SRV tone with pedal

Anything non-technical you want to talk about, talk it over and have beer ...

SRV tone with pedal

Postby musicheals » 04 Jan 2018, 13:34

Hi,
just wanna let you know I just found a new pedal that gives authentic SRV tone. Sounds amazing!

Link
musicheals

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: SRV tone with pedal

Postby modman » 05 Jan 2018, 20:30

Do you want to share the schematic?

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/for ... th-a-pedal
Screenshot from 2018-01-05 20-29-55.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The whole point of diy is diy. It's not dsoiyathodtr - do some of it yourself and then have others do the rest" (paulc)
modman
a d m i n

Have thanks: 549 times

Postby Dirk_Hendrik » 06 Jan 2018, 12:15

Oh great!
- The plug sockets and the stable footswitch are handwired
- The electronic components are of the highest quality and selected for best sound quality.

Here's some more inspiration for your sales talk:
http://dirk-hendrik.com/boutique.html
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com
Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 1010 times

Postby bool » 07 Jan 2018, 15:49

Eh Dirk youre getting old.

You forgot the most amazing keyword:

- The gizmo preserves the most full tone integrity.

(or some other variation on the theme .. like most authentic tone integity.)
bool
Breadboard Brother

Have thanks: 11 times

Postby Dirk_Hendrik » 08 Jan 2018, 18:20

bool wrote:Eh Dirk youre getting old.

Thanks for the heads up! :applause:
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com
Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 1010 times

Postby musicheals » 17 Jan 2018, 18:35

Wow, you seem to be a real expert... :shock:
musicheals

Postby lead2203 » 19 Jan 2018, 23:36

musicheals wrote:Wow, you seem to be a real expert... :shock:

He is and is someone that contributes a lot to this form, and you seem to not know anything but sales pitch bullshit. This isn't a place to sell stuff or play this game that you are obviously playing.
lead2203
Breadboard Brother

Have thanks: 9 times

Postby Gristlepig » 22 Jan 2018, 14:47

So... It’s a Tube Screamer with Monte Allums mods?
Gristlepig

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby deltafred » 23 Jan 2018, 13:22

Gristlepig wrote:So... It’s a Tube Screamer with Monte Allums mods?

I have a hunch that he signed up on FSB to schil his pedal not to help out the DIY community, :lol:

Not to worry, if it is successful it will be traced sooner or later otherwise it will soon be forgotten!
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012
deltafred
Opamp Operator

Have thanks: 258 times

Postby phatt » 23 Jan 2018, 13:33

I have no idea what Monte has done but this pedal is unlikely to be a mod of TS.
A clue to the signal path is on the JCA webpage.
Active bass > diode clip > passive treble > or something along those lines.
Of course you still need an Amp that is setup to OD in the right way or it will just sound like another dirt pedal.
This clip does at least explain the importance of having the right Amp;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gxCzqA2gwI
There's likely many ways to get that sound. You just need to understand that it's not the Pedal mojo it's the combination that makes it happen.
Phil.
phatt
Transistor Tuner

Have thanks: 255 times

Postby electrosonic » 23 Jan 2018, 20:14

Active bass > diode clip > passive treble

That pretty much sums up a Timmy Pedal.

Andrew.
electrosonic
Breadboard Brother

Have thanks: 19 times

Postby phatt » 26 Jan 2018, 14:37

Well yes a timmy could work but there is still the missing tone tilt!! I'm yet to hear an all in one pedal as good as the clip I linked to above.
I just wish he would plug that into a SS amp as then you would realize that it only works because of the way certain valve amps OD.
A lot of dirt pedals have way too much diode fizz to get this particular sound and a BIG part of that is due to too much bottom end passing through.
The trick is to get enough high pass tilt but still keep the bottom end tight,,so there must be some high pass involved. I'm sure if you messed around with OD circuits for long enough you could pull off something similar.

FWIW,
I've mentioned this on several forums but I don't get much response,, most likely because most think that it could not possibly be so simple.
If you are the lucky owner of an amp from that era then all you need is a cap and a couple of resistors in front of the amp and you will instantly recognize the tonal signature of SRV,, now just add a TS or similar. [smilie=a_yumdumdoodledum.gif]
Remember that Stevie ran those amps at full volume and I've never been able to turn the volume full without the sound turning into mud BUT YOU CAN if you tilt the tone BEFORE the Amp. :secret: It does not matter if you turn the bass to full it does not turn to mud even at full volume. :mrgreen:
Without that tilt it's mud.
HTH,, Phil.
phatt
Transistor Tuner

Postby Jay Bones » 26 Apr 2018, 09:24

No, you've got to get this pedal.

Make sure you crank up the face though...

And avoid this one.

Jay Bones

Postby roseblood11 » 28 Apr 2018, 20:51

Just to add s.th. useful...
SRV sometimes used two overdrive pedals in series. Inspired by him, I made these layouts a few years ago. One for two tube screamers on one board, the other for a TS-9 and a SD-1. Both fit in a 1590b enclosure.

http://musikding.rocks/index.php/Image/ ... 6-Dual-OD/

http://musikding.rocks/index.php/Image/ ... 1-Dual-OD/
roseblood11
Tube Twister

Have thanks: 310 times

Postby soulsonic » 29 Apr 2018, 07:21

I always thought it were Tubescreamer into a cranked up Fender amp. + Strat. + Heavy Strings. + Detuned.

