Just upgraded to Windows 10

Anything non-technical you want to talk about, talk it over and have beer ...

Just upgraded to Windows 10

Postby DrNomis » 30 Jul 2015, 16:54

I've just done the upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, so far my experience has been good, pretty much all the software that I was able to run on 8.1 seems to run fine on 10, the Freestompboxes.org website seems to be working normally on 10.... :thumbsup

Microsoft released the long-awaited successor to Windows 8.1, Windows 10, on the 29th of July, they offered it as a free upgrade to Windows 7 and Windows 8 users, one thing that I am happy about is Windows 10's Start menu which functions a lot like Windows 7's Start menu, it's like a cross between the Windows 7 and 6 Start menus, I think Microsoft have got the balance right so far, it's still early days so it'll be interesting how it all pans out.... :thumbsup
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.
DrNomis
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 384 times

Re: Just upgraded to Windows 10

Postby modman » 30 Jul 2015, 17:22

Forum is really running on linux on many levels, way down to the hosting servers.
Why don't you give it a try, it's free, virusproof and open source.
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop
"The whole point of diy is diy. It's not dsoiyathodtr - do some of it yourself and then have others do the rest" (paulc)
modman
a d m i n

Have thanks: 495 times

Postby DrNomis » 30 Jul 2015, 17:27

modman wrote:Forum is really running on linux on many levels, way down to the hosting servers.

I tried some Linux Distros but had too many headaches with device driver issues, but, I might give a Linux OS another go later on if I can get together some hardware to build a Linux Desktop PC..... :thumbsup
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.
DrNomis
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 384 times

Postby sinner » 30 Jul 2015, 20:24

Upgraded as well

Just for the ability of running on multiple pdf documents it was worth it

Windows 8.1 could view one at ones. Fuck you and die for that W8.
sinner
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 1098 times

Postby petey twofinger » 31 Jul 2015, 06:13

for what it is worth , the worst ( imean that in a good way ) computer guy i know ( LIVES on his machine ) posted to FB today that he is absolutely thrilled with 10 , he normally posts gripes related to networking and video gaming . he mentioned not having to install java as he is a minecrafter , this seems very nice . i have done a few assist house call pc jobs for folks , it seems older folks REALLY hate win 8 . the one old guy does online texas hold em gaming and was having all sorts of nightmares with java . i am still on 7 so , let me know when that goes out of style . member dos
? , norton commander .
petey twofinger

Have thanks: 5 times

Postby Ice-9 » 31 Jul 2015, 20:48

modman wrote:Forum is really running on linux on many levels, way down to the hosting servers.

Coz there is no Cubase for Linux so my music DAW is windows, but hell I have set up plenty Linux servers and it rocks for that.

AnyHoo, I'm on Windows 10 now for my laptop and it is running really well although a few probs with Cubase timing which I expect an update will follow soon.

Other issues with 10,
1. automatic updates can't be turned off and Microsoft decided they can update 3rd party drivers with whatever they decide is better, yes you can then uninstall these drivers but windows puts them back. .... Bad , this needs addressing.
2. Issues with Cubase, I expect a quick fix for this though.
3. The latest Quicktime is not compatible and the older version has security issues. Ok nobody really wants to use Quicktime on a pc but some programs need this. Of course these programs should be modified to use a superior format now.

Overall I like Windows 10, and it's a free upgrade if you have windows 7 or 8.1

My advice to anyone who wants a clean install, do the upgade to your existing windows first, you then need to extract the new product key as it will change from your original 7or8.1 key, use Magical jelly bean keyfinder for this. Download the full ISO disk for windows 10 by using the 'Media creation App' then install as any other windows distro.
It's fairly straight forward, if you want to start it , press start. You can work out the rest of the controls for yourself !

No silicon heaven ? preposterous ! Where would all the calculators go ?
Ice-9
Transistor Tuner

Have thanks: 338 times

Postby chicago_mike » 31 Jul 2015, 21:50

I am one of the geeky insider types. But I have been running Yosemite on my hackintosh most lately.

I prefer the power of windows, but I prefer the GUI of Mac.

#firstworldproblems :slap:
Skyline FX 2013
chicago_mike
Opamp Operator

Have thanks: 275 times

Postby sinner » 31 Jul 2015, 23:15

Ok. First issue. When I viewing images and after I rotate them it crashes the window and I cannot view them any more
sinner
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 1098 times

Postby mictester » 01 Aug 2015, 02:07

chicago_mike wrote:
I prefer the power of windows, but I prefer the GUI of Mac.

