has anyone managed to get gmail without giving personal id?

Anything non-technical you want to talk about, talk it over and have beer ...

has anyone managed to get gmail without giving personal id?

Postby tabbycat » 05 Mar 2015, 21:15

hey all, just a random cafe question but one which some of the resident computer boffins here might know a thing about...

since the evil google corp is feverishly buying up the internet and obliging everyone who wants to use main things (flickr, youtube, etc) to give them all their personal data (because they are so into freedom and privacy, etc) i am trying to get a gmail account without giving the scumbags any personal data whatsoever. no phone number, email, niente, nada, sweet fa.
partly a political pro-liberty gesture and partly pure google hate.
my policy re giving out personal info is always 'i don't have to worry about my privacy if your company isn't holding any of my information (so go and fuck yourself)'. and i know a few other on here are of the same uncompromising persuasion on this matter. i think it's the way it has to be.

so... have looked all over the interwebs and as far as i have got with it is that it all comes down to being able to get a sms verification code.
there are lots of recieve sms online numbers posted on various sites where you are supposed to be able to pick a number give it to google then watch the update feed for that number for a code and give it to google when it arrives.
though it seems alarmingly out in the open, the code only actually means anything to the user it has been sent to. it has no use to anyone else.
that's the theory. in practice the numbers never seem to update data or gmail won't send the sms code to that number as it has been used to many times for verification. which seem contradictory but that's where i am with it.

so am stuck and open to ideas from wise sorts, of whom i suspect many reside here.

even mark's guitar fx layouts site requires some sort of gobble/fuckface/twit link-in before i can post a comment, which is a drag.

i think it's about time someone invented a new internet that no one can own. this one is looking increasingly sold out.
until then i would be interested to hear from anyone here who has cracked this one.

thanks the cafe crowd,

tabbycat.

"be a good animal, true to your instincts" (d.h. lawrence).
"there is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion" (francis bacon).
"ni dieu ni maître" (anarchist slogan).
tabbycat
Cap Cooler

Have thanks: 63 times

Re: has anyone managed to get gmail without giving personal

Postby tabbycat » 05 Mar 2015, 22:05

update, got one of those online numbers to work. had a gmail for about two minutes and then got this account disabled page...

"Why Google disables accounts.
Google wants to ensure that everyone has a chance to safely and securely connect and communicate. To help preserve this environment, Google reserves the right to:
Terminate your account at any time, for any reason, with or without notice."

a bit like saying 'in the interests of ensuring your personal freedom we reserve the right to imprison you at any time, for any reason, with or without notice'.

fascism alive and well in sunny california it seems. 'never trust a hippy' (malcolm mclaren).
"there is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion" (francis bacon).
tabbycat
Cap Cooler

Postby karul » 06 Mar 2015, 00:08

tabby, try to create a google account , you don't need to give them your phone, there's no need for sms verification, just leave Mobile phone field blank

I've just open a new account - it works just fine ...

you can do that with yahoo mail service, too..no sms
karul
Solder Soldier

Have thanks: 142 times

Postby minnow » 06 Mar 2015, 04:37

Correcto. I left the mobile phone info blank, still was able to create a Gmail account.
minnow
Breadboard Brother

Have thanks: 18 times

Postby astrobass » 06 Mar 2015, 06:53

If you're not interested in paying the price they charge (some basic demographic information), then it's more unethical than it is a cool act of protest to use their services anyways. There are competing services and you don't need to give them anything to access most of their stuff in a read only fashion. If you're such a badass stop relying on them.

Or just stop putting in a mobile number. I don't know. You do you.
astrobass
Cap Cooler

Have thanks: 71 times

Postby mictester » 06 Mar 2015, 08:08

Google are rather less evil than is popularly believed. You need to realise that your ISP logs everything you do, every web page you visit, every email you send, your search parameters for every web search..... Now THAT'S evil!

Your ISP (in most countries) sells a huge amount of information about you - including your searching and buying habits - to contextual advertising companies. After all you don't want inappropriate adverts taking up your screen space, do you?

Google is positively benign by comparison!
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"
mictester
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 779 times

Postby tabbycat » 06 Mar 2015, 09:30

@karul @minnow many thanks for the tip but still no luck. either wants my email address or phone number. maybe it's a location thing. uk is a bit more kiss-ass towards the states re data than mainland europe. no dice alas.

astrobass wrote:If you're not interested in paying the price they charge (some basic demographic information), then it's more unethical than it is a cool act of protest to use their services anyways. There are competing services and you don't need to give them anything to access most of their stuff in a read only fashion. If you're such a badass stop relying on them.

