Hi I'm new and excited about making some pedals! Now what?

Anything non-technical you want to talk about, talk it over and have beer ...

Postby highlux » 11 Oct 2015, 16:18

Hi guys. I'm Dave. Im interested in making some boxes for myself.

Just curious where to start....I assume kits to start? Best place to gt them?

I can solder and have a multi meter. I have a small 30 watt I used on 3 amps I repaired.
I can powder coat my boxes at home...I have a powder coat room in mt basement.

Just looking for the kind of advice you would give a noob who has skills but not a lot of knowledge on this particular subject.

Thanks in advance and I glad I found this site.
highlux

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: Hi I'm new and excited about making some pedals! Now wh

Postby edy_wheazel » 11 Oct 2015, 18:43

Well, start building.

Just curious where to start....I assume kits to start? Best place to gt them?

If you don't have experience making your own pcb's you can start with kits or vero's. In time it's better to make your own pcb's because you gonna have your own design pedals.

I can powder coat my boxes at home...I have a powder coat room in mt basement.

That's excelent.

Just looking for the kind of advice you would give a noob who has skills but not a lot of knowledge on this particular subject.

Before you start building you must have some knowledge in electronics.

Good luck!
edy_wheazel

Have thanks: 19 times

Postby highlux » 11 Oct 2015, 19:36

I will admit...I'm weak in electronics.

I "found" all the books and such floating around the internet...so I will crack the books and
study some basic electronics.

Are there other places to get beginner stuff than byoc?

Anyplace I might miss? When I learn whats up...I'm sure I will
order stuff separate...but I think for my first few pedals...I'd like to use a kit.

I have lots of time...I'm trapped at home getting over my 2cd back surgery in a little over a year.

Please tell me I get to use an oscilloscope at some point...always wanted to get one...lol

Whats a good beginner pedal to build? I like all kinds of music...Blues, Metal, Jazz, Rock, etc. I want this to be something at some point I might be able to offset some gear purchases etc from some pedal sales/repairs. I know I wont make money...lol.
highlux

Postby edy_wheazel » 11 Oct 2015, 19:50

Sorry for your health problems, hope you gonna be ok.
You don't really need an oscilloscope, at least not right now.
Studying electronics, at least some basics, it's a must. You need to know the components, what they do and what you shouldn't do with them.
I don't know kit's, never used them, but a good starting pedal should be a simple one, like a booster or a simple OD/distors pedal. Search for boosters like JHS Minibomb, MOS-FET booster, EP Booster, OD like Tube Screamer (TS-808, you can make a lot of mods on it), Timmy OD or others, simple distorsions like MXR Distorsion Plus, etc... Search the availability on local supplyers, demos on youtube, etc...
edy_wheazel

Postby highlux » 11 Oct 2015, 20:33

Thanks for the info, tube screamer would be a great pedal to learn first. Everyone should have one. I powder coated some boxes last weekend for a friend. Kawasaki green.

highlux

Postby edy_wheazel » 11 Oct 2015, 20:38

Nice job!
edy_wheazel

Postby Nocentelli » 11 Oct 2015, 21:04

Welcome to the forum. Cool boxes! Are you selling?

edy wheazel is right, start off with a single simple circuit with one or two transistors, or maybe a single opamp. These type of circuits are small enough to build on vero with very little experience or electronics knowledge. If you choose one of the circuits popular with the DIY pedal crowd, there will be tonnes of questions posed by people of similar experience levels to your own at places like byoc, DIYSB, ilovefuzz, FSB etc, so any potential problems you are likely to encounter will have been met by (dozens of) others before you. Read the threads, study the schematic, breadboard it out first if you have one, get one if you don't, try it out, match the parts on the schematic to the parts on a vero or perf layout, look carefully at pot wiring, bypass and LED switching schematics before you start. Have fun.

Other first circuit attempts include the bazz fuzz, electra distortion, ehx lpb1, amz miniboost, zvex super hardon, colorsound one knob fuzz, ehx opamp muff fuzz, smashdrive, and numerous circuits by the legendary Tim Escobedo
mmolteratx wrote:absolutely zero commercial use allowed. If I find anyone selling these, I'll fly to your house and kick you in the nads. And you may or may not find yourself in trouble.
Nocentelli
Tube Twister

Have thanks: 808 times

Postby highlux » 11 Oct 2015, 22:34

I would def sell boxes coated to peoples desire. Don't want t step on ant admin toes though...who to ask?

I'm cracking a basic electronics book open tonight. And I will order a kit here soon...just wanna look around make sure
I get it from right place etc...since I dont know any better yet.

But yeah...I would love to offer an array of coated boxes for sale coated the color choice. Who is a good box supplier? The good ones?

Thanks all....love the sight do far...its awesome. :D
highlux

Postby EBRAddict » 12 Oct 2015, 01:58

Kits from BYOC usually have a 30+ page build document, plus all the parts and a drilled enclosure. Good place to get your feet wet if you are completely green.
EBRAddict

Have thanks: 17 times

Postby DrNomis » 12 Oct 2015, 09:58

First of all, I'd like to say welcome to Freestompboxes.org, I started out in Electronics when I was about 13 years old, mostly self-taught but I've had some formal training, anyway, what I would suggest doing is check out the Davidoff Library section of the Forum since there is a lot of good information there which you can download, when it comes to building stompboxes start with the simpler designs and work your way up to more complicated ones, this helps you learn how to build things and also to gain experience, above all, don't be afraid to ask other forum members for advice or help since we were all once beginners at some stage, finally, please enjoy your stay at Freestompboxes.org...... :thumbsup
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.
DrNomis
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 384 times

Postby hadley101 » 02 Nov 2015, 03:20

Certainly not expert in guitar pedal building by any means
myself, since just getting started myself just recently
these are the places that I began with.

