Loads of love for the Stoner/Doom Crowd

Anything non-technical you want to talk about, talk it over and have beer ...

Re: Loads of love for the Stoner/Doom Crowd

Postby SpencerPedals » 02 Aug 2011, 00:58

Liking the Loading Data stuff, too. Very cool suggestion.
SpencerPedals
Solder Soldier

Have thanks: 6 times

Postby grishnakh » 02 Aug 2011, 01:14

greenskull wrote:I'm an old timer and out of touch, but what the hell is "funeral doom"?

Well, the defining characteristics are that it is extremely slow, the vocals are sort of death metalish or sound like chanting, and often they use double kick drums. Apparently it sounds like a funeral dirge, although I can't say I've heard something like that at any funeral I've ever been to! I generally just say either slow or fast doom, but some people have a great time categorising bands into ever narrower sub genres.
grishnakh

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby greenskull » 02 Aug 2011, 01:27

Thanks for explaining, Grishnakh. I'll have to check it out. That is a funny sub-genre name.... funerals are usually gloomy, but not doomy.
Now I'm curious to know about the other Doom/Stoner sub-genre names!
fuck smooth tone, fuck eric johnson - Seiche
greenskull
Resistor Ronker

Have thanks: 9 times

Postby Crumbchildz » 02 Aug 2011, 01:34

RnFR wrote:
edit- here you go!

http://sound.westhost.com/project103.htm

DUDE! You rule. Expect now I'm gonna have to build one of these into every pedal on my board and in front of each amp. Thanks for adding to my stupidly long list of "SHIT TO BUILD TO HIDE HOW MUCH I SUCK AT BASS" :twisted:
Loud's a tone, right?
Crumbchildz
Solder Soldier

Have thanks: 3 times

Postby theblackman » 04 Aug 2011, 09:49

big stoner/doom fan here..

some faves

isis, cult of luna, melvins, kyuss, sleep

any preferred pedals for playing this stuff guys??

my black (burny) sg deluxe on neck pickup + octane 3 through cranked bassman ftw :-))))
“Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean
theblackman
Solder Soldier

Postby Crumbchildz » 04 Aug 2011, 14:12

Octave fuzzes into dimed amps seems to be a common link, at least with the guys here. Tone Machine into a Model T or a Superfuzz into a Green. :twisted:
Loud's a tone, right?
Crumbchildz
Solder Soldier

Postby bigmufffuzzwizz » 05 Aug 2011, 17:34

Another thing about Eagle Twin, those guys built those insane guitar cabs he uses! He uses a sick hexagon/honeybee steel grill. They look super solid.

RnFR wrote:well, it sure helps to make sure your amps are in phase with each other. I tell these guys that shit all the time. everybody thinks that 2 amps are better than one, but if they aren't in phase, it won't sound right out front.

Yes you are very right. 2 amps not in phase will ruin your bass. And bring up the issue of noise and ground hum. The trick to curing that is plugging both amps in on the same socket. Same with pedals in my experience. Amp and pedals power all on one surge protector gave me a completely silent amp. I'll have to read that link you posted, seems like its on the path to what that dude built.

[quote="theblackman"]
any preferred pedals for playing this stuff guys??
my black (burny) sg deluxe on neck pickup + octane 3 through cranked bassman ftw :-))))[/quote

All of crumbchildz suggestions will you get you a sick doom sound. You honestly don't need the insane power amp (Sunn, Orange, Laney etc.) but they definitely help and will give you a huge fat tone to start with. Big muffs are signature doom pedal as well as the Rat. Catalinbred SFT is a great stoner/doom sounding fuzz/overdrive for bass or guitar. Zvex Wolly Mammoth would get you there pretty fast. Shin Ei FY-2 is a sick sounding fuzz which reminds me of Dopethrone except I know he used a Boss Hyper Fuzz w/ a Crate Full Stack. The guy from YOB had a black Ross Distortion and a Suhr Riot on his board when I saw them last year. My buddy and I both use a modified DS-1 to give some variation in sound from the Big Muff. I've played a blackface bassman and that thing cranked sounded like a doom pedal by itself! I couldn't believe the how nasty and saggy it sounded (it was plugged into a rare Sunn cab with alnico's which is probably part of it). Also check out the Overlord pedal! I moved from my SG to Japanese Copy Les Pauls. They are usually in the $100-$500 range for a 70's one. Beefed up my tone a whole bunch. I've been using a Greyface Concert Lead and Earth 440 Producer Bass Series recently rather than my Model T.

Here's my band for anyone interested: http://www.myspace.com/voodoomerchant (we just recorded a new demo yesterday which should be up soon)
My buddy's band, local doom/pysch: http://www.myspace.com/ofthehorizon
Magic Pedals Home of The Shrine Fuzz!
bigmufffuzzwizz
Breadboard Brother

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby davidgiandiletti » 06 Aug 2011, 19:01

bigmufffuzzwizz wrote: I wish Electric Wizard would tour the US... :D

They are playing Maryland Death Fest next year so maybe they will do a full US tour.
davidgiandiletti

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby RnFR » 06 Aug 2011, 19:14

Crumbchildz wrote:
RnFR wrote:
edit- here you go!

http://sound.westhost.com/project103.htm

DUDE! You rule. Expect now I'm gonna have to build one of these into every pedal on my board and in front of each amp. Thanks for adding to my stupidly long list of "SHIT TO BUILD TO HIDE HOW MUCH I SUCK AT BASS" :twisted:

nah, just after a split to one of your amps. I would just go through the schematics of your pedals and make sure they are in phase. if not, maybe put a little single transistor phase flipper after them like mictester posted. you could just mod it into the pedal. this of course only if you have some pedals going to one amp and not the other. if they are all going to both amps, that phase adjuster thing on one of the amps might help. have fun screwing with phasing, just don't drive yourself nuts, and make sure you are standing at least 15 or so feet back from your amp so you can hear the full development of the LF waves!
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO
RnFR
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 170 times

Postby BraindeadAudio » 09 Aug 2011, 18:22

My current set up for my Doom Project called "Lord Humungous" 1978 Gibson SG custom into a 1975 Ampeg V4 into an oversized Ampeg 4x12 with Hellatone 60s and a 2x12 with 2 EV12Ls, Custom RAT pedal I designed and a modded crybaby wah.