#firstworldproblems :slap:

Windows has no "power" Mike - you can only do what you're permitted to do. You have no choice of desktop, you are forced to use "approved" drivers (approval costs $$$$ and will just add to hardware costs), and the same old broken IP implementation that has been there since the beginning of NT is still crippling networking. It's bloated, unstable and cannot run older software. It is certainly not "backward compatible" as M$ claim.

The Mac GUI is pretty, but is actually built on top of a proper OS (BSD). It works well, but has many limitations and a paucity of some kinds of software.

The latest Linux distros are truly "free" and if you want a "Mac-type GUI" it's easily achieved. Software is also free, and there are applications for pretty much anything you can think of. If you really must run Cubase, you can - you just have to use a Windows API emulator. It's entirely virus-free, so you don't have to run stupid (and usually ineffective) performance crippling anti-malware rubbish. Linux has proper IP networking - built-in from day one, unlike Windoze, where it was a tagged-on afterthought (and hasn't ever worked properly). Something over 90% of all web servers run Linux, and almost all of those that don't will use BSD. Windows servers are a vanishingly small percentage. The reasons for that are obvious.....
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"
mictester
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 779 times

Postby chicago_mike » 01 Aug 2015, 16:33

I have tried linux a few times before, but way back in '02 - '04. Early days of Redhat and Suse when you could buy those at worstbuy.

I built myself a dual 1366 workstation and am running Yosemite on it and I do like it. I might run linux on it just to see whats happened in the last 10 years or so.

And yeah I paid for Cubase so I may as well use it. :slap:

I remember there was a version of linux called enlightenment. Supposed to have a super awesome advanced guy or some crap.
Skyline FX 2013
chicago_mike
Opamp Operator

Postby mictester » 01 Aug 2015, 21:06

Enlightenment is very pretty - it makes the Mac look basic! If you're going to try a recent version of Linux, try "Mint" with the Mate desktop option. You'll be very pleasantly surprised by how easy it is to install, configure, use and maintain. It's very fast (even on clunky old hardware), looks fabulous and Just Works™. It's also the right price! :wink:
mictester
Old Solderhand

Postby bajaman » 02 Aug 2015, 13:28

One word - DON'T :wink:
I found out the hard way - just got it working properly (I hope) after many frustrating hours. I considered rolling back to windows 7 at one stage, but Microsoft lied when they said this was possible - i got the message sorry but we cannot take you back to Windows 7 because files are missing (or words to that effect), so I had to persevere with Windows 10. Some of my problems included my dvd rom drive totally disappearing from the device manager :twisted: my anti virus program completely disappeared and I had a dog of a job getting it to work in Windows 10 when i reinstalled it. the machine must have shut down and restarted at least 20 times before I was happy with it. And then there is that f***ing awful excuse for a start menu - half of my programs were totally missing from it - why? go figure :scratch:
i downloaded a nice little program called Classic Shell and now i have my Windows 7 start menu and ALL my programs back in it!
Only had it running today so too early to tell BUT no walk in the park installing it that is for sure!
be kind to all animals - especially human beings
bajaman
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 822 times

Postby Guilherme » 02 Aug 2015, 16:37

Guilherme

Have thanks: 6 times

Postby mitchelr » 02 Aug 2015, 18:31

After problems with sound and resolution in windows 10 ( this is most likely because of an oldish laptop) , I have returned to win 7 with no problem ( It says you have a month to return )
mitchelr

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby bajaman » 02 Aug 2015, 22:51

( It says you have a month to return )

Yes it does BUT it did not allow it for me - just saying :wink:
be kind to all animals - especially human beings
bajaman
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 822 times

Postby deltafred » 03 Aug 2015, 13:28

chicago_mike wrote:I have tried linux a few times before, but way back in '02 - '04. Early days of Redhat and Suse when you could buy those at worstbuy.

I tried Redhat around that time but my hardware was't up to it so stuck with Windows until I got some virus in about 2007 when I loaded a very early Ubuntu and haven't been on the net with Windows since.

Up until about 2 years ago I was using an old W98 PC with CoolEdit2000 just for audio recording and editing but bought a Tascam hand held recorded and finally got my head round Audacity (after reconfiguring it a bit to my tastes).
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012
deltafred
Opamp Operator

Have thanks: 238 times

Postby mictester » 03 Aug 2015, 14:07

Audacity is a fabulous recording and editing tool.

