to keep it interesting to play, or you just become a jukebox. no fun in that. so it's nice to have record of that.

was just knocking the 'selfie while band is playing to prove you went' thing. but maybe i'm just not of the generation that feels such irresistible peer pressure to continually prove i've got a life. it must be exhausting. am glad i don't suffer from it.
i think facebook is doing a lot of harm to some people's (mostly younger) sense of perspective. they are beginning to live their lives like they are brands of themslves. they imagine themselves permanently on display and expected to deliver constantly according to brand expectations. and competative. ugh, don't start me on the curse of facebook...

so anyway d-day, who was the last band you saw that really blew you away live? got a link?
"there is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion" (francis bacon).
tabbycat
Cap Cooler

Postby rocklander » 23 Feb 2015, 04:14

tabbycat wrote:assuming you play, you probably get bored after you've done the same song the same way a few times? you have to play around with it to keep it interesting to play, or you just become a jukebox. no fun in that.

big assumption IMO.

I figured it out a couple of years ago for me... I see there are two distinct types who play in bands (and they are by no means mutually exclusive); musicians and entertainers... the lucky few are both, some of us are polar one or the other. a musician has a story inside themselves that MUST get out some how, and their chosen instrument is how that comes alive; the story is told.
an entertainer feeds from the crowd, glory hound if you will. as long as they don't hate the song, they'll do it.
I fall into the latter category in the utmost extreme way. I haven't an original bone in my body, nor a story to tell. if I could do stand up or I could act, I would. but I can't.. I can sing, and the people appear to enjoy me doing it.. so I get my fill.
neither is 'right' or 'wrong' .. just different. who is right, the playwrite or the actor? neither.. they perform different functions, and an individual can certainly be both.

one of the less fortunate differences I see is that musicians often show disdain for anyone who is not, often with downward nose looking comments like "who would ever want to play covers?" or "I have to put my spin on it otherwise it'll be boring".
entertainers.. well we're just too self absorbed to worry about mocking musicians for whatev... wait a minute.. why have we stopped talking about me?

btw.. I used to have a galaxy sII .. recording at gigs was just awful.. totally blew out the front end, but now have an s4 and it does some amazeballs recording... they figured out some smarts in there to reduce the input enough when there's too much volume.
world's greatest tautologist ...in the world

Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.

rocklander
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 287 times

Postby tabbycat » 23 Feb 2015, 21:54

rocklander wrote:
tabbycat wrote:assuming you play, you probably get bored after you've done the same song the same way a few times? you have to play around with it to keep it interesting to play, or you just become a jukebox. no fun in that.

big assumption IMO.

I figured it out a couple of years ago for me... I see there are two distinct types who play in bands (and they are by no means mutually exclusive); musicians and entertainers... the lucky few are both, some of us are polar one or the other. a musician has a story inside themselves that MUST get out some how, and their chosen instrument is how that comes alive; the story is told.
an entertainer feeds from the crowd, glory hound if you will. as long as they don't hate the song, they'll do it...

one of the less fortunate differences I see is that musicians often show disdain for anyone who is not, often with downward nose looking comments like "who would ever want to play covers?" or "I have to put my spin on it otherwise it'll be boring".
entertainers.. well we're just too self absorbed to worry about mocking musicians for whatev... wait a minute.. why have we stopped talking about me?...

hey rocklander, you've nailed the stereotypes. and am deep in the former if i have to self-diagnose.

but wasn't being snobby re getting bored doing the same song repeatedly. that's not disdain, that's adhd! my attention is all over the place and needs to be constantly piqued or it wanders. maybe a bit of artistic temperament compelling me to create constantly (more exhausting and frustrating than ever rewarding, the films have that wrong. actually joe meek's telstar film nails it. the driven thing, alas it never seems to end well...). and there's also the self-indulgent factor that means i put my amusement above the audience's. if what i do makes other people happy then i'm glad that they've had a good time, but i basically do it all for me. totally selfish i know, but that's art baby...
it's the self-absorbtion thing you mentioned, but i'm getting off on making music rather than getting off on the audience attention. but self-absorbtion is self-absorbtion.

re two sides, there are only only two 'sides' in 'showbiz' in my opinion, and that's either side of the curtain. though it's not necessarily adversarial. i've got friends out there. but as far as 'doing the do' is concerned.
even if i was supporting bieber, if he broke a string i'd fix him up with a string or lend him my guitar so he could finish his set. he wouldn't have to ask, i'd offer.
ultimately we're performers trying to do our thing. we may be coming from different places with different stories and different agendas, even apparently conflicting agendas, but essentailly we're people trying to do the same sort of thing in the same space at the same time, so i feel we're all the same boat together to that extent and everyone should put small individualistic stuff away and focus on the collective big thing.
i don't care for what he does as a performer particularly. i don't buy his stuff. and i may even be a bit snobby in that i suspect him of prostituting himself or his art on some level, but then that's his choice and i respect his choice even if i don't particularly respect his output in terms of 'artistic merit' or whatever. and prostitues are some of the loveliest people in the world. some of the most honest too.

on a final note, on the subject of artistic temperament usually being more frustrating than rewarding, and since modman requested a youtube clip (and i can't disappoint him), may i present exhibit a...

