Loads of love for the Stoner/Doom Crowd

Anything non-technical you want to talk about, talk it over and have beer ...

Loads of love for the Stoner/Doom Crowd

Postby Crumbchildz » 04 Jun 2010, 18:11

Just want to say that I love the fact that folks here seems to not only have respect for, but actually like doomy/sludgey/stonery stuff. I was blown away when I was reading the FZ-2 thread and folks were using Electric Wizard as a GOOD example of guitar tone. I've been trying to tell folks that for years! Most gear snobs wouldn't agree unless it sounded like SRV or something like that. Thanks for the Sludge Love! I don't know where my band would be without the Foxx tone machine clones we all use (I call them the Canadian Timbre Wolf).
Loud's a tone, right?
Crumbchildz
Solder Soldier

Have thanks: 3 times

Re: Loads of love for the Stoner/Doom Crowd

Postby soulsonic » 06 Jun 2010, 17:19

I love that stuff... been listening to alot of eyehategod lately.
soulsonic
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 246 times

Postby devastator » 06 Jun 2010, 17:31

ho yes there are a lot of good things.
devastator
Cap Cooler

Have thanks: 24 times

Postby Crumbchildz » 06 Jun 2010, 17:44

I just caught eyehategod at the Maryland Death Fest. It's unbelievable that any of those guys are still alive. They're about as haggered as you can get!
Loud's a tone, right?
Crumbchildz
Solder Soldier

Postby RnFR » 06 Jun 2010, 21:22

oh yeah, love that stuff! just played EW last night at the Entombed show. oh yeah--

BUILD THE TOECUTTER!!! :mrgreen:
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO
RnFR
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 169 times

Postby Crumbchildz » 06 Jun 2010, 22:42

And after listen to that sample, I certainly will, sir! Any idea's on a good source for GT313s?
Loud's a tone, right?
Crumbchildz
Solder Soldier

Postby RnFR » 06 Jun 2010, 23:39

well ebay has em, but other Ge's will work. or if you want, we could work out some sort of trade. i've got plenty of them around, just send me a pm.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO
RnFR
Old Solderhand

Postby SpencerPedals » 09 Jun 2010, 01:20

I downloaded some Electric Wizard after reading this thread and am glad I did. Really good shit. It's what the Deftones would sound like if instead of flowing toward mainstream they would have swam against the current. The 'Cutter can definitely nail the sounds you hear on the Dopethrone album
SpencerPedals
Solder Soldier

Have thanks: 6 times

Postby Crumbchildz » 09 Jun 2010, 17:07

Dopethrone is AMAZING. Check out Sleep's Holy Mountain as well. Absolutely CLASSIC! I've been breadboarding up a Toe Cutter variation using 2N388a's. Well see how it comes out tonight :D ! Thanks RnFR, I'm psyched to hear how my bass rig handles something like the cutter. I've never really experimented with germmies on my pedalboard.
Loud's a tone, right?
Crumbchildz
Solder Soldier

Postby doomrock » 09 Jun 2010, 21:34

Agreed on Sleep. I saw them do the the whole of Holy Mountain and most of Jerusalem two nights on the trot last year. The two best gigs I have ever been to. Not so much into Electric Wizard anymore, and have been let down by them live on multiple occasions when they did actually turn up. Warhorse is more my thing. Saw them supporting EW and they blew them away.

Jamie.
doomrock

Have thanks: 5 times

Postby the3secondrule » 10 Jun 2010, 02:12

For evil stoner tones i'm totally loving my home-brew shin-ei companion fuzz, boosted with an LPB. Its weird, and buzzy, and with a boss OC2 it totally nails heavy-as-fuck Matt Pike tones. Good fun. \m/ \m/ I'll put up some pic's when I get around to it, its a total hack-job :thumbsup

the boss HM2 is actually great for Melvins/Sabbath doom tones as well, IMO

Looking forward to building up my Toecutter though. that thing sounds EVIL

J
"Rock music is mostly about moving big black boxes from one side of town to the other in the back of your car."
the3secondrule
Solder Soldier

Have thanks: 12 times

Postby RnFR » 10 Jun 2010, 02:20

right on guys. just make sure you post back so i can see what you come up with! i'd really dig any some pics or soundclips you guys some up with for my blogspot page as well.