My 1st pedal ITS8 :
http://store.generalguitargadgets.com/

TS808 is a must have pedal for everyone regardless
of musical genre, great place to start.

GGG sells complete kits with bare enclosure included
that would allow you to paint as desired.

Very informative web site and great place to start as
well as BYOC

http://buildyourownclone.com/

Small Bear and Mammoth are my places to get
parts now.

(EDIT) Forgot that Mammoth has a few kits too and will
powder coat and drill enclosures.

http://www.mammothelectronics.com/

Welcome to pedal building, I enjoy it very much. In fact
a little too much, have to force myself to play my guitar
and get away from my Iron pretty often.

Good Luck
hadley101

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby stringsthings » 02 Nov 2015, 12:23

Welcome to the world of pedal DIY :D

General Guitar Gadgets offers some very good kits for the beginner ( as well as BYOC ). I've made several GGG kits. I think you can order them
without an enclosure. ( BTW, nice looking boxes ! )

You can start off without much electronic knowledge, although it's a good idea to learn as you go. I've been building for several years and I'm still
learning a bunch.

After getting your feet wet with kits, there's a good chance you'll want to get more in depth with the circuits. That's where a breadboard
comes in. A breadboard allow you to try out a circuit without committing to a permanent build. Again, you don't have to worry about that
at first.

Recently, I came across a great site for getting into guitar circuits http://tonefiend.com/tonefiend-diy-club-projects-resources/
There some really good stuff here about learning and building pedals.

Good luck and have fun ! :D
stringsthings

Have thanks: 6 times

Postby induction » 02 Nov 2015, 13:05

For someone who knows how to solder, but doesn't know much electronics, one of the first things you should do is get a breadboard and a bunch of components. Even if you are only interested in paint-by-numbers, a breadboard will allow you to hear the circuit in a very short amount of time. A circuit that might take several hours to build can often be breadboarded in ten minutes or less. No more guessing whether you like it enough to build it, or whether you should take someone's advice about mods like increasing input caps, swapping silicon clipping diodes for germanium, etc. Just try it and see how it sounds to you.

If you do plan to build some real electronics knowledge (which you'll need if you want to build for others, or do mods and repairs), then the breadboard is essential. There is no better way to learn how to read schematics than to breadboard them. You can easily convince yourself that you understand a circuit by looking at it a schematic, but to breadboard it you have to look at each component very carefully and understand how they all fit together. Breadboarding forces you to look closely, carefully, and systematically in a way that helps encode the information into your brain. You can read about what different subcircuits do online, and get lots of good information that way (as well as lots of handwavey descriptions, like "it makes the highs glassier and gives the mids more clarity", which could mean almost anything), but there is no substitute for putting the circuits together, listening to them, then changing stuff to directly hear what difference it makes.

For some reason, many beginners resist buying a breadboard. Maybe they don't want to spend the money (not very much) on parts that won't end up in a finished build. But your enjoyment and your knowledge will increase orders of magnitude faster once you get one and start to use it. I don't build any circuit that I haven't breadboarded first. I breadboard many, many circuits that I never build at all.

If you look online, you can find breadboard layouts for different effects. I advise you not to use them. They make it easier for beginners to finish a circuit, but at the expense of the dramatic increase in knowledge you'll get from figuring out where to put the parts for yourself.

Another suggestion, if you really want to understand pedal electronics. Download LTSpice IV and start playing with it. It's a free circuit emulator program. It can be used for exploring frequency responses, looking at simulated signals at different points within a circuit, simply drawing schematics, and much, much, more. It's fantastic for exploring the effect of different component values on frequency responses. There's a bit of a learning curve, and I'd give the breadboard priority in the beginning, but it won't hurt to start simulating circuits as early as possible.

My two cents, anyway.
induction
Resistor Ronker

Have thanks: 131 times

Postby Nocentelli » 02 Nov 2015, 16:29

induction wrote:For some reason, many beginners resist buying a breadboard. Maybe they don't want to spend the money (not very much) on parts that won't end up in a finished build. But your enjoyment and your knowledge will increase orders of magnitude faster once you get one and start to use it. I don't build any circuit that I haven't breadboarded first. I breadboard many, many circuits that I never build at all.

Big +1 from me about getting a breadboard early: I made a simple fuzz for my first build using a vero layout, and it worked first time. After that, I must have built about five or six in a row that either didn't work at all, or I just didn't like. After that, I got a breadboard and things got so much easier. I also breadboard before I build anything now, and I probably try out one or two new circuits per week at the very minimum.
mmolteratx wrote:absolutely zero commercial use allowed. If I find anyone selling these, I'll fly to your house and kick you in the nads. And you may or may not find yourself in trouble.
Nocentelli
Tube Twister

Have thanks: 808 times

Postby drbob1 » 30 Nov 2015, 03:20

I will say that the solder pads on the BYOC kits are bigger and heftier than the ones on GGG kits, so that's where I'd start.
drbob1
Cap Cooler

Have thanks: 39 times

Return to Freestomp Café!