Eagle Tips, Tricks, Help and other Useful Information

Digital tools for electronic work: software for pcb design, schematic drawing, circuit simulation, parts inventory tools, ...
vanessa
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by vanessa »

Eagle CAD Tips And Gotchas (By Sanjay Mishra)

Introduction
Eagle CAD offers the best value for individuals and small businesses. However some of its user interface features are different from what we normally expect. For those of us who layout boards occasionally, it is an effort to relearn the Eagle CAD each time we come back to it. I have tried to document the Eagle CAD user interface idiosyncracies here to make it easier to do PCB layou with it.

Tips

1. Grouping objects : To group objects choose the group command from the Edit menu or from the tool bar. When you want to move them to a new location press F7 and then use the Right mouse button to drag them to a new location. Usually left mouse button is used for individual objects and right mouse button for groups.

2. Grouped objects stay grouped till you give another group command. So if you want to perform some operations on a group that you made, you do not have to issue another group command.

3. Copying : When copying parts or symbols from one library to another, you have to select All Layers, group the parts using the group tool, and then use Cut. This does not Cut the part from the libray but simply makes a copy . To use Cut one does not simply group and then click on Cut as one would do in a Windows program. It requires one more step – you have to click with your left mouse button on the group.

4. Packages: Normally selected layers are

* Top - 1
* Bottom -16
* Pads -17
* Dimension - 20
* tPlace – 21
* tOrigins -23
* tNames -25
* tValues - 27
* tDocu -51

1. Multiple Symbols Being Placed: Sometimes when I place parts from a library on a schematic it seems that I inadvertently place multiple parts when all I intended was placing a single part. This usually happens on a schematic. The multiple parts show up when I go to layout the boards. The board layout tool does not allow these parts to be deleted – they have to be deleted in the schematic. Two tricks can be used to get rid of multiple parts:

* Move the overlapping parts. Then delete one of them.
* If you cannot find the part use the show command to look for them. You can look up the part value in the board layout and then use “Show”.

Useful short cuts:

* F2 – Redraw
* F7 – Move
* Alt-Backspace - Undo

Also -

1. To name a part, for example net names, use the Name command. To label the net, wire or part use the Label command.
2. Board outlines must be drawn in layer 20. You specify the layer of the the wire using the drop down menu in the top left hand corner. The layer button is only for specifying which layer to display.
3. Use “Mirror” command to send a part to the other layer.
Last edited by vanessa on 10 Jan 2008, 21:30, edited 2 times in total.

vanessa
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by vanessa »

Here is another tutorial by Gaussmarkov (great DIY site too!)

http://gaussmarkov.net/wordpress/tools/ ... gle/eagle/

With easy to use libraries that hold all the common parts you need for DIY schematics and PCB layouts:

(Please don't post copyrighted artwork that you don't own! Re-draw it with an editor like this then post it)

http://gaussmarkov.net/wordpress/tools/ ... libraries/
Last edited by vanessa on 10 Jan 2008, 22:21, edited 1 time in total.

vanessa
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by vanessa »

Oh did I forget to tell you that you can get a free version perfect for making stompboxes?

Here's the link:

http://www.cadsoftusa.com/freeware.htm

vanessa
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by vanessa »

The more the merrier, add your tips and tricks or questions on how to use here.

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

Thanks for the links! I just downloaded LTSpice last night after seeing the tutorials on Gauss Markov's page.
Looks like I've got some more downloading to do tonight! [smilie=muffin.gif]
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

gaussmarkov
Information

Post by gaussmarkov »

nice vanessa! i just stumbled on your thread. it must be kharma because i am pretty random and sporadic about looking at stuff. and i don't usually scroll down this far. :D

that LABEL command in your summary is cool. i didn't know about that one. thanks!

here's a tip --- one that people miss frequently. when you put in dual op-amps, you won't see the power pins. you have to make them show using the INVOKE command and then choose the PWR entry that appears on the menu. then you can place the 2 power pins together wherever you like, but usually on one of the two op-amp triangles.

gaussmarkov
Information

Post by gaussmarkov »

Here's another tip that is a gm original. :D

You can hide layers using the DISPLAY command. And you can route your traces on the TOP or BOTTOM layer. So there is a way to hide some of the unrouted "rubberband" connections: ROUTE them on the top layer and then turn off the display of the top layer. I do this all the time for the ground net because I like to do the ground connections after everything else is getting close to where it will go.

