SPICE software

Digital tools for electronic work: software for pcb design, schematic drawing, circuit simulation, parts inventory tools, ...
Brian M
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: Vintage Twins

Post by Brian M »

I've tried out LT spice a couple of times. It seems ok for signal tracing, but I'm more interesting in simulating frequency response of a circuit. If there are variables (like potentiometers) in the circuit it's a pain to set up correctly, and I don't think I've ever seen a result that looked correct when graphed (probably user error) The shortcut keys are also really annoying. Come on, control Z should always be undo. :roll:

Any suggestions for something a bit more user friendly that is either free or affordable? I don't need anything super powerful.
I downloaded the TINA demo, which looks promising (uses shortcut keys that make sense) but the full version is $480.

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

I use QUCS running under Ubuntu. As with most things Linux the user manual is 'make it up as you go' but once you download a few examples and see how other people have done things it starts to get a lot easier. It is free.

My trouble is I only use it every few months and I have forgotten most of it each time (it's an age thing).

QUCS - Quite Universal Circuit Simulator.
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012

Brian M
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Brian M »

cool, i'll check it out. I have ubuntu on my laptop but rarely boot in to it.

I have the same problem with LTspice. I rarely use it and when i do I have to re-learn everything. It doesn't help that it makes everything super tedious.

phatt
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by phatt »

Hi Brian,

Try Circuitmaker (student version is free but only does 50 components)

http://my.ece.ucsb.edu/bobsclass/2C/Sim ... _maker.htm

I messed around with a few programs but kept coming back to Cmaker because it did the basic stuff so easy.

A couple of fiddly presets have to be made to do the freq plots you mentioned but still a lot easier to work with than some of the high end stuff.
Oh you can sim Valves Also. :thumbsup
Phil.

Brian M
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Brian M »

phatt wrote:Hi Brian,

Try Circuitmaker (student version is free but only does 50 components)

http://my.ece.ucsb.edu/bobsclass/2C/Sim ... _maker.htm

I messed around with a few programs but kept coming back to Cmaker because it did the basic stuff so easy.

A couple of fiddly presets have to be made to do the freq plots you mentioned but still a lot easier to work with than some of the high end stuff.
Oh you can sim Valves Also. :thumbsup
Phil.
Cool... I'll check this one out too. 50 components would probably be fine, because I never try to spice whole circuits. Usually parts of them to see if they work correctly, or to find out why it's not working. I did the math on this tone control I'm working on, and it doesn't really sound like I expected it to.

Thanks

coldcraft
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by coldcraft »

Brian M wrote:I'm more interesting in simulating frequency response of a circuit. If there are variables (like potentiometers) in the circuit it's a pain to set up correctly, and I don't think I've ever seen a result that looked correct when graphed (probably user error).

The variant 5Spice works great for this. There is also a free version you could test drive. http://www.5spice.com/
Black Dynamite wrote:you need to shut the fuck up when grown folks is talkin.

Hotrats
Information

Post by Hotrats »

electrical
Information

Post by electrical »

In my circuits class (I'm studying to be an electrical engineer), we used PSpice. It has frequency sweep capabilities.