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO
RnFR
Old Solderhand

Postby SpencerPedals » 10 Jun 2010, 02:55

Downloading the Sleep's right now...interested to hear it. Also when you're building the Cutter make sure you use a GT313 for Q3. I used some random house numbered no-leakage GE's in the other positions with good results, but the really fizzy character is apparently in the mojo. In fact, the version sitting next to me that is soon to finally be built has a switch to toggle a normal US made GE for Q3 to the GT313 when I want fizz. If you don't believe in mojo, test it out on the breadboard (don't forget pinouts will be different) and turn the gain way down. It's most evident there. Also I tried a Muff tonestack with boosted mids and then with boosted lows - it loses all character. Try it on breadboard if that's your thing, but the rawness of this one is something that's, in my opinion, best with no tone control. The other two knobs will dial in plenty of other good noises.
SpencerPedals
Solder Soldier

Have thanks: 6 times

Postby devastator » 10 Jun 2010, 13:12

about Sleep, there's also "high on fire" . That's the guitarist who started this band . But it's not really the same thing, more agressive and "heavy" .
devastator
Cap Cooler

Have thanks: 24 times

Postby Crumbchildz » 10 Jun 2010, 13:43

Definitely check out High on Fire! Matt Pike (the fine gent who played/plays guitar in Sleep and High on Fire) is a ridiculous guitarist and I'm pretty sure he doesn't own any shirts, or at least none with sleeves. Check out live videos of them and watch his hands. Dude can strum once and somehow his left hand just keeps going and going. Turk off of Death is this Communion is a brootal track! And thanks for the tips on the Toe Cutter. I have one up on the breadboard and I'm getting some pretty wild results. After some digging, it turn out I had a few GT313's in a transistor grab bag I picked up from the MIT Gear Swap thing they have every year. :D
Loud's a tone, right?
Crumbchildz
Solder Soldier

Postby candidate » 11 Jun 2010, 08:43

melvins
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3A5MkFMqFc

sunnO)))))) sometimes. Don't forget asbestos death.
candidate

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby HEAD » 11 Jun 2010, 21:49

Hi,

it might be just that point, that everybody who likes heavy fuzz and good a portion of show off playing (not the shredding stuff) nearly must love those kind of music. There are so many good sounds, heavy riffs and licks - awesome! Another thing I know for pretty sure that some Members of god-like Stoner band are busy here too.;)
For my personal taste there are three fuzz designs that I realy love for heavy stoner stuff: 1.) Uinvox Super Fuzz - just give you that Fu Manchu sound and even close to the EW sound if played into a clean amp. 2.) the ROG 22/7 don't know of which band it reminds me but I don't care I just like it 3.) I have to admit it, but I like the Meathead into my JCM800 Hybrid - gives you just that FF Fu Manchu sound.

Cheers
Helge
HEAD
Resistor Ronker

Have thanks: 22 times

Postby menlow » 12 Jun 2010, 03:13

Crumbchildz wrote:Just want to say that I love the fact that folks here seems to not only have respect for, but actually like doomy/sludgey/stonery stuff.

Amen brother. I was a latecomer to the stoner scene (I got into it around 2000) but I totally dug it (and still dig it). I don't keep a downtuned guitar around anymore, but maybe I should drop the SG back down to C...
menlow

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby RnFR » 12 Jun 2010, 08:02

SpencerPedals wrote:Downloading the Sleep's right now...interested to hear it. Also when you're building the Cutter make sure you use a GT313 for Q3. I used some random house numbered no-leakage GE's in the other positions with good results, but the really fizzy character is apparently in the mojo. In fact, the version sitting next to me that is soon to finally be built has a switch to toggle a normal US made GE for Q3 to the GT313 when I want fizz. If you don't believe in mojo, test it out on the breadboard (don't forget pinouts will be different) and turn the gain way down. It's most evident there. Also I tried a Muff tonestack with boosted mids and then with boosted lows - it loses all character. Try it on breadboard if that's your thing, but the rawness of this one is something that's, in my opinion, best with no tone control. The other two knobs will dial in plenty of other good noises.

yup, i've been putting a higher gain GT308 in Q1 with good results. i agree about the tc as well. it's so thick that no lpf is really needed, and the bias knob can give you that extra bite if you want. mid scooping is totally counterproductive here, not that kind of metal, my friends. also, don't forget to put a small value resistor in line with the bias pot so that it doesn't turn transistor all the way off when it's over to one side.

HOF is great, too. Pike is a beast not to be f'd with. i see them almost every time they come through, and have mixed them as well. last time i saw them, i did sound for a friends band that opened and we partied with those guys. nice bunch of dudes!

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO
RnFR
Old Solderhand

Postby rocko1369 » 12 Jun 2010, 14:20

the boss HM2 is actually great for Melvins/Sabbath doom tones as well, IMO

I agree, I've used mine for 20+ years with a '73 Rick 4001 with amazing results.
Tried many dirt devices over the years but always come back to my HM-2.
FYI, I used it for slow doomy dirge music way back in '84...everyone wondered how my bass sounded like a gee-tar!rocko.
rocko1369

Have thanks: 0 time

Next

Return to Freestomp Café!