Wireless frequencies in your country ? (mics, IEM, etc.)

Anything non-technical you want to talk about, talk it over and have beer ...

Wireless frequencies in your country ? (mics, IEM, etc.)

Postby Cub » 26 Jun 2015, 00:16

Hello lads! Sorry, I really don't know in which of the technical bits of the forum this should go.

My Sennheiser units for guitar and in-ear monitor for my vocals served me well, but the 790 - 822 MHz range will be gone soon here. It would be a shame to see them sit around useless, so perhaps I can make somebody happy with them in a different region. Only thing is, I don't know where in the world this range is still free for wireless things.
Would any of you happen to know the available frequencies in your country ?

thanks a bunch!
I wish I were a chestnut tree, nourished by the sun.
With twigs and leaves and branches and conkers by the ton.
Cub
Resistor Ronker

Have thanks: 58 times

Re: Wireless frequencies in your country ? (mics, IEM, etc.)

Postby deltafred » 26 Jun 2015, 08:11

It looks like there is a battle raging for the 700MHz band in the UK http://www.shure.co.uk/support_download/frequencies

I haven't read it all but it doesn't look promising here either.
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012
deltafred
Opamp Operator

Have thanks: 238 times

Postby uncleboko » 26 Jun 2015, 09:44

The IEM frequency is useful for recording monitor mixes at gigs, given that one has the appropriate receiver! I downloaded a magnificent Jackson Brown gig recorded by someone in that way - CD quality!!
uncleboko
Resistor Ronker

Have thanks: 18 times

Postby Cub » 26 Jun 2015, 17:24

Thanks for looking it up, Fred. Looks like these sets will be just as useful over there as they are over here now.
My IEM signal would be rather useless for bootleg live recordings. Just my vocals and guitar with the other vocals and guitar.

Here's a good site with information about wireless in the UK http://losingyourvoice.co.uk/

Cub
Resistor Ronker

Postby Cub » 27 Jun 2015, 12:10

Cub
Resistor Ronker

Postby Cub » 10 Feb 2016, 16:08

Bit of a bump with good news for everybody here on this forum using wireless! Yes, for both of us. :lol:

It's been a bit quiet from the blokes at StageClix, but a mate told me they'll be releasing a (half a) 19" version of their digital wireless unit somewhere at the end of April. It operates on the 5,8 GHz band, so that should be good until 3D holograph mobile technology starts to become a thing.
http://www.stageclix.com

Of course, the regular belt-pack or jack-plug-transmitter-thing will be available as well.
Cub
Resistor Ronker

Postby deltafred » 10 Feb 2016, 22:16

My band has just gone to IEMs, the frequency is 863.1 - 864.9Mhz in 6 channels, so not a huge choice there.
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012
deltafred
Opamp Operator

Have thanks: 238 times

Postby Dirk_Hendrik » 11 Feb 2016, 15:20

Cub wrote:Bit of a bump with good news for everybody here on this forum using wireless! Yes, for both of us. :lol:

It's been a bit quiet from the blokes at StageClix, but a mate told me they'll be releasing a (half a) 19" version of their digital wireless unit somewhere at the end of April. It operates on the 5,8 GHz band, so that should be good until 3D holograph mobile technology starts to become a thing.
http://www.stageclix.com

Of course, the regular belt-pack or jack-plug-transmitter-thing will be available as well.

The standard latest issue of the stageClix jack already is 5.8Ghz
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com
Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 984 times

Postby mictester » 12 Feb 2016, 00:00

What's the latency like with the Stage-Clix effort? I haven't found any digital radio microphones or foldback in-ear gear that doesn't have noticeable latency issues. I used a 12 GHz talk-back system for foldback - briefly. It was horribly delayed.

I reverted to "low-band" around 55 MHz - with simple FM. I built several 20 mW PLL transmitters and several simple PLL receivers. They were tuned in 50 kHz steps and had a maximum - limited - deviation of 20 kHz. With simple pre- and de-emphasis, they were as quiet as using wires over anything up to 200 metres. All the kit was battery powered and used small (rather inefficient) helical aerials. These have been in use with a couple of bands for several years, and we haven't had any unwanted interest from the "authorities". 52 - 58 MHz is largely unused in Europe these days (apart from the occasional pirate radio "link" from studio to transmitter!).

The gear is utterly reliable, simple to use and cost very little to construct. The most expensive parts were the varicap diodes, the reference crystals, and the PLL chips! In fact, thinking about it, the Eddystone diecast boxes and the other hardware parts were as expensive as all the rest of the electronic parts!

If anyone wants the circuit scribbles, PM me: this kind of thing probably isn't what Modman would want on here!
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"
mictester
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 779 times

Postby Cub » 12 Feb 2016, 08:22

mictester wrote:What's the latency like with the Stage-Clix effort? I haven't found any digital radio microphones or foldback in-ear gear that doesn't have noticeable latency issues. I used a 12 GHz talk-back system for foldback - briefly. It was horribly delayed.

The latency is less than 3 milliseconds, it's negligible.
PM coming about the rest.
Cub
Resistor Ronker

Postby Dirk_Hendrik » 12 Feb 2016, 23:08

mictester wrote:What's the latency like with the Stage-Clix effort? I haven't found any digital radio microphones or foldback in-ear gear that doesn't have noticeable latency issues. I used a 12 GHz talk-back system for foldback - briefly. It was horribly delayed.

If you're asking latency questions you're right Mic. It's the most "ignored" parameter in digital wireless systems. However, in that sense I missed you in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=25918&p=249149&hilit=latency#p249149

Maybe 2 blokes asking the same question could have helped the TS to avoid a world of (12mS) pain.

The stageClix is in the 3mS range indeed. Thanks to using general purpose 2.4 and 5.8 Ghz chips instead of dedicated "wireless audio" chips. Combined with proper written firmware.
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com
Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 984 times

Return to Freestomp Café!