Newbie Here (Apologies) Any Overdrive/Fixed Wah Schematics?

Anything non-technical you want to talk about, talk it over and have beer ...

Newbie Here (Apologies) Any Overdrive/Fixed Wah Schematics?

Postby Ren335 » 05 Sep 2018, 04:30

I just came here from The Gear Page seeking some pedal advice. I don't know if this is the place to post this beginner so please lead me to the correct forum topic if I'm in the wrong place. Anyway, I have a friend who has agreed to help me out with my first pedal build as long as I come with 1. A schematic and 2. The knowledge of what type of board I'll be using for this project. Nonetheless, I plan on starting off with a simple overdrive pedal so that I may get used to how things work (Nothing too generic, just something simple that sounds good.) I planned on making a single knob fixed wah pedal, but I get the vibe that it's not exactly a good starting point. So, are there any recommended beginner schematics I may be able to get for a nice starter overdrive? Also, what type of board should I use for this kind of stuff? (Fixed wah schematic would be a great bonus for future reference.) I do have soldering experience and I do know how to read some schematics (Plan on improving both skills with this experience.) NO KITS! I want to do this from scratch. Any help is much appreciated!
Ren335

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: Newbie Here (Apologies) Any Overdrive/Fixed Wah Schemati

Postby roseblood11 » 05 Sep 2018, 07:09

The easiest way to start with would be a ready-made pcb with build instructions. Search for madbeanpedals, aion effects or many others...
If you really start from scratch, choose veroboard. tagboardeffects.com or sabrotone.com have great layouts and (links to) tutorials. And studying the step-by-step build instructions of some kits is really helpful, even if you don't want a kit. Also useful: the file "offboard wiring" amongst the fx projects at tonepad.com, and a tutorial titled "how and why to solder correctly" on youtube, even if you have soldering skills.
Maybe choose a simple opamp based overdrive to start with. Use a socket for the ic.
My way of working with veroboard:
-print a (horizontally) mirrored version to make the cuts. Use a hss drill bit for the cuts (hand held). Remove any oxydation with sand paper. Clean carefully and check for unwanted connections between traces and across cuts. Clean with alcohol, then coat the board with sk-10. Populate the board, jumpers first, then small parts, wire connections last. Always shorten the legs before soldering. Solder (to long) wires to the board, not yet to the pots. Again, clean the board with alcohol, check everything carefully and clear coat the solder side with sk-10 (this time for protection, the first coat was to make soldering easier). Screw pots and jacks to the enclosure and as a last step, shorten the wires and solder them to the offboard components. Not to short - remember that you might have to reach the solder side of the board for debugging. Use some kind of plastic to isolate the board from the enclosure and the back of the pots.

Some of these steps may sound anal, but debugging a veroboard is the real pain in the ass!
roseblood11
Tube Twister

Have thanks: 310 times

Re: Newbie Here (Apologies) Any Overdrive/Fixed Wah Schemati

Postby roseblood11 » 05 Sep 2018, 08:08

A great fixed wah, and a good first built:
https://www.sabrotone.com/?p=310

This is a clone with additional switching options, maybe you can figure out, how they work:
https://youtu.be/lhNFPsbv2Lk
roseblood11
Tube Twister

Have thanks: 310 times

Return to Freestomp Café!