Other amps are a HIWATT and a Coral Californian with the matching 6x12

BraindeadAudio

Postby RnFR » 10 Aug 2011, 08:47

Lord Humongous- awesome. :thumbsup
I really like oversized cabs. I got onto them when I picked up a bigass fender bandmaster style 2x12 on the cheap. probably the biggest 2x12 ever made! I always liked how it sounds, so when it was time to get a new cab, I had the guys at Emperor make up an oversized 4x12 for me. the speakers are offset, with higher power Warehouse celestion lead copies on the bottom and v30 copies on the top. I guess warehouse bought the old celestion stock parts before they moved to china. I really dig the extra bit of cabinet reverberation you get from a larger size. I'm not positive, but I think it might mellow the sound some. I ended up using it with my Traynor YBA-3. it was quite a killer combo!

on another subject, is anyone going to the Party .San Open Air festival in Germany this weekend? I'm flying out with Nachtmystium for their show Saturday. it's going to be Black Metal Hell!
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO
RnFR
Old Solderhand

Postby Crumbchildz » 10 Aug 2011, 14:00

RnFR wrote:on another subject, is anyone going to the Party .San Open Air festival in Germany this weekend? I'm flying out with Nachtmystium for their show Saturday. it's going to be Black Metal Hell!

I fuckin wish! Off topic, my girl is out in Chicago right now, know of any good shows? Also, I think my band is finalizing a gig with Indian in September in Boston. Do you travel with them, too?
Loud's a tone, right?
Crumbchildz
Solder Soldier

Postby RnFR » 10 Aug 2011, 17:13

well, Pentagram is playing next weekend!
and yeah, I hope to be along with them in September. see you there, bro!

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO
RnFR
Old Solderhand

Postby blkmagik98 » 06 Sep 2011, 19:13

BraindeadAudio wrote:Also, if you wanna hear a killer doom band, check out BONGRIPPER. Satan Worshipping Doom is a killer album.

This.

I saw Electric Wizard here in Holland on October 30th, 2010 and they were good, although it is evident that Liz Buckingham is only there to look at. Justin yelled at her a couple of times because she was pretty sloppy. I saw Down, Clutch, and Goatsnake on consecutive nights here (love Greg Anderson's tone!), and of course there is the almighty Roadburn Festival every year in Tilburg.

Michael
blkmagik98

Postby freq67 » 07 Sep 2011, 10:22

I've been digging on Dozer a lot lately not to mention the Fu as well.
freq67
Solder Soldier

Have thanks: 8 times

Postby RnFR » 07 Sep 2011, 10:53

did you like Clutch? I caught them a couple times- once opening for Fu Manchu, and unfortunately i kind of thought them to be quite a letdown. I guess I was expecting much more from what I have heard of their records.

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO
RnFR
Old Solderhand

Postby Crumbchildz » 08 Sep 2011, 13:33

Every time I've seen Clutch, the crowd has ruined it for me. Loads of meat-head jocks looking to "mosh", which apparently means find a kid smaller than you and slam into their back. I dig what you're saying about the let down, most of their albums are killer (Robot Hive and Blast Tyrant are classics).
Loud's a tone, right?
Crumbchildz
Solder Soldier

Postby RnFR » 08 Sep 2011, 21:11

yeah, I hear ya. they seem to draw that kind of tough guy/douchebag.

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO
RnFR
Old Solderhand

Postby RnFR » 09 Sep 2011, 00:33

alright, i just have to give a link to these guys-

http://www.myspace.com/mycolddeadhand

besides being my good buds, Keith was the lead singer in the seminal sludge band Wickerman, and Ron Holzner was of course in Trouble for years. fucking fantastic stuff. it's what happens when doom guys get older- and deeper!

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO
RnFR
Old Solderhand

Postby t0thedrums » 14 Oct 2011, 04:50

Crumbchildz wrote:
RnFR wrote:well, it sure helps to make sure your amps are in phase with each other. I tell these guys that shit all the time. everybody thinks that 2 amps are better than one, but if they aren't in phase, it won't sound right out front.

Question: Aside from doing a simple phase flip using an opamp (like the ROG splitter-blend), is there a way to make a continuously variable phase control? I've never seen anything like that (usually it's either 0 or 180), but I always thought it would be really useful in the studio. Perhaps a phaser like circuit with a manual sweep?

Just read through the thread, I'm in a couple bands around the Boston area too and am definitely into the stoner/doom thing, along with collecting and tinkering with far too many amps and pedals.

The Little Labs IBP http://www.littlelabs.com/ibp.html, continuously variable from 0-180 degrees. It consists of a bunch of all-pass filters.
t0thedrums

PreviousNext

Return to Freestomp Café!