Loads of love for the Stoner/Doom Crowd

Anything non-technical you want to talk about, talk it over and have beer ...

Re: Loads of love for the Stoner/Doom Crowd

Postby t0thedrums » 14 Oct 2011, 06:59

As far as tone goes, for guitar I've had good results with a 2nd generation Ampeg V4 with my octavia clone with everything on 11 though a full stack. This is what I used to record a band a couple months ago. Sunn O))) Coliseum Bass (silver) with guitar through a full stack with volume on 8 is a joke, it will knock you down with low end and powerful overdrive. My favorite amps for guitar though are my beloved Earth Sound Research Original 2000 amps. I've got four of them (2 broken). IMO they're the best sounding guitar amp that you can play straight through and get LOUD fuzz, ie Earthride, Dopesmoker, Goatsnake, etc. For bass, my 1973 Peavey Super Festival F800B still is louder than any Coliseum or SVT I've seen. It has an "overdrive" pot that is straight fuzz turned up.
t0thedrums

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby grishnakh » 25 Oct 2011, 02:05

Last weekend was good and heavy here in Melbourne, with Doomsday festival on Saturday (which I missed to see Alcest, who were great BTW), and an awesome sideshow on Sunday. Headlining was Cough, with locals like Whitehorse, Dead, VAN and Agonhymn playing too.

Good times all round, with lots of Big Muff and Rat use!
grishnakh

Postby JakeAC5253 » 25 Oct 2011, 04:54

Hell yes. If you know me then you know that the only thing that comes close to my love of good thrash metal tone is a good doom metal tone. I have played with the Muff circuit for quite some time to satisfy different visions of an end tone, and this is an example of one that I am toying with rather recently for doom metal tones. The playing is not very doomy though I know, wasn't intended to be :?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8838613/Doom%20 ... NBC%29.mp3

The clip is recorded guitar to pedal DI straight into my DAW with a Greenback impulse on it, no real amp at all. This was some time ago, and I can't for the life of me remember if I boosted the muff with an 808 before it, but that's something that I like to do as well, so it's a possibility. I've noticed that some places I listen to this clip I don't get the real effect of the pedal, but other places (like my car stereo) I can hear the full sub bass nut kicking power that was intended! I think it needs more gain though.
JakeAC5253
Resistor Ronker

Have thanks: 8 times

Postby moose23 » 28 Oct 2011, 23:06

bigmufffuzzwizz wrote:Another thing about Eagle Twin, those guys built those insane guitar cabs he uses! He uses a sick hexagon/honeybee steel grill. They look super solid.

RnFR wrote:well, it sure helps to make sure your amps are in phase with each other. I tell these guys that shit all the time. everybody thinks that 2 amps are better than one, but if they aren't in phase, it won't sound right out front.

Yes you are very right. 2 amps not in phase will ruin your bass. And bring up the issue of noise and ground hum. The trick to curing that is plugging both amps in on the same socket. Same with pedals in my experience. Amp and pedals power all on one surge protector gave me a completely silent amp. I'll have to read that link you posted, seems like its on the path to what that dude built.

theblackman wrote:any preferred pedals for playing this stuff guys??
my black (burny) sg deluxe on neck pickup + octane 3 through cranked bassman ftw :-))))[/quote

All of crumbchildz suggestions will you get you a sick doom sound. You honestly don't need the insane power amp (Sunn, Orange, Laney etc.) but they definitely help and will give you a huge fat tone to start with. Big muffs are signature doom pedal as well as the Rat. Catalinbred SFT is a great stoner/doom sounding fuzz/overdrive for bass or guitar. Zvex Wolly Mammoth would get you there pretty fast. Shin Ei FY-2 is a sick sounding fuzz which reminds me of Dopethrone except I know he used a Boss Hyper Fuzz w/ a Crate Full Stack. The guy from YOB had a black Ross Distortion and a Suhr Riot on his board when I saw them last year. My buddy and I both use a modified DS-1 to give some variation in sound from the Big Muff. I've played a blackface bassman and that thing cranked sounded like a doom pedal by itself! I couldn't believe the how nasty and saggy it sounded (it was plugged into a rare Sunn cab with alnico's which is probably part of it). Also check out the Overlord pedal! I moved from my SG to Japanese Copy Les Pauls. They are usually in the $100-$500 range for a 70's one. Beefed up my tone a whole bunch. I've been using a Greyface Concert Lead and Earth 440 Producer Bass Series recently rather than my Model T.

