Bad experience with futurlec - bait and switch

Anything non-technical you want to talk about, talk it over and have beer ...

Bad experience with futurlec - bait and switch

Postby mistermikev » 07 May 2016, 21:57

Hello,
just wanted to pass along my experience so others don't make the mistake I did.

Ordered approx $35 worth of caps and other misc stuff from futurlec. I usually buy from tayda and mouser but tayda doesn't carry any 'higher end' (I don't always use them)caps and mouser's interface and lag time just annoy me to no end.

I carefully ordered nothing but wima caps and at $.20 and up they were on par with mouser.

I got my order today... two of the groups of caps I ordered were actually wima the rest were those cheaper (typically $.08 at mouser) yellow jobbies (not sure of the brand).

Now, I don't want to start the great cap debate, but it's my belief that if I order them and check each picture of the item to see the brand... and pay for the brand... I should get the brand.

I wouldn't have minded if 1 or 2 groups were substituted w/o my consent... but out of twelve part values I ordered multiples of, 4 were actually wima.

What would you do? Heck I've ordered these types of caps before and found them to be fine. I just feel like they've baited and switched me, and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
I have all the parts on the board populated... so all the real work is done... now I just have to get it working.
mistermikev
Breadboard Brother

Have thanks: 1 time

Re: Bad experience with futurlec - bait and switch

Postby MoonWatcher » 07 May 2016, 23:53

mistermikev wrote:...Ordered approx $35 worth of caps and other misc stuff from futurlec...

...What would you do?

I wouldn't order from Futurlec again, and just chalk it up to a $35 learning experience.

I've had problems with all parts suppliers at one time or another. If the problems are either big or consistent, I won't use them, or at least not for the parts that are the problem.

For the most part, I've been okay with Tayda, but they seem to not be capable of sending me 3mm ultra-bright red LEDs when I order them. I also wish they had better quality DC jacks, and I don't care for their input/output jacks.

And I've been okay with Mouser, with the few things that I get from them. I only order things that I can't seem to find elsewhere, and they are things I use regularly. I never go to Mouser's site looking for new or different stuff, because it becomes an expensive experiment most of the time. Their code numbers for pots are ridiculous - I've ended up with stuff that was the wrong taper, or had some goofy shaft length, or some goofy threaded part of the shaft length. I've never experienced that with either Tayda or Futurlec.

Even though ordering from more sources means more shipping costs to each one of them, I still prefer it because I know that I'm usually getting what I expected to receive. Maybe for the super-frugal this might be a problem, but my time is usually a little more of a priority than my money is. It certainly sucks to order something, wait a few weeks for it to arrive, and then end up with parts you either can't use, or didn't want.
MoonWatcher
Diode Debunker

Have thanks: 63 times

Postby bajaman » 08 May 2016, 00:18

I used to use Futurlec a lot but they are very slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow :evil: to despatch, so Tayda for me these days :thumbsup
be kind to all animals - especially human beings
bajaman
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 822 times

Postby mistermikev » 08 May 2016, 01:05

Thanks for your responses gentlemen.

I feel a little better having read them.

mouser: yes, little more expensive but very fast and I've usually gotten exactly what I've ordered... if not they've treated me right. the downside: it takes an hour or more to put an order together. If I try to grab an old project... half the stuff in it is no longer avail (at least not under that part number). Their database is just too big for their own good. bringing back 50k records on .01 caps.

slow futurlec: yes indeed... 4wks to get my stuff. their site is poorly designed so once you order you really can't even look back at what you ordered. it's easy to find things there and they have some nice switched pots that I like... but I think I'm done with them.

tayda has been really great. I like there jacks. I've had good luck with them. if they offered nichicon or wima caps I don't think I'd have a reason to ever go anywhere else.

thanks again for the responses.
I have all the parts on the board populated... so all the real work is done... now I just have to get it working.
mistermikev
Breadboard Brother

Postby Dirk_Hendrik » 08 May 2016, 15:41

Usually sites explicitly state that the picture doesn't have to match the actual item. Quite often I do find this very annoying because it is that picture than often helps so much selecting the correct item. Especially when it is regarding a parameter that the manufacturer never considered important (personal example: Try to find a USB cable where the outer diameter is specified.....) but is crucial in your application.

In this case however the Futurlec site is very specific on the brand of the capacitors you ordered. It says "various".
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com
Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 984 times

Postby mistermikev » 08 May 2016, 23:10

first baja now dirk?! I'm a bit star struck(both). hope I'm not an idiot for gushing.

I had a feeling someone might come along and point out something on the site that says something like "substitutions may occur" and actually went back to look and was looking on the cap page expecting it to be in a more general location... and here it is - in front of my very eyes. I guess that settles it: was my fault.

on another note, and if I may... I have been looking at your summation of ibanez pedals all weekend. I've recently bought some inexpensive vintage stuff - an ibanez ad-150 electronic delay - and have caught the bug.

Was wondering if you (or anyone else) has any additional resources for inexpensive bbd pedals that are sort of still 'sleepers'?
mistermikev
Breadboard Brother

Return to Freestomp Café!