[EAGLE] A (good?) starting point

Digital tools for electronic work: software for pcb design, schematic drawing, circuit simulation, parts inventory tools, ...
DahakaNishoba
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by DahakaNishoba »

Ok....as I would like to start my new site really soon (my goal is providing KITS for a small number of effects and stuff) i decided that i need to learn everything about eagle.....especially if i need to let my layouts be produced in (very small) series........
i started using pcbwizard and schematicwizard but i need something solid and a platform that allows me to export for production
So i decided to start with Eagle...as even if difficult to learn (?) at least once I get it to work more than half of my problems will be solved (i hope)

Downloaded all the Gaussmarkov libraries and a schematic of the dod overdrive from his site to start with...and tried to route a pcb layout manually this afternoon

once done i still have some problems

- How to set the global width for traces and pads AFTER routing everything ? (i just routed it with the very small default connections) 0.024 is fine or still need more ?
- If i need pads to connect the pots (or something else) i need to do VIAS and then connecting with the red wire ?
- i actually not used jumpers on my layout....but how to add them directly on the pcb page ? i tried but an error relates to the schematic window
The way electronics work in a stompbox is like the way pixels move in a videogame
it's Magic, in Technology

DahakaNishoba
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by DahakaNishoba »

Well today i have done even the layout for another drive....maybe it's too little and too crowded...(doing both an A and B enclosure size layout maybe) but this time I started with the route as 0.024 and I'm just goin to do the ground plane-pour (?)
I still have to kno how to connect pots correctly....I create vias on the board and then connect the pots with the red "top" wire...when everything is connected on the green pad a small yellow X appears
Is it fine ?
And still dunno how to place jumpers without having to touch the schematic....is the same "via-red wire-via" thing ??
The way electronics work in a stompbox is like the way pixels move in a videogame

gkoerselman
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by gkoerselman »

For me, this was a great help: http://alternatezone.com/electronics/fi ... alRevA.pdf

I've been doing PCB layouts for about a year and a half now, quite intensely, and I notice that experience makes such an enormous difference. Good luck!

DahakaNishoba
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by DahakaNishoba »

gkoerselman wrote:For me, this was a great help: http://alternatezone.com/electronics/fi ... alRevA.pdf

I've been doing PCB layouts for about a year and a half now, quite intensely, and I notice that experience makes such an enormous difference. Good luck!
Really thank you....even if it has not really helped me to solve my problems that was indeed an interesting reading....especially for terms and technical aspects of this world....thank you again

There's still someting I got from that PDF that I can't understand...is obvious that vias and pads are totally different things...but I still can't understand how to wire pots and place pads properly...maybe I'll post my board file later

gkoerselman
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by gkoerselman »

- How to set the global width for traces and pads AFTER routing everything ? (i just routed it with the very small default connections) 0.024 is fine or still need more ?

To increase the size of the pads, use the DRC (Design Rule Check). Go to the 'restricting' tab, I set pads bottom to 25mil myself. I don't know how to increase the trace size after tracing. I set the trace width to 0.04 before routing.

Here is what I found on gaussmarkov's site:
if you type “ch width” into the command line, you will get a choice of widths for the traces. after that if you click on a trace it will change to that width and all subsequent traces will have that width.

also, when you are running traces, you can see the current width displayed in the toolbar. you can change the width in that box.
I tried this with the group select and then right click on a trace and select Change: group and this changed then the size of all traces :D .

- If i need pads to connect the pots (or something else) i need to do VIAS and then connecting with the red wire ?

In the schematic I replace each pot with 3 pads (gm-supply library, under sub 'pad', one time 'pad square and two times 'pado round'). The pads I then name something like G1 (square pad), G2 and G3 for knowing what pot to connect to.

- i actually not used jumpers on my layout....but how to add them directly on the pcb page ? i tried but an error relates to the schematic window

I think you do this by adding two via's on a trace and then connecting them with a trace but changing the trace layer (from 16 bottom) to 1 top (red wire). In the display window pane you can then select not to display this layer so you can do an export without it.

Hope this helps,
Gerrit

DahakaNishoba
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by DahakaNishoba »

hmmhmhm ok actually I saw even in different eagle stomps layouts around th web that the via-redwire-via for the jumper is a common way to solve it....and is obviously self explanatory if u do it for yourself.....but once you have to export/sumbit to producer how to work in the silkscreen side ? just trace a line and a "J1..2..3" sort of text ?

anyway the jumper problem seems to be solved

As for the pot maybe your way is a clever way.....maybe it can even easier to directly create a 3 pad custom component and then place there directly....but then is harder to rename pads or move them imho.......so your (a pad for every pot lug ) way seems to be a very clever choice....i'll look forward to it

anyway I attched the files for the second one i did.....(even used the ground plane....)
is only my second layout so comments or hints are really welcome.....dont mind the crowding and the pad size/holesize....never change it yet

EDIT*
oh forgot to say i Just started another layout...
and forgot to thank you again Gerrit
Attachments
TESTCOT50.rar
Example Pcb layout
(78.76 KiB) Downloaded 111 times

gkoerselman
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by gkoerselman »

I always assumed the silkscreen side would come from the tNames, tPlace and tValue layers... I know this is not what the tonepad PCBs look like but that I guess is because of the libraries used.