Or just stop putting in a mobile number. I don't know. You do you.

hey astrobass, they are getting 'demographic information'; fake name, fake date of birth, fake everything, but still demographic information. ulitmately it's kind of immaterial to their maths. they can still build up a profile of which sites i visit and vids i watch, cross-match and compare notes, post targeted ad spots with that rubbish if it pleases them and their business model demands. i don't care about that stuff.
what i do care about is that my email and phone number are my personal private information which i'm very protective of. i don't think that's a badass pose, that's sensible.
as to unethical, i don't give a flying shit about being thought of as unethical where google's profits are concerned because i don't actually respect them as a company. they are just another cynical overblown us corporation trying to buy up the world and stamp their brand name on it.
unethical to me would be for me to give my personal info to a company i don't trust or respect.

if i came across as badass it's probably latent (barely concealed i admit) resentment that sites that functioned perfectly well (and viably, financially) that i used to be able to access and participate in freely before google corp muscled in (youtube being a prmary example) now oblige me to have a google account requiring submission of private phone and email data in order to continue participation.
youtube worked perfectly well for years without me or any other users being obliged to provide such personal data. the algorithms busily ticked away and everyone got what they wanted. i know youtube can function perfectly well (and profitably) without my mobile number because i used to use to post clips and comment there regularly before google took an interest.
once google got involved they start pushing their luck and squeezing punters for email addresses and mobile numbers they could pass around the other sites they own. and cut functionality for those that didn't 'comply' with their demands. that i resent in a big way. that's unethical to me. maybe my attitude on that is out of line with the business mentality. that's just how i roll. whatever.

ten years ago the internet was way better than it is today. way more open. fifteen years ago even more so. slower certainly, but more open. you could participate in anything with a random username and a connection. it was wide open and it was free and it worked well.
now as soon as anything interesting comes along google jumps on it and forces subscription or reduced functionality on users. that's hostile and anti-participation. that's unethical in an environment that is fundamentally supposed to be open and unrestricted. it should be boundless unbranded horizons, not a series of google toll booths every ten yards. again, my opinion. whatever. but therein lies my big problem with google and all it stands for.

not knocking back at you astrobass, just giving my side. i respect your opinions and posts here on other things and you've probably helped me a hundred times previously, for which i'm grateful. maybe this is just a rare agree-to-disagree moment. certainly no direspect or confrontation intended. a little disagreement is a healthy thing. keeps the mind open.

anyway, i'll work this one out eventually.
tabbycat
Cap Cooler

Postby astrobass » 06 Mar 2015, 14:54

15 years ago the best free email options had like a 4 MB space limit AND they automatically signed you up for spam, cloud based data storage was in its infancy and was extremely expensive, youtube didn't exist, and reading the news meant going from one bookmarked newspaper's website to the next.

Nine years ago YouTube was popular but going broke because they never managed to figure out how to pay their ever increasing server and bandwidth costs and Google essentially saved them. Google News, search and YouTube can all be browsed and enjoyed without a profile.

Yeah, posting video requires an account but you're using free bandwidth and storage space on a widely recognized URL and you don't need to develop anything to get it to work. Just the fact that you don't even need to set up the database back end and code the interface for people to leave comments on your video, never mind figuring out streaming is a deal and a half.

The same is true of Drive and Gmail. If it weren't for Google ruining everything you wouldn't have low cost, high reliability services with massive free disk space allowances. It's a huge improvement. You couldn't possibly convince me to go back to how it was. I was a nerdy 17 year old then, I remember when we all switched from webcrawler and altavista to google for search. The price is a fair one. Far better than the trade-off MS or Apple were offering 10 or 15 years ago.

But even then, there are alternatives to all of those services. And half of Google's services really don't require anything from you either. So I don't agree that the Internet is less free or open because Google wants to know your real name for you to use the free services that require an account for their use, especially since the only ones that require an account do so for obvious technical reasons and nothing that shouldn't require an account does. And I definitely don't agree that there was anything better about the Internet before I could find shit on it. I think your memory is completely fuzzy.
astrobass
Cap Cooler

Have thanks: 71 times

Postby Duckman » 06 Mar 2015, 17:50

If they want every single bit of your info, they will have it... no matter what. 8)
Duckman
Opamp Operator

Have thanks: 121 times

Postby 287m » 06 Mar 2015, 20:22

I am, Sir!

first, FYI. my past is sp*mm*r in youtube to get money online
so, to register in youtube to get verified for upload long duration, must have phone number to get confirmation sms/ phone
1 phone number can verified 5-8 account. in my beloved country, mobile phone price is cheap! Damn, i love my country

just install something like VMware, etc. With proxy, sure. never use original PC/laptop.
fill identity with fake name generator, etc. HAhaha

But, when first meet google, i fill my real personal id. the #27 worst mistake :( :v
just to get in adsense, who can fired you everytime without warn.
its my story. when the dark full of light and black money.
287m
Breadboard Brother

Have thanks: 9 times

Postby tube-exorcist » 06 Mar 2015, 20:59

One sentence summs up all about Google, NSA & Co:

