Do-It-Yourself Layout Creator [freeware] -- Updates log

Digital tools for electronic work: software for pcb design, schematic drawing, circuit simulation, parts inventory tools, ...

Re: Do-It-Yourself Layout Creator [freeware] -- Updates log

Postby YellowBoy » 30 Dec 2016, 16:17

Hey Bancika! Massive thanks for your continued efforts with DIYLC! You really made this hobby accessible to newcomers.

I'd like to put forward a feature request if possible? Is there a way/can you implement a system where a user can set an object template as the default state? For example, when I'm doing pedal layouts I tend to use my 1/8W resistor template...but with amps I use my 1/2W template. Constantly choosing a template is a bit annoying so setting a template as the default resistor for example would speed up a layout.

I appreciate this is somewhat of a silly ask but just something I always think about whenever I open DIYLC and start using.

Again...serious thanks for your time man!
YellowBoy

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby bancika » 30 Dec 2016, 17:57

thanks for the kind words. It's currently not possible to select a default template, but I will add it to the queue. Sounds like an interesting feature.

In the meantime, you can mimic this behavior by setting default values of individual properties. It will work, but it's not as elegant. Checkboxes on the right side of the editor dialog are doing exactly that. Whatever value is entered will be applied to newly created components. Just set default values for width and length and they will stick until you change them next time.
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out - https://github.com/bancika/diy-layout-creator
Check out my site with DIY gutars, amps and pedals http://diy-fever.com
bancika
Solder Soldier

Have thanks: 59 times

Postby bancika » 05 Jan 2017, 19:13

had to do a patch release because of the stupid bug I introduced, but managed to squeeze in some new stuff too...default templates, among others.

@YellowBoy, check it out and let me know what you think. You can default templates from the popup menu directly using the pin icon.

Grab it from here https://github.com/bancika/diy-layout-c ... ag/v3.35.0

[Bug Fix] Cannot type "q" letter in any of the boxes around the app
[New Feature] Mirror selection horizontally and vertically
[New Feature] Ability to set a default template for component type (grey "pin" icon in the template popup)
[Improvement] Default focus on "Text" field for label
[Improvement] Consolidated popup menu items with "Edit" menu
[Improvement] Renamed menu actions for renumbering to be clearer
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out - https://github.com/bancika/diy-layout-creator
Check out my site with DIY gutars, amps and pedals http://diy-fever.com

For this message the author bancika has received thanks:
YellowBoy (05 Jan 2017, 20:58)
bancika
Solder Soldier

Have thanks: 59 times

Postby YellowBoy » 05 Jan 2017, 21:01

Default Templates work great man thanks. Very elegant way to do it. I like the addition to delete them from here too.

Fantastic work lad. Thanks again

Ciaran
YellowBoy

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby poiureza » Yesterday, 14:05

I just wanted to thank you for this wonderful tool ... and ask a couple questions :o :

1. Is there a way to move separate legs on components ? Whatever the pin spacing, the component is always centered between legs. Is there a way to locate it off-center (or even better : free body location) while keeping the pins where they are ? Would be usefull e.g. for big electrolytics on a crowded PCB.
2. Is there a Library with additional components somewhere ? Right now I'm missing small transformers, Mouser 42TM018 or similar as well as additional package types (TO-220 right now). So far I build them with separate parts : any available standard part that enables correct pin spacing and then drawing line boxes to make for the actual shape and eventually grouping them. So I could get away with this if there were an option to save grouped elements as templates. It would also be nice if copy & paste kept the grouping (the SW pastes them as ungrouped parts).
Fortunately, elements are kept in copy buffer when closing a project and opening a different one, so there is a turnaround.
3. The body dimension of components seem to jump by 1mm increments. Is there a way to go down to 0.5mm (metal film capacitors in mind) ?
4. Is there a way to select trace endpoints or pads located beneath a component ? "Bring to front" "push to back" etc does not seem to work, the mouse always picks the component.

Thanks again for this great piece of SW
poiureza

Have thanks: 1 time

Previous

Return to Software Room