Generally, route your traces on the BOTTOM (default is blue) layer. Which reminds me of another thing. I suggest that you use the top layer traces for jumpers. There are jumper components in the Eagle libraries. But these must appear on the schematic. Generally speaking, layout specifics should not appear on the schematic. You would only put jumpers on the schematic if they serve a purpose for the circuit, like changing connections for different configurations.

FXFXFX
Information

Post by FXFXFX »

On professional made boards you can see a "filling" between the circuit paths. So you have to etch less material. Is there an option to set this filling automatically with a defined space to the paths or do i have to draw them manually with rectangle and polygon tool?

gaussmarkov
Information

Post by gaussmarkov »

FXFXFX wrote:On professional made boards you can see a "filling" between the circuit paths. So you have to etch less material. Is there an option to set this filling automatically with a defined space to the paths or do i have to draw them manually with rectangle and polygon tool?
yes, there is. try looking at the ground pour tutorial on gaussmarkov.net: http://gaussmarkov.net/wordpress/tools/software/eagle/ground-pour/

FXFXFX
Information

Post by FXFXFX »

That's great! Thank you!

madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

gaussmarkov
Information

Post by gaussmarkov »

very cool. 8)

marshmellow
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by marshmellow »

Version 5.0 has been released. Some nice additions, especially the context menu in the schematic/layout editor for every part will make it much easier for beginners.

chicago_mike
Tube Twister
Information

Post by chicago_mike »

I have switches, Pots, Jacks, etc..that Are in my schematic right now...

BUT : I dont want them on the circuit board. So...before I do the pcb lay out, do I get rid of the parts and just add pads?

Also, how do you make a 9volt supply so you can test the pedal before going to the pcb? I add 9 volt supplies, but I still get a no power error. Im very new to eagle cad so please excuse my ignance'. :)

And lastly..Auto route..the first layout is pretty hefty..I'd like to maybe place them generically on the pcb, will eagle cad only route where I drop or will it also MOVE the component? I think Protel used to actually move the component around...

Thanks peeps. :)
Skyline FX 2013

Silent Fly
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Silent Fly »

I am not a Eagle expert but as far as I can remember:
chicago_mike wrote:BUT : I dont want them on the circuit board. So...before I do the pcb lay out, do I get rid of the parts and just add pads?
I think so - this is what I would do.
chicago_mike wrote:Also, how do you make a 9volt supply so you can test the pedal before going to the pcb? I add 9 volt supplies, but I still get a no power error.
Page 42 of the Tutorial pdf tells you how to do it. If you look in libraries supply1 and supply2 you will find what you need.
chicago_mike wrote:And lastly..Auto route..the first layout is pretty hefty..I'd like to maybe place them generically on the pcb, will eagle cad only route where I drop or will it also MOVE the component? I think Protel used to actually move the component around...
As far as I know, Eagle does not move the components. It will do autorouting but not autoplacement.
"Remember - all I am offering is the truth, nothing more". Morpheus

chicago_mike
Tube Twister
Information

Post by chicago_mike »

ty fly. 8)
Skyline FX 2013

super velcroboy
Information

Post by super velcroboy »

thanks for the link madbean. The videos on that site are very good.

earthtonesaudio
Transistor Tuner
Information
Completed builds: Metal Simplex, Fuzz Factory, two Fab Echos-modded, Noisy Cricket, Earth & Space Wah, TS-7-modded, passive xover/splitter box, opamp fuzz

Post by earthtonesaudio »

I'm just now attempting to learn Eagle, so this info is great. Thanks to all!
rocklander wrote:hairsplitting and semantics aren't exactly the same thing though.. we may need two contests for that.

qwixzh
Information

Post by qwixzh »

how do i increase the pcb dimension allowable? please dont tell me to purchase the professional version since i think i only needed the larger pcb dimension for this one project of mine.

FXFXFX
Information

Post by FXFXFX »

qwixzh wrote:how do i increase the pcb dimension allowable? please dont tell me to purchase the professional version since i think i only needed the larger pcb dimension for this one project of mine.
I think there's no way to increase the limited dimension in light version.

But I have a question too, i tried and tried but have no solution: can i create intersections witch ground pour? a simple subtraction? I tried it with "rank" but it didn't work. I need an area inside another polygon that is subtracted from the whole set. Or in other words, i don't need ground pour everywhere and this woud be the easy way... :D