POLL: What is your preferred PCB design software?

Digital tools for electronic work: software for pcb design, schematic drawing, circuit simulation, parts inventory tools, ...

What is your preferred PCB design software.

DIYLC
13%
Eagle
31%
Express PCB
6%
Diptrace
10%
PCB123
No votes
Vero-Route
2%
Other (Explain)
38%

Total votes: 52

mijomo
Information

Post by mijomo »

ndlm wrote:
azrael wrote:Eagle's ability to show unconnected wires with airwires is pretty goddamn amazing. I use to get terrible layouts in DIYLC all the time.
I really admire all the people that use DIYLC.. They must have nerves of steel, constantly worrying about connecting components. I draw my schematic, and the program takes care of my connections.

Here are my software explorations: :horsey:
I used Eagle, then switched to Altium. In my opinion, Altium is the best PCB design software in the universe. Downside: a little expensive :mrgreen:
Tried Kicad - controls were too user-unfriendly, tried Dreamspark, seemed okay, but not too great. Tried Autotrax, looks excellent, but it is a little slow on my laptop.
I finally tried Diptrace - and fell in love with it :)

Are there any guides or videos that Altium may have that would make it easy to get started doing the basic schematic and pcb designs that common effects pedals call for? I haven't used any 'pcb' software as of yet only Adobe Illustrator to design the boards.

ndlm
Information

Post by ndlm »

yeah here's their wiki
http://wiki.altium.com/display/ADOH/Tut ... PCB+Design
i think there are tutorials on youtube.
But I must admit, it is a difficult program to master. Give Diptrace a try - everything is easy and logical ;)

Ice-9
Degoop Doctor
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall
Completed builds: Far to many to afford the enclosures for them all. :)

Post by Ice-9 »

ndlm wrote:yeah here's their wiki
But I must admit, it is a difficult program to master. Give Diptrace a try - everything is easy and logical ;)

I have at times used diptrace to design PCB's as I'm quite used to it, then I can import it into Altium to do the rest of what I need it to do. I should really spend some time with Altium and get to learn it more.
It's fairly straight forward, if you want to start it , press start. You can work out the rest of the controls for yourself !

No silicon heaven ? preposterous ! Where would all the calculators go ?

Alois_Ch
Information

Post by Alois_Ch »

I agree, EAGLE is the best software available right now.
Beside the Software, the PCB Tutorials and Videos are great, too.
I've learned so much with this stuff :D

hgamal
Information

Post by hgamal »

other = kicad

azrael
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by azrael »

ndlm wrote:yeah here's their wiki
Definitely takes a lot of practice, and there are still a lot of problems I encounter while using, mostly when changing footprints or parts. It's not very intelligent at updating the PCB haha.

KMG
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by KMG »

other = KiCad
Example 4 layer pcb

JCM800 tube preamp
KiCad
Real

J0K3RX
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by J0K3RX »

I would like to retract my earlier post/comment about "AutoTRAX Design Express 2020".... I use KiCad, Diptrace, Sprint and they are all excellent!

I am posting this to warn others about AutoTRAX Design Express 2020 (DEX)!!! I saw it in late November 2012 and purchased it (MISTAKE!) registered it and it worked for about 6 months until I launched it one day and this woman's voice came blasting over my speakers and said "OH NO!!!" and a message that said "Demo Period Has Expired" wanting me to purchase again. :hmmm: So, I tried to sign in with the "Sign On ID and Password" that they sent to me... Guess what, yup, no longer valid.. shocker huh.. :scratch: So then I emailed them and sent them messages online and got no response, at all! I don't know about other people but I work hard for my money so, I don't like it when somebody or some company bends me over and gives it to me up the pooper!!! :evil: I have trolled other forums and have seen a lot of complaints about this software, a lot.. It looks impressive with all the features.. And guess what, not all that easy to use as they claim! I am just glad that I could contribute to this company's success with my FREE donation of $49.00 :evil:

For $49 this is the claim:
This is the FULL version and includes free upgrades for 12 months and never expires.
Unlimited pin count, sheets, layers, parts, PCB size - in other words : everything unlimited!
Yeah!? Bullsh!t.. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Check it out, but be warned!
http://www.kov.com/

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

Not cool

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

Not cool indeed.

And 49 dollars is dirt cheap. From a pro users experience I'd consider that almost the fee for a monthly use.
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com

mookyj
Information
Completed builds: Mu-Tron Digital Delay-memory, level display
Moog Taurus II, full midi conversion
Furman Preamp, revoiced, Level display
SPX 90, converted to II memory
Custom designs for OEM
Accutronics brick reverb
FV-1 Prototype

Post by mookyj »

Been doing PCB's since 1974, cad in 1992 with Pads 2000. Mentor Pads VX is my current tool set with either Power Logic, DX designer or Orcad for Schematics.

