DIY Pedals for a 68 Spec Super Lead

Anything non-technical you want to talk about, talk it over and have beer ...

DIY Pedals for a 68 Spec Super Lead

Postby sickman82 » 30 Jul 2015, 11:03

I want to put together a new pedalboard.. Entirely DIY this time. I'm in a new (ish) band, playing heavier stuff than I've done in the past. Not metal, by any means.. Maybe a more angular, rhythmic Kyuss. Maybe.

I'm playing a Les Paul, with a 1995 Marshall Super Lead Reissue that I modded to '68 Lead specs (the last thing I need to alter is the power supply filter caps, but in due course). The head is played through a Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab.. Vintage 30's.

So as a base tone it's dirty, cleans are there with volume rolled down. The fx I have I tend to wrestle with to get the tone I want from it.. It's not working. I'm used to Strats really, different game altogether.

I'm after a whole new pedalboard from scratch; OD, boost, Fuzz, distortion, delay, chorus etc. This is going to be a long project I guess, but I gotta start somewhere. Nothing major, maybe 5 Pedals or so. We'll see how it goes.

So what works for you guys with this kind of set up? I love fuzz, but I'm having a hard time with a Led Paul and a dirty amp. Boosts seem to work the best so far, but I miss the dirtyness and splatty fuzz tones I love. I thought that a good range master clone might be a trade off? Sabbath type tone. I'm rambling.. Over to you guys! Thanks in advance.
“Birds scream at the top of their lungs in a horrified hellish rage every morning at daybreak to warn us all of the truth, but sadly we don't speak bird.”
sickman82
Breadboard Brother

Have thanks: 5 times

Re: DIY Pedals for a 68 Spec Super Lead

Postby BAARON » 16 Aug 2015, 16:22

'68 specs... Is that the JTM45/Plexi style, or the aluminum-panel style?

I usually keep my volume/gain no higher than 5 on my JTM45 ish amp and I usually only play through the brite input. If I want to add some sizzle to the bluesy, creamy amp distortion, I boost it with my Bluesbreaker (set barely dirty). If I want to tighten it up and push the mids, I boost it with my Tubescreamer (set barely dirty). If I want raunchy distortion, I hit it with my DS-1 (80-90% gain and 40% tone). If I want classic fuzzy tones, I use my Fuzz Face, but I find it works best with a treble bleed cap on the guitar end of things: it cleans up differently when you roll the volume back.

I use the same setup whether I'm playing my Strat or my PRS. I just adjust the amp gain and EQ a bit to compensate, and even then I don't bother sometimes.

That said, I have a switch on my amp that revoices the preamp to a '70s style Super Lead voicing, and it's a totally different beast because it's so much brighter. I haven't figured out how to make that mode sound nearly as good as the JTM45 voicing.
BAARON

Have thanks: 18 times

Postby Cub » 17 Aug 2015, 16:51

I think you'll like this fuzz, it dan be as dirty and splatty as you want.
Basic Audio - Scarab Deluxe [traced]
Here are some really nice clips that show you what this puppy can do.

Link

Link
I wish I were a chestnut tree, nourished by the sun.
With twigs and leaves and branches and conkers by the ton.
Cub
Resistor Ronker

Have thanks: 58 times

Postby Fender3D » 17 Aug 2015, 17:17

I use D+ on bass input or combined bright+bass on my '69.
With LP you got Randy Rhoads' tone easily...
Ibanez Universe 7 strings, actually sounds "mellower" than LP
Fender3D
Cap Cooler

Have thanks: 121 times

Postby DrNomis » 19 Aug 2015, 17:22

If you want a Fuzz that'll work with your 68 Super Lead and Les Paul, you could consider building a Joe Bonnamassa Signature Fuzz Face, you could also consider building a Rangemaster too, I play a Vintage Sunburst Gibson USA Les Paul Studio, and I get good results with it and a Rangemaster pedal I built using an AC125 Germanium transistor, the Rangemaster is a vintage-style treble Booster, I quite like using it to kick a slightly overdriven amp into harder overdrive because the lows don't go all muddy and woofy.... :thumbsup
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.
DrNomis
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 384 times

Postby KittyCathy » 07 Sep 2015, 15:27

Cub wrote:I think you'll like this fuzz, it dan be as dirty and splatty as you want.
Basic Audio - Scarab Deluxe [traced]
Here are some really nice clips that show you what this puppy can do.

Link

Link

Thank you very much for that.
KittyCathy

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby sickman82 » 07 Sep 2015, 17:07

Crap! I never got any reply notifications other than the one from today.. Maybe they went to my spam folder? Thanks for the replies/suggestions etc.

Ok.. I worked from a Marshall HW series schematic when modifying it. There are a couple of little tweaks I made (all important master volume, switch for two different bright caps or no cap, removed the presence pot and put in a Vox style treble cut circuit), but that's basically what it is. The HW series is a direct lift from a 68 Plexi.. Think early Van Halen.. She's bright, loud and very impolite.

I tend to leave the bright cap out with pedals, and plug in to the lower high input - no bridge. Volume about 5-7 depending on my mood. I EQ the bass out, mids around 6 and treble around 4. Treble cut usually around 60%. This gives a perfect bluesy, crunch tone.. If I was in that kinda band, that's all I would need. It sounds so fucking great.

Since starting this thread I've added in a couple of pedals that are really working.. A Univox Unidrive clone.. That thing is a beast.. Works perfectly. I've modified a Fuzz Face clone I made with a cap blend on the front end, bias pot and a voltage sag pot.. Works great. So far so good.

Keep the suggestions coming though. I may well look in to the Scarab.. Looks like a cool pedal.

Do you think a Univox Square Wave would work well? I was also considering a Univox Super Fuzz too.. Seems I'm on a Univox binge at the moment!
“Birds scream at the top of their lungs in a horrified hellish rage every morning at daybreak to warn us all of the truth, but sadly we don't speak bird.”
sickman82
Breadboard Brother

Have thanks: 5 times

Return to Freestomp Café!