Wonder what happens when Les Paul player who likes 9s tries this... :horsey:
soulsonic
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 270 times

Postby roseblood11 » 01 May 2018, 18:18

He used Super Reverbs, Vibroverbs, 200w Plexi Marshalls, Dumble Steel String Singer and many other amps, often some of them in parallel. His amp room below the stage must have been hell on earth
roseblood11
Tube Twister

Have thanks: 310 times

Postby fuzzbunny » 02 May 2018, 03:48

phatt wrote:FWIW,
I've mentioned this on several forums but I don't get much response,, most likely because most think that it could not possibly be so simple.
If you are the lucky owner of an amp from that era then all you need is a cap and a couple of resistors in front of the amp and you will instantly recognize the tonal signature of SRV,, now just add a TS or similar.
HTH,, Phil.

I recall a diagram suggesting SRV's guitar cord might have contained a passive cap/resistor circuit. Was that you?
fuzzbunny

Have thanks: 10 times

Postby phatt » 02 May 2018, 15:13

Hi Fuzz,,Yes I would be that fool,, :mrgreen:

Long time back I mentioned this to King tut as I had purchased one of his books. He helped me out with some OT questions.

I mentioned this simple and highly effective trick,, asking if it he had ever heard of the idea.
Being so dead simple I'm sure I was not the first person to stumble upon the idea.
Kevin replied saying he had never heard of that being used but it would indeed do what I found. He obviously saw merit in the idea as he later added it to one of his books. 8)

You don't have to have the cap in the lead but it's a quick easy way to do it. As long as the cap is the last thing before the amp input then it will work. Just use your dirt pedals as per normal then into the cap right before Amp.

In the case of multiple Amp setups the most obvious way would be to insert a cap and a couple of 68k resistors right inside the spliter box then into the HIGH Z inputs of all the amps. This pulls all the high inputs back to low with the high pass filter and the Amps can then be cranked to full power with no farting of the low end. :horsey: :horsey:

If it was done that way no one would even know hence everyone is left scratching there heads about how you can get those amps to run so clean at full power. :scratch: :scratch:

For most Amps from the old era,, VERY few would be able to run at full power with all the tone knobs at ten and deliver the sweet singing OD effect that SRV produced,,, As most are way too bass heavy.

Yes if you want to tweak the internals of ONE old amp you might come close but try to do that with 40 or more amps (some quite different) and have them all produce the same basic tonal signature you would be working day and night and still not succeed.

Yes I've heard a few tweaked amp circuits that sound like SRV tone but that only works at lower volume levels,, Cranked to full volume they fall over and fart.

It's just a high pass filter that lowers the sensitivity of the first stage and allows you to crank the volume which then gets the PI and power section into that sweet singing OD.

The low input also slams the Inductive hump/peak that ALL mag pu's induce when plugged into a hiZ input and flattens the frequency response while limiting the bandwidth. :secret: :secret: You get far better control over the treble this way. :secret: :secret: :secret:
so you roll off bass and roll off the hump as well as limit the highs you will get instant SRV tone and sweet singing OD from a lot of old amp designs.
I can do it with a 10 watt rig made from old radio parts as well as a 100 watt marshall.

I'm yet to find a simpler way to get that sound,,, the cost of a cap,, a guitar pick will likely cost more than the cap,, :lol: :lol:
Phil.
phatt
Transistor Tuner

Postby Frank_NH » 03 May 2018, 13:32

Very interesting, Phatt - thanks for sharing this! So I suppose a 22 nF cap with a 68K resistor forming a HPF (with corner frequency around 100 Hz) would do the trick? Easy enough to experiment with, though I imagine you want this as close to the input jack of the amp as possible.
Frank_NH
Breadboard Brother

Have thanks: 66 times

Postby phatt » 03 May 2018, 15:54

Hi Frank,,You are welcome. :thumbsup
No you don't have to have this directly at the amp input ,,as long as it's the last thing in the signal path *Before* Amp input.

You can make a small jiffy box and recreate the low input with two 68k resistors and just add a 1n5 cap in front of those resistors and use the High Z input,,which will render any hiZ input back to lower Z but with a hi pass filter.
The box can be on the output of your pedal board.
Better still here is a video I made not so long back as a few folks have been asking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWI45ng ... e=youtu.be

I recently had some $ so I purchased a small camera which does reasonable video so this is my first attempt at a utube vid.
Everything I own is budget gear but shows what can be achieved with simple tricks.

This does lower the perceived power but you can't turn those old BF amps to ten anyway so you can't use all the power unless you like splatter bass. [smilie=a_whyme.gif]
This will keep the OD sweet all the way to ten and it's as close as I've heard to that effect. 8)

Caveat; If you don't play loud don't expect it to sound convincing. [smilie=a_ohyahbaby.gif]

Be aware that these little cameras have built in compression and the tiny mic can't pickup the low end so you don't really hear how farty the bass is when using the high Z input at high volume,, but it gives you an idea of what happens.
Enjoy
Phil.
phatt
Transistor Tuner

Next

Return to Freestomp Café!