I've been using Linux since the early 90s, and wouldn't ever dream of using anything else. Windows has the mass market (and all the malware, bloat and instability), Apple puts BSD and a pretty desktop on to commodity hardware (in pretty boxes) at premium prices, and Linux runs the internet, most infrastructure projects, TVs, telephones, modems, cars, trucks, trains and most other embedded systems. If you're truly serious about computing, you'll use Linux or BSD.

It's trivially easy to install and configure, and works flawlessly with >95% hardware. If you have really unusual hardware, there's bound to be workarounds available on the 'net to get it working.

Linux has a smaller "footprint" than Windows, makes better use of your hardware (including proper networking - you'll immediately see a speed difference), and is virus-free. It costs nothing (except a little effort to learn slightly different (usually more correct) ways of doing things). There are a plethora of versions (called "distributions") and each will usually include a comprehensive suite of software.

The best versions for beginners are "Mint" and "Ubuntu". Mint is probably the easier of the two for a first-timer because it has everything installed from the beginning. Other options are "Puppy" for people with old, small hardware, "Fedora" if you want to be right on the cutting edge (and are prepared to run beta-test versions of software), and PCLinuxOS if you want everything on one DVD (get the "Full Monty" version)......

Most Linux installers give you the option of keeping your old Operating System - if you want - in parallel with your new OS. They will install a "boot menu" that allows you to choose OS at start-up. Be careful if you decide to keep Windoze on the same drive - it's fragile and easily broken! Actually - seriously - carefully read the installation instructions to avoid damage to Windoze if you have to have it.

Welcome to the world of Free, Open Source Software!
mictester
Old Solderhand

Postby tube-exorcist » 03 Aug 2015, 19:42

How cool that some are so gullible to install the newest MS-spyware:
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-08-0 ... everything
The Surveillance State Goes Mainstream: Windows 10 Is Watching (& Logging) Everything

If Edward Snowden's patriotic exposure of all things 'super secret surveillance state' in America were not enough, Newsweek reports that, as 10s of millions of hungry PC users download the free upgrade, Windows 10 is watching - and logging and sharing - everything users do... and we mean everything.

From Newsweek:
http://www.newsweek.com/windows-10-reco ... ove-358952
More than 14 million devices are already running Microsoft’s Windows 10 after its global launch on Wednesday, but it’s unclear how many of their users read the company’s Privacy Policy and Service Agreement before downloading. Tucked away in the 45 pages’ worth of terms and conditions (effective August 1) is a substantial power grab: The company is collecting data on much of what you do while using its new software.

From the moment an account is created, Microsoft begins watching. The company saves customers’ basic information—name, contact details, passwords, demographic data and credit card specifics —but it also digs a bit deeper.

Other information Microsoft saves includes Bing search queries and conversations with the new digital personal assistant Cortana; contents of private communications such as email; websites and apps visited (including features accessed and length of time used); and contents of private folders. Furthermore, “your typed and handwritten words are collected,” the Privacy Statement says, which many online observers liken to a keylogger. Microsoft says they collect the information “to provide you a personalized user dictionary, help you type and write on your device with better character recognition, and provide you with text suggestions as you type or write.”

Congrats for your decision to install the newest spyware on your computer.....
"I've noticed there's an inverse relationship between cost of gear and talent. If you need the most expensive gear to get decent tones, then you suck as a player."
tube-exorcist
Cap Cooler

Have thanks: 75 times

Postby chicago_mike » 03 Aug 2015, 20:41

Hey fuck it!!

They're gonna spy on me I may as well give them some shit to spy about!! :applause:

I'm not gonna buy their shit, I'm not gonna talk about their shit, I'm not gonna smell their shit, I'm not gonna promote their shit.

But if I can piss someone off......thats better than masturbation! :mrgreen:

Lick my anus NSA!! lick it clean! I got an interview tomorrow! :P
Skyline FX 2013
chicago_mike
Opamp Operator

Postby roseblood11 » 03 Aug 2015, 21:25

I really don't know, why I should update. My Windows 8.1 is running fine, so what would be the advantage of the new version? Edge instead of Internet Explorer? I'm using Firefox anyway... Cortana? That would be the first thing to switch off...
roseblood11
Opamp Operator

Have thanks: 299 times

Next

Return to Freestomp Café!