Aluminum primer

Anything non-technical you want to talk about, talk it over and have beer ...

Aluminum primer

Postby chicago_mike » 05 Sep 2015, 21:38

https://www.menards.com/main/home-decor ... 956101.htm

I tried this stuff on earlier pedals and worked great with their ow Krylon paint.

But has anybody used an aluminum primer like this with metallic colors? Or different types of paints?
Skyline FX 2013
chicago_mike
Opamp Operator

Have thanks: 274 times

Re: Aluminum primer

Postby Ice-9 » 05 Sep 2015, 21:55

chicago_mike wrote:https://www.menards.com/main/home-decor/crafts/spray-paint/primer-spray-paint/rust-oleum-professional-aluminum-primer-spray-15-oz/p-1956101.htm

I tried this stuff on earlier pedals and worked great with their ow Krylon paint.

But has anybody used an aluminum primer like this with metallic colors? Or different types of paints?

I have not tried this but in general when you put a primer on metal it should be 'etch primer' which is an acid based primer that keys or ' etches' to the metal. :wink:
It's fairly straight forward, if you want to start it , press start. You can work out the rest of the controls for yourself !

No silicon heaven ? preposterous ! Where would all the calculators go ?
Ice-9
Transistor Tuner

Have thanks: 338 times

Postby chicago_mike » 05 Sep 2015, 22:04

I think it might be an etching primer. Hopefully. :)
Skyline FX 2013
chicago_mike
Opamp Operator

Have thanks: 274 times

Postby DrNomis » 06 Sep 2015, 00:13

+1 With what Ice-9 says... :thumbsup

I found out the hard way that,if you don't use a primer before painting your enclosures, the paint will have a nasty habit of peeling-off.... :thumbsup
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.
DrNomis
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 384 times

Postby roseblood11 » 06 Sep 2015, 00:48

I use the Hammerite primer, because it can be applied with a brush.
roseblood11
Opamp Operator

Have thanks: 299 times

Postby MoonWatcher » 06 Sep 2015, 03:51

Ice-9 wrote:I have not tried this but in general when you put a primer on metal it should be 'etch primer' which is an acid based primer that keys or ' etches' to the metal. :wink:

I've been using etching primer for years, and it works quite well.

The etching primer is rather expensive and smells rather rancid (like diesel mixed with bubblegum), but you only need a coat or two of it - just a dusting and then a second heavier coat.

After that, you can use traditional generic primers - anything to build up a uniform surface, if desired. This is if you want to actually sand the primer, which for a pedal is probably going overboard.

When I was a proper young lad and did metal fabrication, we did something called 'pickling,' particularly with aluminum. I am NOT necessarily recommending this, but it does (truly) enhance adhesion greatly. I honestly think that the etching primer probably constitutes 70% of what is involved with pickling, but it doesn't suffice as a complete pre-prep for a bare aluminum surface.

Not sure how important a durable and showy finish is, but I personally don't like to invest a lot of money or get wrapped up into things that are nasty for the environment, or my tired old lungs. The etching primer is a decent choice if you have a shed or similar, and can spray the thing and leave it there for a proper cure time. The pickling and all of that assumes you want a show stopper of a finish that is durable for the long haul. Considering it's something that gets stepped on repeatedly, I fail to see why that would be important. But I am just one aging bugger who doesn't give much of a toss at this point.
MoonWatcher
Diode Debunker

Have thanks: 63 times

Return to Freestomp Café!