What's freestompboxes.com?

Anything non-technical you want to talk about, talk it over and have beer ...

What's freestompboxes.com?

Postby Dixie Guitars » 02 Dec 2015, 02:26

Hello,

I recently joined this forum and have only been posting in one topic.

Since I'm new, I made the mistake of typing the wrong URL a coupe of times, instead of .org I typed .com, so I went to freestompboxes.com.

First time I did it, it redirected me to a web site that told me my Mac was infected with a virus. I figured out that I typed the wrong URL and closed the window. That was last week.

Today I made the same mistake again, from my wife's computer and I was redirected yet to another URL that gave me a slightly different message, but also that my Mac had a virus and that I had to click on a button to clean up my mac. I didn't click, but after closing the window I typed freestompboxes.com to see which exact URL it was redirecting to. But this time it redirected to a completely different web site. I closed the window and tried again and again was directed to a different site. I tried several more times and each time it was different.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on with this freestompboxes.com URL?

Thank you...
Dixie Guitars

Have thanks: 1 time

Re: What's freestompboxes.com?

Postby JudgeMingus » 02 Dec 2015, 06:56

Simple answer - someone else has registered the address freestompboxes.com and is probably using it as a redirector to scrape advertising reference money.

Nothing to do with this site*, just your average run-of-the-mill internet pain in the arse.

* Except that the owner of that site noticed that freestompboxes.org is likely to by mis-entered as freestompboxes.com.
JudgeMingus

Have thanks: 7 times

Postby Dixie Guitars » 02 Dec 2015, 14:30

Thank you, both, for your replies.

DrNomis, while on the subject, can you recommend a reliable Mac anti virus software scanner?

Thanks...
Dixie Guitars

Postby modman » 02 Dec 2015, 17:29

Back in the summer of 2007, I started off the forum on a free forum hosting website. I might be mistaken, but it was hosted on phpbb.com. Very soon we moved to our own server, and needed an url of our own. So I checked prices on freestompboxes.com a few times, hesitated, checked the prices again, hesitated some more... and when I finally wanted to register, it was taken. Sold?

Not really, I believe the website I checked prices on was a trickster. You set up website to check url prices, and register activity. If the price is checked x times, buy it and resell for $150 instead of $8. Keep this in mind when registering urls. I have taken some steps to acquire the domain. Not successful yet. But watch this:

http://www.stompboxology.com

I could buy every type of url for freestompboxes but then they would still do this:
http://freestompbox.com/

So :secret:
if you're a complete hippie and don't do it for money, there's always an asshole who'll do YOU for twice the price!
"The whole point of diy is diy. It's not dsoiyathodtr - do some of it yourself and then have others do the rest" (paulc)
modman
a d m i n

Have thanks: 496 times

Postby Dixie Guitars » 03 Dec 2015, 05:03

I see...

I hate greedy speculators who hijack domain names that could otherwise be put to good use.

Even if you had initially clicked to buy the domain name it doesn't mean you would have been able to buy it at the listed price. That's what happened to me one. Domain name was listed for around 100 bucks, but when I clicked BUY the system prompted me that the price just went up to $500.

Some people just can't do straightforward deals in life.
Dixie Guitars

Postby mictester » 04 Dec 2015, 13:28

Dixie Guitars wrote:Thank you, both, for your replies.

DrNomis, while on the subject, can you recommend a reliable Mac anti virus software scanner?

Thanks...

There's no such thing. If your machine gets virussed, it will probably be by something very new - too new for an anti-virus scanner to detect. All anti-virus products are just so much snake-oil: they're completely worthless.

If you have a virus problem with your computer (and this is unlikely with a Mac), you're running the wrong Operating System. Windows is deliberately infested with vulnerabilities and back-doors, mostly inserted for the benefit of the American NSA. The simple fix is to get rid of Windoze and stop paying for their dreadful software. Go to http://www.ubuntu.com or http://linuxmint.com/ and see what a proper, secure, reliable, open operating system can do for you!
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"
mictester
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 779 times

Postby DrNomis » 04 Dec 2015, 17:40

Just noticed that my previous posts in this thread are no longer here, what happened?....... :scratch:
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.
DrNomis
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 384 times

Postby PokeyPete » 04 Dec 2015, 20:29

DrNomis wrote:Just noticed that my previous posts in this thread are no longer here, what happened?....... :scratch:

DrNomis, you just have to stop using so many obscenities and vulgarities !!!! :wink:

Just kidding you, Simon. Never known you to be anything other than polite and helpful. Reading through this thread, I noticed
that one or more of your posts seemed to be missing and I was wondering what happened to it/them as well. :)
“No man is so foolish but he may sometimes give another
good counsel, and no man so wise that he may not easily err
if he takes no other counsel than his own. He that is taught
only by himself has a fool for a master.”
–Hunter S. Thompson
PokeyPete
Resistor Ronker

Have thanks: 64 times

Postby DrNomis » 05 Dec 2015, 00:22

PokeyPete wrote:
DrNomis wrote:Just noticed that my previous posts in this thread are no longer here, what happened?....... :scratch:

DrNomis, you just have to stop using so many obscenities and vulgarities !!!! :wink:

Just kidding you, Simon. Never known you to be anything other than polite and helpful. Reading through this thread, I noticed
that one or more of your posts seemed to be missing and I was wondering what happened to it/them as well. :)

Lol...and here I was thinking that my evil alter-ego had decided to play a prank on me, anyway, it's all good PokeyPete, and thanks for making my day mate, cheers..... :lol:

In real life, when I'm not online here in FSB, most of the time I do tend to be polite unless something is really annoying me for some reason, I do swear a bit in real life and I'm not too proud or ashamed to admit it either, I'm sure most people have used the odd bit of colourful language at some time in their lives..... :lol:

Going back to my missing posts, I'm pretty sure that I didn't say anything to warrant my posts being deleted, that's what's got me puzzled..... :scratch:
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.
DrNomis
Old Solderhand

Postby Dixie Guitars » 05 Dec 2015, 13:37

DrNomis wrote:...I'm pretty sure that I didn't say anything to warrant my posts being deleted, that's what's got me puzzled..... :scratch:

Speaking from memory, too, I also don't remember anything from your post(s) that anyone would object to.

But, then again, I work on a ship, so I'm so used to cursing that I would not have noticed the use of extreme obscenities and vulgarities. :mrgreen:
Dixie Guitars

Postby modman » 14 Dec 2015, 10:05

Yeah, what happened? The topic was: er... read the subject line.
You go off on a tangent about how important virus software is, especially for the Mac. Then somebody asks:
Dixie Guitars wrote:DrNomis, while on the subject, can you recommend a reliable Mac anti virus software scanner?
Thanks...

Then you answer: I don't know, I never use Macs...
PokeyPete wrote:Never known you to be anything other than polite and helpful.

The real answer is indeed:

mictester wrote:There's no such thing. If your machine gets virussed, it will probably be by something very new - too new for an anti-virus scanner to detect. All anti-virus products are just so much snake-oil: they're completely worthless.
If you have a virus problem with your computer (and this is unlikely with a Mac), you're running the wrong Operating System. Windows is deliberately infested with vulnerabilities and back-doors, mostly inserted for the benefit of the American NSA. The simple fix is to get rid of Windoze and stop paying for their dreadful software. Go to http://www.ubuntu.com or http://linuxmint.com/ and see what a proper, secure, reliable, open operating system can do for you!
[/quote]

Dr. Gnomis post count: almost 7000 --- king of the forum. Why don't you close your Windows 10 Virus bee hive, and go outside: maybe find a real person to talk to.
I'm beginning to consider deleting your account altogether.

Where does this come from? Giving other people advice without knowing what you are talking about? Is this going on in all your posts?
"The whole point of diy is diy. It's not dsoiyathodtr - do some of it yourself and then have others do the rest" (paulc)
modman
a d m i n

Have thanks: 496 times

Postby DrNomis » 14 Dec 2015, 10:17

modman wrote:

Yeah, what happened? The topic was: er... read the subject line.
You go off on a tangent about how important virus software is, especially for the Mac. Then somebody asks:
Dixie Guitars wrote:DrNomis, while on the subject, can you recommend a reliable Mac anti virus software scanner?
Thanks...

Then you answer: I don't know, I never use Macs...
PokeyPete wrote:Never known you to be anything other than polite and helpful.

The real answer is indeed:

mictester wrote:There's no such thing. If your machine gets virussed, it will probably be by something very new - too new for an anti-virus scanner to detect. All anti-virus products are just so much snake-oil: they're completely worthless.

Dr. Gnomis post count: almost 7000 --- king of the forum. Why don't you close your Windows 10 Virus bee hive, and go outside: maybe find a real person to talk to.
I'm beginning to consider deleting your account altogether.

Where does this come from? Giving other people advice without knowing what you are talking about? Is this going on in all your posts?[/quote]

:shock: :scratch:
DrNomis
Old Solderhand

Return to Freestomp Café!