Here's my band for anyone interested: http://www.myspace.com/voodoomerchant (we just recorded a new demo yesterday which should be up soon)
My buddy's band, local doom/pysch: http://www.myspace.com/ofthehorizon

Dopethrone is the Hyper Fuzz into a Sound City head, that Crate stack was from a US tour with Unearthly Trance afaik.
moose23

Have thanks: 3 times

Postby RnFR » 11 Nov 2011, 07:14

alright guys- i have a black russian muff that needs the full on sludge treatment. anyone have any mod suggestions? I've got some ideas- increase clipping caps, gain, etc, but I just want to know if anyone has any tips that worked for them. I'd prefer not to have to completely rework this thing, and a switch might be nice, as it's for a buddy who needs it soon. I'll probably start TBing this thing, then check back.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO
RnFR
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 170 times

Postby JakeAC5253 » 12 Nov 2011, 00:38

RnFR wrote:alright guys- i have a black russian muff that needs the full on sludge treatment. anyone have any mod suggestions? I've got some ideas- increase clipping caps, gain, etc, but I just want to know if anyone has any tips that worked for them. I'd prefer not to have to completely rework this thing, and a switch might be nice, as it's for a buddy who needs it soon. I'll probably start TBing this thing, then check back.

Easy mods for sludge include jumpering or bypassing the emitter resistors on the clipping stages, increasing the collector resistors or both. Decrease the clipping caps for more bassiness and scooped sound, and Si/LEDs as clippers makes a great switchable mod.
JakeAC5253
Resistor Ronker

Postby grishnakh » 12 Nov 2011, 01:43

In my no tone control muff, I used a 1N34A for some cool asymmetrical clipping. The only con is that it cuts some of the output, so I put MPSA13's in to get a bit more output. I would probably just use one for Q4 in a muff with a tonestack.
grishnakh

Postby bodyisajerk » 04 Dec 2011, 06:44

Radness just found a black Russian big muff at goodwill.....also give cough "ritual abuse" abuse a listen if you are into burning witch and things
bodyisajerk

Postby RnFR » 04 Dec 2011, 09:22

my black muff mods that I ended up with are listed here-
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15249#p171511
I'll try and get a schematic posted soon. my buddy ended up rocking it at the show and loved it. of course I want to keep working on it. :wink: it's the first muff I've worked on, and has really inspired me to do some more muff tweaking. I've got some ideas I'm looking forward to trying out.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO
RnFR
Old Solderhand

Postby JakeAC5253 » 05 Dec 2011, 02:24

RnFR wrote:my black muff mods that I ended up with are listed here-
http://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic ... 49#p171511
I'll try and get a schematic posted soon. my buddy ended up rocking it at the show and loved it. of course I want to keep working on it. :wink: it's the first muff I've worked on, and has really inspired me to do some more muff tweaking. I've got some ideas I'm looking forward to trying out.

Now that's what I'm talking about. Great doom tone. For my own Muff for doom I actually ended up with a very similar bypassing arrangement on the clipping stages, yours having a little more gain per stage than mine. I used 1k/2.2µF on the emitters, to your 120Ω 22µF. Almost an exact one decade shift. Either that's one hell of a coincidence, or we both have very good taste in circuit engineering :D
JakeAC5253
Resistor Ronker

Postby CHEEZOR » 05 Dec 2011, 04:12

Speaking of Stoner rock, did anyone get to see Kyuss Lives! on tour? I saw them a couple weekends ago in San Francisco. They rocked the house. I bought a couple of shirts to support them. Too bad I found out the next day that their bass player (Nick Oliveri) is a total douche-bag who beats his girlfriends... :slap:
CHEEZOR
Diode Debunker

