integrated circuit based fuzz designs

Anything non-technical you want to talk about, talk it over and have beer ...

integrated circuit based fuzz designs

Postby petey twofinger » 29 Jul 2015, 03:52

come to think of it , well the frantone peach fuzz is ic but , i am sure there must be others .

it seems to me part of the"fun" with fuzz is having to find the "right" or magic transistor(s)

for ME , personally , i have a painful back injury , i really like to limit tinker time and just build as quickly as possible as every minute i work represents a massive amount of recovery time laying prone , suffering .

i would think tolerances in integrated circuits would be extremely low if not non existent , but i am usually completely wrong and most often regret opening my mouth and especially typing things.

today i found this :

http://www.eleccircuit.com/simple-guita ... ng-ic-741/

http://www.eleccircuit.com/fuzz-audio-c ... ing-lm324/

http://www.eleccircuit.com/wp-content/u ... roject.jpg

http://www.eleccircuit.com/wp-content/u ... -lm324.jpg

has anyone here bult these or anything like them , any thoughts ?

which would bring me to the main question , what is the readily available ( tayda ) substitution for the lm741 ic chip ?
petey twofinger

Have thanks: 5 times

Re: integrated circuit based fuzz designs

Postby tabbycat » 29 Jul 2015, 05:36

hey petey, glad to hear you are still around and sorry to hear about your back troubles.

have you looked at the earth sound graphic fuzz? it's small but totally beastly and an easy build. no matching or biasing. just lock, load and slaughter. fsb thread here viewtopic.php?f=19&t=22197&hilit=earth+sound+research

i updated the vero i did that's in the thread. the one i originally did here was kind of ad hoc to accomodate tweaks. this is the same thing but a bit tidier.

keep it in condition, petey.
"be a good animal, true to your instincts" (d.h. lawrence).
"there is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion" (francis bacon).
"ni dieu ni maître" (anarchist slogan).
tabbycat
Cap Cooler

Have thanks: 63 times

Postby petey twofinger » 29 Jul 2015, 06:39

very cool , i have been collecting a few schemos but i do not have a vero for ic fuzz yet . i forgot about ic big muff as well , but iam really curious about the donkey that is mentioned in the notes so i pmed the guy .

i am thinking i should breadboard and do some monkey time , ouch , but ... i would also want a lm741 just because ... i have to look i think i got a stash here maybe . i know it tecnically doesnt matter but ... i suppose i could also look in some old stuff like from goodwill , what would have lm741 in it . a lot of the junk i can get for 1 dollar so . i did find anm old chip i have in one of my dirt boxs and it is nice just knowing that , even though i doubt it matters to the ear ha haa .

also i think tl071 is a sub for that chip . does anyonehave any thoughts on that ? i heard different ic's clip different , but ...

i am curious if there is a slew rate . i suppose i should data sheet that and not be so lazy but . i built an si moss rite clone yesterday , i have to do further testing but it does have that ancient fuzz vibe to it . a bit noisy . i dont know , if i can get a fuzz circuit to gate , so its quiet but the attack and release aren't too unusual . that is something i think that would be desirable , no ?

maybe i am high but that seems like it would be what you would be shooting for . does that exist ?

what about clipping the ic a little bit too . and then using the diodes as well . like a boost stage then the clipper , make the clippers switchable or warp control , could end up fairly flexible with tone controls but this is getting whacky . i would want to look into a mid switch rather than a pot maybe , i have a rams head clone with a mid switch i like but i claim ignorance on how that ius pulled off , i am guessing caps , like a resonant filter idea ?

seems like i should get busy more rock less type right . oh well . thanks for responding tabby . good to see your avatar , i should watch that again , its so uplifting . buy a cookie for the wife .
petey twofinger

Postby petey twofinger » 29 Jul 2015, 06:56

very cool , thank you ! so THAT vero is the one i will be building , and that is your personal version thanks for sharing as i need vero i am too dumb and lazy to figure out diylc

i am thinking i should get some lm741 , any thoughts on where ?

i am so gonna breadboard and monkey around ... ha haa . i did that with transistors a while back and it was kind of fun , so .

thanks man , i REALLY appreciate that . i looked at the thread , which i will be reading , i also checked the demo , holy cow !
petey twofinger

Postby tabbycat » 29 Jul 2015, 19:19

hey petey, glad it's useful to you. if you want octave, a couple of very lean and mean single ic fuzzes to try are gus smalley's octave up sick box and the seppuku octave drone.

your host is the prince himself, pink jimi photon...

Link

fsb thread here viewtopic.php?f=28&t=18173&hilit=octave+up+sick+box
gfx thread with vero here http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... k-box.html

and here is uncle grandfather from ilf....

Link

fsb thread here viewtopic.php?f=7&t=26033&hilit=octave+drone&start=20 (it's mixed in with the space fuzz as they are similar-ish things from the same builder). heavily derived from escobedo's rambler.
gfx thread with vero here http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabbl ... tml#a20910

re the graphic fuzz layout, you're welcome. got a lot of help from the good people here translating it from schematic to layout. a team effort.

my health not good atm either (haven't built for months because of it) so know exactly what you mean when you say you just want to hit and run, not be fiddling around for infinite days searching for the perfect transitor. that's a healthy man's time drain. so these are cheeky little spirit lifters, a lot of bang for you effort-buck. to tide you over with new toys until you pick up. which i hope you do soon.

happy building.
"be a good animal, true to your instincts" (d.h. lawrence).
"there is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion" (francis bacon).
"ni dieu ni maître" (anarchist slogan).
tabbycat
Cap Cooler

Have thanks: 63 times

Postby astrobass » 30 Jul 2015, 04:34

Op amp big muff. Doooo it. It's the ultimate IC based fuzz in my opinion. Better than most transistor big muffs too.

But if you want to be weird, my favourite commercial pedal that I own right now is the DOD FX-52 Classic Fuzz. It's nothing special on bass but it's suuuuuuuper cool on guitar. It's not going to be a fast build though, and I don't know of any layouts for it. You'd probably have to design a PCB, which sounds like more sitting than your back probably needs.
astrobass
Cap Cooler

Have thanks: 71 times

Postby petey twofinger » 30 Jul 2015, 05:02

yeah i am hip to the dod fx52 , i am not a digitech fanboy , i like good gear , some of the older DT stuff i really like (pds , 250 , multiplay etc) ,thats a pedal i have had my eye out for for a while , but i have never seen one of those in years .

we built the layout for the esr , i got it going by altering the output wiring , as i had nothing at first . i also had a chip with pins 1 5 and 8 already missing , imagine that ! but i ended up having to do a cut on track at pin five to get it running . it performs ok , the filter works , it gets silent with the control at zero . i am just thinking it is lacking in fuzz a bit . which i am guessing , this is all on me . thanks for the layout , more monkey time is in order . i was thinking , adding a simple blinky led circuit and then using a cds cell on the filter control , would be a nice little modulation hack too . i should slap this in a candy tin and see how it stacks as i t was a bit noisy laying on the table with a bunch of alligator clips ... ha haa . .

i really am intrigued by the circuits i posted yesterday , that first one , where he mentions the donkey is the one i really want to try . i am thinking i will look at that data sheet for the lm324 and prolly sub the lm741 maybe . which today i tried subbing a tl071 for the lm but that didnt work out so hot .

i got 20 lm741 for 2 bucks shipped here so i may be a while but i am thinking it could be a fun few months on the bread board . heck maybe few years as the transistor fuzz i played with took me 3 months .

thanks a ton you guys !
petey twofinger

Return to Freestomp Café!