Pedalboard power wiring [Article]

Anything non-technical you want to talk about, talk it over and have beer ...

Pedalboard power wiring [Article]

Postby mnesarco » 17 Oct 2019, 20:12

Hi Folks,

I have been maintaining the pedalboards of some friends for a while and I use a special power wiring technique (I call it Open Ground PS). It works pretty well and I have published an article explaining the idea. It wold be great to receive some reviews from your experience on this topic.

This is the link https://marzguitars.com/alternative-power-wiring-for-a-pedalboard/

Thank you Friends.

PS. I am not a native English speaker, If you encounter grammatical errors please tell me, I will do my best to fix that.
mnesarco

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: Pedalboard power wiring [Article]

Postby deltafred » 18 Oct 2019, 00:23

I can't get to the article, this is what I get

This site can’t be reachedmarzguitars.com’s server IP address could not be found.
Try:

Checking the connection
Checking the proxy, firewall and DNS configuration
ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012
deltafred
Opamp Operator

Have thanks: 264 times

Postby mnesarco » 18 Oct 2019, 05:30

deltafred wrote:I can't get to the article, this is what I get

This site can’t be reachedmarzguitars.com’s server IP address could not be found.
Try:

Checking the connection
Checking the proxy, firewall and DNS configuration
ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED

Hi deltafred, the link is working. Maybe some name resolution problem in your network.
mnesarco

Postby plush » 18 Oct 2019, 10:29

Hi

Ground loop eliminating methods described in this article are quite self-evident for a qualified engineer.
For example standardized power/signal circuit designs such as 500 series and/or eurorack do not allow ground loops.
Unfortunately, this is not applicable to pedalboards and PSU with isolated floating outputs is still a go-to solution.

Nevertheless, your guide can be really helpful for an electronics newby (just keep in mind circuit polarity when daisy-chaining) suffering from a ground loop related problems (mainly hum).
Still some digital devices w/o properly filtered power sections can induce noise to the rest of the circuit when daisychained.

Nice job tho.
plush
Resistor Ronker

Have thanks: 78 times

Postby mnesarco » 18 Oct 2019, 14:29

Thank you Plush,

Most people react negatively to this idea, All they argument with a lot of valid theory points, but sometimes, practice beats theory, specially in diy audio electronics :D
I have discussed this on facebook and some "experts" are very rude, but I am sure they have not tried anything that is not in a book.

Some guy did sent me another article that explains Ground Loops very well, good reference of the topic:
http://midimagic.sgc-hosting.com/gndloop.htm?fbclid=IwAR1zlAWLGJw8mIUW739djjKb2ijUcWUXDqK8z6kYhHsKDkc1P1nagPLcjN4

What i am proposing is nothing new (as you pointed out) and i have used it for a long time without any problem.

All the things around analog pedals and pedalboards are 50 years old technologies, and some things have non sense at all like the center negative wiring of pedals... but people are too scary of trying something different.

Someone told me that i will death electrocuted :D :D :D
mnesarco

Postby plush » 18 Oct 2019, 15:07

mnesarco wrote:Most people react negatively to this idea

Oh, they should definitely change their polarity. :D

mnesarco wrote:All they argument with a lot of valid theory points
I have discussed this on facebook and some "experts" are very rude
Someone told me that i will death electrocuted :D :D :D

I rarely find competent people being rude. Also a find facebook to lacking adequate members even in profile communities, mainly due to a circlejerking.
plush
Resistor Ronker

Have thanks: 78 times

Postby mookyj » 03 Nov 2019, 00:47

What you have exchanges solving one problem by creating another. The more pedals you add, the more ohmic ground reference becomes. in a large implementations, the largest loop will be to the first pedal in the chain, and any disturbance instead of being isolated to the pedal in question gets passed down to those down stream in the series. a high gain setup would point this out especially if only one of the pedals had marginal PSN rejection, Your system is not helpful for HF noise rejection form a system perspective. Isolated supply solutions solve hum pick up and minimum loop return for the supply to each pedal. -MJ
mookyj

Have thanks: 7 times

Return to Freestomp Café!