For pots I realised my layouts would become smaller if I could avoid grouping pot lug connections together (and as I only produce layouts for myself, I shouldn't mind putting a bit more effort into figuring out which wire goes where [used to hate it when other people did layouts this way though, when I had just started building stuff]).

Looking over your schematic I would advise you to consider using 'gm-pots -> POT' and leave the actual pot out of the layout.

Otherwise I think populating PCBs yourself will really make you realize how it can be good to do a layout in a certain way, compared to another. I've attached an example of one of the layouts I did ages ago so you can see in practice what I meant.

My personal layout rules are:
  • - Make it as small as possible, short traces
    - Make it look pretty, as symmetrical as can be
    - Signal should always flow from the left side of the board to the right
Oh and watch out for those high frequency circuit sections that if layed out badly will cause oscillation to occur.
Attachments
Bass Fuzz.zip
(12.08 KiB) Downloaded 96 times

DahakaNishoba
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by DahakaNishoba »

As for the silkscreen I'm actually using a script I downloaded...

For everything else....when I use breadboards or vero...or do things for myself....I can actually avoid putting pot pads in....out and other "logistically crucial pads in a regular layout....but working with a pcb...and well if I still manage to produce kits....things must be clear and well placed...even if this means more space wasted
As for the layouts....I'm just trying to learn the basics "software side" not really care about traces or placement exept from the "small space no jumper thing"....once I get a decent experience with eagle then I can start to work seriously (and etching different layouts for the same project just to see the one best working) and putting a focus over actual artistic/sound placement

Anyway yesterday I finished the schem for the Mammoth....using pads in place of pots and setting global rules before the routing following ur advice....hope today I can sort out te routin in the afternoon

I'm actually on the phone....will watch out for your file as sonn as possible when I reach the pc

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

for pads- go to gm supply, then pads.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

DahakaNishoba
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by DahakaNishoba »

RnFR wrote:for pads- go to gm supply, then pads.
Ye ye already found thank you anyway
In the mammoth layout I'm using 3round pads for every pot...ah and finally trying to understand the naming/value tricks for components

Another question is....how to export in "black on white" for personal png and etching ?
Saw it somewhere maybe I need to go back on gm tutorials

Grendahl
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Grendahl »

DahakaNishoba wrote:Another question is....how to export in "black on white" for personal png and etching ?
This should get you where you need to go...
http://www.ianstedman.co.uk/Technical/P ... e_cad.html
Resistance is futile...
( if < 1 ohm )

DahakaNishoba
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by DahakaNishoba »

Grendahl wrote:
DahakaNishoba wrote:Another question is....how to export in "black on white" for personal png and etching ?
This should get you where you need to go...
http://www.ianstedman.co.uk/Technical/P ... e_cad.html
thank you nice tutorial.....later i will even try to understand how to write reverse on the bottom plane......its stylish 8)

gkoerselman wrote: Otherwise I think populating PCBs yourself will really make you realize how it can be good to do a layout in a certain way, compared to another. I've attached an example of one of the layouts I did ages ago so you can see in practice what I meant.

My personal layout rules are:
  • - Make it as small as possible, short traces
    - Make it look pretty, as symmetrical as can be
    - Signal should always flow from the left side of the board to the right
Oh and watch out for those high frequency circuit sections that if layed out badly will cause oscillation to occur.

I've taken a look at you files for the bass fuzz
  • - even if is for personal use....isnt too overcrowded to place compnents ?? it actually IS a very good placement....but I will be forced on more space to lay down a well-readable silkscreen layer (always thinkin bout KITS)

- You used a trace width of 0.04 and a consistent isolation distance between ground and pads.....is actually because you etch at home and is safer/easier to check or etch or even tried smallest width/isolation distance ?

- Looking at schem I can see I finally used the pads for pots well on my Mammoth schem....hope to finish a layout soon

DahakaNishoba
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by DahakaNishoba »

DahakaNishoba wrote: thank you nice tutorial.....later i will even try to understand how to write reverse on the bottom plane......its stylish 8)
ok tried the text function...is automatic :block:

anyway even if i actually dont like this one...at least here I used bigger traces and "pads for pots"
Attachments
MammOth.rar
(45.97 KiB) Downloaded 105 times