Schematic software for Mac

Digital tools for electronic work: software for pcb design, schematic drawing, circuit simulation, parts inventory tools, ...
DavidRavenMoon
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Vox AC30 TB, Marshall JCM800.

Post by DavidRavenMoon »

KHELSTROM wrote:Ive downloaded it but I can't get it to install. I think it might be something with the X11 server. Please help
Do you have X11 installed? I don't think it gets installed by default, but you can install it from the OS X installer. The new version of Eagle doesn't need X11.

So for I have Osmond Quartz, Eagle, The DIY Layout Creator beta and DesignWorks, as well as MacSpice. Now I just have to learn how to use them... or at least one of them!
"You give a better performance if you skip the eyes" - Raymond Scott
--
Coney Island Guitars

jb351
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor
Completed builds: lots

Post by jb351 »

I came across this program a couple of weeks ago. Seems interesting and promising, it does breadboard, pcbs and schematics. I can't vouch for the Mac version as I'm a Linux user but it is available
for Mac OS X, Windows and 32 and 64 bit Linux. There is some stompbox specific parts missing from the library but they can be created.

http://fritzing.org/

Ice-9
Degoop Doctor
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall
Completed builds: Far to many to afford the enclosures for them all. :)

Post by Ice-9 »

DIPTRACE is available for free for the Mac, schematic, PCB, autoroute and 3D view. I've been using the PC version for a couple of years now and can't fault it. Easy learning curve as wellcoz it's so simple to use.
It's fairly straight forward, if you want to start it , press start. You can work out the rest of the controls for yourself !

No silicon heaven ? preposterous ! Where would all the calculators go ?

earthtonesaudio
Transistor Tuner
Information
Completed builds: Metal Simplex, Fuzz Factory, two Fab Echos-modded, Noisy Cricket, Earth & Space Wah, TS-7-modded, passive xover/splitter box, opamp fuzz

Post by earthtonesaudio »

Been using the free version of Eagle on OSX for a while now. I'm a little hesitant to learn anything else since Eagle's learning curve was so steep. For quick/dirty simulations I use www.falstad.com/circuit or /afilter ...these are quite excellent, though not as fully functional as Spice.

Does Diptrace export Gerber files?
rocklander wrote:hairsplitting and semantics aren't exactly the same thing though.. we may need two contests for that.

Ice-9
Degoop Doctor
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall
Completed builds: Far to many to afford the enclosures for them all. :)

Post by Ice-9 »

earthtonesaudio wrote:Been using the free version of Eagle on OSX for a while now. I'm a little hesitant to learn anything else since Eagle's learning curve was so steep. For quick/dirty simulations I use http://www.falstad.com/circuit or /afilter ...these are quite excellent, though not as fully functional as Spice.

Does Diptrace export Gerber files?
Yeah diptrace exports gerbers, even the free version. I have just send off the gerbers for a board i'm doing so as soon as they arrive I will post a picture of the results.
It's fairly straight forward, if you want to start it , press start. You can work out the rest of the controls for yourself !

No silicon heaven ? preposterous ! Where would all the calculators go ?

Swamp
Information

Post by Swamp »

I use Eagle Cad 6 on my mac since July 2012. Works fine. Great software, the best improvement I made last 2 years.

If need any help PM.

kaludjerko
Information

Post by kaludjerko »

"CircuitLab", www.circuitlab.com
Online tool for making schematics and basic simulation of circuit behavior.
Although is not specifically for Mac it will run on it in the browser. I don't have any experience with circuit software and had it running in few minutes.
I don't have any idea how it performs with complicated circuits with lots of components...

earthtonesaudio
Transistor Tuner
Information
Completed builds: Metal Simplex, Fuzz Factory, two Fab Echos-modded, Noisy Cricket, Earth & Space Wah, TS-7-modded, passive xover/splitter box, opamp fuzz

Post by earthtonesaudio »

+1 kaludjerko, I have started using CircuitLab on my Chromebook recently. It has an offline mode too which is nice.
rocklander wrote:hairsplitting and semantics aren't exactly the same thing though.. we may need two contests for that.

mijomo
Information

Post by mijomo »

Sorry for the bump of such an old thread.

I was wondering if there has been any new developments in Schematic or PCB creation software for MAC over the past few years?
If there is anything out there that was not mentioned before I would love to hear about it.

Thanks in advance! Cheers!

astrobass
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by astrobass »

Yeah, just use Eagle. There's a Mac version and it works well. There's a learning curve, but it's worthwhile to figure out. It can do a bunch of useful things to help you out that DIYLC doesn't do, particularly if you're doing PCB design.

trainwreq
Information

Post by trainwreq »

chicago_mike
Tube Twister
Information

Post by chicago_mike »

Anybody had permission issues with Eagle on mac?
Skyline FX 2013