Ice-9
Degoop Doctor
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall
Completed builds: Far to many to afford the enclosures for them all. :)

Post by Ice-9 »

J0K3RX wrote:I would like to retract my earlier post/comment about "AutoTRAX Design Express 2020".... I use KiCad, Diptrace, Sprint and they are all excellent!

I am posting this to warn others about AutoTRAX Design Express 2020 (DEX)!!! I saw it in late November 2012 and purchased it (MISTAKE!) registered it and it worked for about 6 months until I launched it one day and this woman's voice came blasting over my speakers and said "OH NO!!!" and a message that said "Demo Period Has Expired" wanting me to purchase again. :hmmm: So, I tried to sign in with the "Sign On ID and Password" that they sent to me... Guess what, yup, no longer valid.. shocker huh.. :scratch: So then I emailed them and sent them messages online and got no response, at all! I don't know about other people but I work hard for my money so, I don't like it when somebody or some company bends me over and gives it to me up the pooper!!! :evil: I have trolled other forums and have seen a lot of complaints about this software, a lot.. It looks impressive with all the features.. And guess what, not all that easy to use as they claim! I am just glad that I could contribute to this company's success with my FREE donation of $49.00 :evil:

For $49 this is the claim:
This is the FULL version and includes free upgrades for 12 months and never expires.
Unlimited pin count, sheets, layers, parts, PCB size - in other words : everything unlimited!
Yeah!? Bullsh!t.. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Check it out, but be warned!
http://www.kov.com/
And the website name is now gone. failed.
It's fairly straight forward, if you want to start it , press start. You can work out the rest of the controls for yourself !

No silicon heaven ? preposterous ! Where would all the calculators go ?

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

I've been using Abacom Sprint for about 7 years. I'm very satisfied with it for my needs. I like how easy it is to make new footprints. Before that, I had used Eagle for a long time, but Sprint is a bit faster for me, and much more affordable. You'd need to buy the top level version of Eagle to beat Sprint's abilities. (maybe that has changed, I'm saying based on the time I bought Sprint, I know someone else owns Eagle now).
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

Manfred
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Manfred »

soulsonic wrote: 31 Oct 2021, 19:59 I've been using Abacom Sprint for about 7 years. I'm very satisfied with it for my needs. I like how easy it is to make new footprints. Before that, I had used Eagle for a long time, but Sprint is a bit faster for me, and much more affordable. You'd need to buy the top level version of Eagle to beat Sprint's abilities. (maybe that has changed, I'm saying based on the time I bought Sprint, I know someone else owns Eagle now).
I have also been using Sprint Layout for many years.
I like this software because you can insert a scalable template for the components and the solder side.
Also the tracking function for the connections is a great feature.
It is easy to use and quick to learn.
The price performance ratio is very good in my opinion,
and with the low price of 49,90 Euro you don't have to think about buying it.
There are some PCB manufacturers that accept Sprint layout files.

mwelch55
Information
my favorite amplifier: Modded Marshall
Completed builds: Pedals:
BSIAB2, Tube Screamer Clone, Timmy Clone, Plexi-Drive Clone, Dr Boogie, Rangemaster, GTFO, MicroAmp, Silicon Fuzz Face, Germanium Fuzz Face, Big Muff Pi, Rat

Amps:
Single-Ended Marshall Voiced using 6V6,6L6,EL34,5881,6550, or KT88

Post by mwelch55 »

I vote for Sprint. I am using version 6.0 and it is very easy to use. The price was reasonable too.

I also use DIYLC for schematics.

ppluis0
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by ppluis0 »

When you see that I still draw boards using Protel 99, you will know how old I am :lol:

The truth is that I am very reluctant to change this program and have to go through the entire learning curve all over again.

cheers,
Jose

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

Abacom Sprint Layout 6.0 - very long time user - quick to learn, easy to use PLUS, you can import a different bitmap image to both board sides - makes tracing a breeze ;-)
It can also export gerber and drill files for sending off to your favourite fabricator !
be kind to all animals - especially human beings

acatlow
Information

Post by acatlow »

I'm on the Altium bandwagon, I tried kicad but it is hard to navigate, tried eagle and felt suicidal

diylc is great for layouts though, to add your pcb image into it etc
Alex Catlow
Sirius Amplification
Melbourne, Australia

Lani
Solder Soldier
Information
my favorite amplifier: Bassman 5f6a
Completed builds: .....ummmm yeah. Too many to list.....

Post by Lani »

I'm surprised no one here uses EasyEDA. I've been using it for 4 years now and they have been updating and adding new features all the time. It's cloud based for the free version (hmmmm I wonder why) but is very easy to use and there PCB fab prices can't be beat. 10 PCB's, any color up to 100mm x 100mm for $4. Check 'em out.

Bolsyo
Information

Post by Bolsyo »

I'm using DIYLC for vero, tagboard and p2p layouts. I use EasyEDA for pcbs, and love that it's free, easy to use and web based.