Have thanks: 88 times

Postby bigmufffuzzwizz » 11 Dec 2011, 02:07

CHEEZOR wrote:Speaking of Stoner rock, did anyone get to see Kyuss Lives! on tour? I saw them a couple weekends ago in San Francisco. They rocked the house. I bought a couple of shirts to support them. Too bad I found out the next day that their bass player (Nick Oliveri) is a total douche-bag who beats his girlfriends... :slap:

Hell yea! My buddy's band opened up for them at the Wiltern in Los Angeles. It was quite an epic show, I was running around backstage talking to everyone trying to promote my pedals! :D
Kyuss played 2 1/2 hours including Scott Reeder actually playing 5 songs with them and Mario Lalli and his son came out for some Across the River! They were all nice dudes even though what you hear about Nick O is true :|

Did any of you catch Boris this time around? I was at the front of the stage in front of Wata, it was amazing!! She had a crazy pedalboard with a bunch of stuff I couldn't recognize. And her tone is insane!
Magic Pedals Home of The Shrine Fuzz!
bigmufffuzzwizz
Breadboard Brother

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby rocko1369 » 11 Dec 2011, 22:48

bigmufffuzzwizz wrote:Did any of you catch Boris this time around? I was at the front of the stage in front of Wata, it was amazing!! She had a crazy pedalboard with a bunch of stuff I couldn't recognize. And her tone is insane!

Hell yeah!
Both she and Michio Kurihara kicked ass!
The babe and I have seen them 5 times now and this was up there with the first time we traveled to Ohio to see them.
rocko1369

Postby CHEEZOR » 12 Dec 2011, 05:30

Never heard of them. I just checked out a song on youtube though. Too bad they didn't play the SF show. :( I think I have a bootleg of the LA show though...
CHEEZOR
Diode Debunker

Have thanks: 88 times

Postby JakeAC5253 » 20 Dec 2011, 05:55

THIS is why I love the BMP. No circuit that I have tried has ever come close to having the level of warmth, saturation, and sheer size of the Muff.

Check it out. This is just something that I threw together really quick to test it out for doom metal, wasn't recorded to a click so the performance is washy at points. Guitar straight in, straight to DAW with a speaker cab impulse and some reverb on the lead track.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8838613/Doom%20 ... 9%3A11.mp3
JakeAC5253
Resistor Ronker

Postby RnFR » 20 Dec 2011, 11:25

nice n heavy! I'd love to see what values you came up with.

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO
RnFR
Old Solderhand

Postby JakeAC5253 » 20 Dec 2011, 19:23

RnFR wrote:nice n heavy! I'd love to see what values you came up with.

This is a mostly stock parts off-the-shelf Muff with some light modding. This is my third modded Muff and all I have done to this one so far was some minor changes to throughput, tone shaping, and biasing... haven't even touched upon coupling caps, clipping caps, or clipping diodes yet... and that's when all of the real fun starts! This one is destined for mod switches galore!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8838613/Apocaly ... er%202.png

Oh, those 470µF power supply caps are mod caps from Smallbear too.
JakeAC5253
Resistor Ronker

Postby grishnakh » 08 Jan 2012, 08:41

bodyisajerk, Cough are really awesome. I saw them when they came over to Oz a few months ago, and they killed it!
grishnakh

Postby AL » 20 Jan 2012, 17:04

Some good friends of mine do some stoner rock type stuff. No vocals. Greg uses a LP through two amps - a 30th Ann. Marshall w/4x12 and an old Sunn Model T through an Orange 4x12". He uses some kind of diy fuzz pedal for the Sunn and a wah. I think these recordings were done with an JCM800 MV 2203 amp.

Hovel

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hovel/190 ... 2405167945
AL
Breadboard Brother

Postby tra » 23 Jan 2012, 00:20

I'm considering doing an implementation of the Big Muff, but replace their tonestack with the tonestack from the Randall RG100.

Stupid idea or awesome?
tra

Have thanks: 2 times

PreviousNext

Return to Freestomp Café!