a transparent Tremolo ?

Anything non-technical you want to talk about, talk it over and have beer ...

a transparent Tremolo ?

Postby heyveno » 14 Feb 2019, 15:30

Hi,

A friend want i make for him a transparent tremolo, he love the Strymon Flint, but i don't find a schematic or layout of this, and he doesn't care about reverb.

He got a Carl martin V2 surf trem, but he said it's alterate too much the guitar sound.

I don't know trem, so have you got any idea of a trem model i can do?
heyveno

Have thanks: 3 times

Re: a transparent Tremolo ?

Postby soulsonic » 15 Mar 2019, 18:40

you could do a tremolo where it's just a buffer with a series resistor and LDR to ground after it to make a basic voltage divider. Rig up something to flash an LED at the LDR and that's about it. My guess is it would be pretty "transparent", since the buffer would would prevent the voltage divider from loading down the guitar's signal. Tone should be unchanged by this.
There was a popular circuit like this using a fan that was making the rounds a few years ago. Don't remember the name.
soulsonic
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 275 times

Re: a transparent Tremolo ?

Postby ppluis0 » 18 Mar 2019, 03:53

Hi Folks,

Below is the schematic of a three knob Voodoo Labs Tremolo that I trace several years ago thath employs a combination of LED and LDR as Soulsonic suggest.
The lowest op amp is the buffer that manage the audio signal and the three remaining ones makes the oscillator and led driver.
Take into account that the two leftmost op amps are connected as quadrature oscillator requiring the use of a dual 100K potentiometer, and the produced output is almost a perfect sine wave.
The 1M pot change the shape of modulating wave from sine to trapezoidal to square as the gain increases. The remaining 50K (B) pot tied to the output jack is the intensity control.
The only adjustment required is by means of the 5K trimpot to achieve 4.2 mA peak to peak with the 1M pot set to minimun gain.
Cheers,
Jose

ppluis0
Cap Cooler

Have thanks: 85 times

Return to Freestomp Café!