Link

and if you haven't been there, you're not doing it right.
tabbycat
Cap Cooler

Postby D-Day » 23 Feb 2015, 22:49

modman wrote:you forgot the youtube vid!

you mean this one?

Link
D-Day
Mojo Book Buster

Have thanks: 21 times

Postby tabbycat » 23 Feb 2015, 23:11

^ i was so hoping he was going to say "hey, is dee dee home?" oooooooohhh.... aaaaaaaahhh....
tabbycat
Cap Cooler

Postby deltafred » 23 Feb 2015, 23:35

I am fortunate that my band doesn't have a smartphone problem.

Despite the fact that most of the audience own smartphones most are of an age where they struggle to even text so recording video is definitely out.

Of course the younger members of the audience know how to but why the hell would they want to video us old gits or take a seflie with us as a backdrop.

:lol:
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012
deltafred
Opamp Operator

Have thanks: 238 times

Postby tabbycat » 24 Feb 2015, 01:53

deltafred wrote:Of course the younger members of the audience know how to but why the hell would they want to video us old gits or take a seflie with us as a backdrop.

:lol:

hey, don't sell yourself short deltafred. you can't put a price on experience. you've been there and done it.
flushed it too i hope... opened a window...

these pesky young delinquents with their ziggy plop and their keith floyd tremolos can't compete with the old guard.

'vintage' is the new 'old'.

you're so 'mojo' and you don't even know it.
tabbycat
Cap Cooler

Postby Sir Fayzalot » 15 Jan 2016, 13:53

I've seen more otheries and filming than selfies at concerts.

Sometimes it's cool to see videos of concerts on youtube, only the sound really bites on most of them.
Sir Fayzalot

Have thanks: 4 times

Postby MoonWatcher » 15 Jan 2016, 23:10

deltafred wrote:I am fortunate that my band doesn't have a smartphone problem.

While I currently don't play out enough to truly know just how much of a problem this might be for me or my mates, I'll just say that I'm in the same (non-)situation as you. The geezer/non-notoriety factor is high enough to prevent any of this stuff from being even sporadically present.

It's either that, or I probably don't have my eyes on the audience enough to know or care about what they're doing. It's not that I'm indifferent or apathetic, I think. It's just that in clubs and pubs, I tend to feel like anything goes, as long as the bouncers don't take issue with it. Maybe if it were my club or I were the promoter, it might be different. I doubt it, but I'm in neither of those roles.

Rocklander split it into one being either a musician or entertainer, or mix of both. I honestly don't see a need for someone on the stage to even define it within those contexts. The bottom line is you're on the stage, right? To me, that simply means you're either compelled or obligated to do some things that the non-stage-occupying residents aren't. It's really no more, and no less. If any kind of shit in the audience is causing a problem, I kind of hope that there's someone there to serve as judge/referee/beat cop/etc. - let the stage occupiers concentrate on other matters instead.
MoonWatcher
Diode Debunker

Postby Cub » 15 Jan 2016, 23:30

I wish I were a chestnut tree, nourished by the sun.
With twigs and leaves and branches and conkers by the ton.
Cub
Resistor Ronker

Have thanks: 58 times

Postby thejewk » 20 Jan 2016, 17:49

It gets on my nerves, and gets in the way of me while trying to enjoy a good show. I find selfies unsettling as a trend. I use photos all the time, but usually to share something I have made or I am working on with a view to sharing information and generating discussion, and certainly not incorporating myself into someone else's art. I am spectator, or removed participator, in those cases and they are the interesting point of focus for attention/information.

As for the artist / showman distinction, I fall firmly into the former (with no egotistical intent there) both as a musician and as a music appreciator. The artists/musicians I admire the most (Bjork, Neil Young, The Fall, of Montreal, Robert Wyatt, etc) plow their own furrow: if you like what they are doing, come along for the ride; if not, oh well tough shit. I do find enjoyment from a good old greatest hits set on occasion, but if one of my favourite artists rolled one out instead of playing their new material I would be very disappointed.
thejewk

Have thanks: 0 time

Return to Freestomp Café!