"If you lie down with dogs, you will get up with fleas"

So you have the choice....
"I've noticed there's an inverse relationship between cost of gear and talent. If you need the most expensive gear to get decent tones, then you suck as a player."
tube-exorcist
Cap Cooler

Have thanks: 75 times

Postby rocklander » 07 Mar 2015, 00:58

tabbycat wrote:unethical to me would be for me to give my personal info to a company i don't trust or respect.

so it's okay to essentially steal from a company cos you don't like them?

the transaction is implied. there's never any such thing as a free lunch.. you're attempting to steal the lunch.

all these big boys are evil, but if you want their services be prepared to pay the piper
world's greatest tautologist ...in the world

Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.

rocklander
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 287 times

Postby tabbycat » 07 Mar 2015, 07:24

rocklander wrote:
tabbycat wrote:unethical to me would be for me to give my personal info to a company i don't trust or respect.

so it's okay to essentially steal from a company cos you don't like them?

essentially yes. but only because it would be a waste of good hate if i didn’t.

rocklander wrote:there's never any such thing as a free lunch.. you're attempting to steal the lunch.

if you steal your lunch it's free. this goes some way to explaining the enduring appeal of theft.

rocklander wrote:all these big boys are evil, but if you want their services be prepared to pay the piper

alas, capitulation just encourages them...

287m wrote:first, FYI. my past is sp*mm*r in youtube to get money online

a noble occupation, 287m. i like your style and respect your honesty.

287m wrote:so, to register in youtube to get verified for upload long duration, must have phone number to get confirmation sms/ phone
1 phone number can verified 5-8 account. in my beloved country, mobile phone price is cheap!

thanks for the tip. you sound as if you know what you are doing. i'll try to get the online sms thing to work again this weekend. and look into your idea if that doesn't work.

287m wrote:when the dark full of light and black money.

that’s a mysterious thing to say. but very poetic. there's a lyric in there.

enjoy your weekend,

tabbycat.
tabbycat
Cap Cooler

Postby Brian M » 16 Jun 2015, 08:10

I think there are several reasons you are seeing independent websites use FB or google logins.

The obvious ones are to keep you coming back as they have a way to contact you when your post is quoted or gets a reply. Most of this can be accomplished by email.

The bigger reason might be security. Using 3rd party verification for logins removes the responsibility of securing user info. Google takes care of it, and they have more resources to spend on security than any independent site could hope to keep up with. Granted they are a bigger target, but any site built on forum software, wordpress or a CMS probably has hundreds of black hat tools meant to hack it.
Brian M
Cap Cooler

Have thanks: 53 times

Postby deltafred » 16 Jun 2015, 15:03

Brian M wrote:I think there are several reasons you are seeing independent websites use FB or google logins.

The obvious ones are to keep you coming back as they have a way to contact you when your post is quoted or gets a reply. Most of this can be accomplished by email.

The bigger reason might be security. Using 3rd party verification for logins removes the responsibility of securing user info. Google takes care of it, and they have more resources to spend on security than any independent site could hope to keep up with. Granted they are a bigger target, but any site built on forum software, wordpress or a CMS probably has hundreds of black hat tools meant to hack it.

Thanks it makes sense now. I used to log onto the city council WiFi when I was in town but tried it today and had to use Facebook, gmail, Twitter etc. and couldn't remember my gmail password.
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012
deltafred
Opamp Operator

Have thanks: 238 times

Postby tabbycat » 23 Jun 2015, 22:06

just a quick heads up for anyone getting the current annoying "Say hello with Skype on Outlook.com" dialogue screen when you log in to a hotmail account. kind of relevant to the 'control your own data' theme of this thread.

basically hotmail seem to be trying to push people into signing up for skpye accounts they don't want by blocking access to your emails until you click 'continue' on this "Say hello with Skype on Outlook.com" screen. that automatically signs you up to skype it seems. you can opt out but it's a lot of hassle and energy which they hope you will not be bothered to do. their 'just give in and be our bitch' policy.

if you don't want skype, or want to keep your hotmail and skype accounts seperate (ie not let them pool all your info) try this. worked for me.

"I use the Firefox browser along with the Adblock Plus add-on. To rid myself of the annoyance you describe, I opened Adblock while the popup was visible on screen. Adblock displays a list of blockable objects on the current page. I simply blocked any and all blockable objects containing a reference to Skype, closed & re-opened Outlook.com"
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outl ... 45c?page=2

basically use the adblock filter optin boxes to block skype.com in http addresses. refresh your browser and you are good to go. when and if you actually want to use skype later on you can just overide the block at will.

hope that's of use to someone.
obviously you need firefox and adblock but that's a pretty standard start-point if you are anti-spam and shite-ware anyway.

ps. i know hotmail is sucky too, but it has it's uses.
tabbycat
Cap Cooler

Return to Freestomp Café!