Eagle Tips, Tricks, Help and other Useful Information

Digital tools for electronic work: software for pcb design, schematic drawing, circuit simulation, parts inventory tools, ...
chicago_mike
Tube Twister
Information

Post by chicago_mike »

32...cool. thanks.
Skyline FX 2013

chicago_mike
Tube Twister
Information

Post by chicago_mike »

What size should I use for my holes for parts...

Meaning : the defualt hole/mounts for caps and resistors is a little too small for my taste. Comparring to say tonepad / ggg, the default holes are a few pixels too small in photoshop..soo

How do I change that size?

Thanks! :)
Skyline FX 2013

marshmellow
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by marshmellow »

Most libraries are made with a specific drill and the diameter set to automatic. So you can either change the pad size in the library directly to a fixed bigger value. Or you change it while doing the layout. Go to the DRC dialog, there is a tab called 'Restring', you can scale it with that setting.

And now I realize you are talking about the holes and not the pads. Anyway, I'll just leave it here.

For holes: open the library and modify the relevant package, that means each single pad ('group' to select all pads at once will go a long way...). But I can assure you, if you use the RCL library for example, those holes are more than big enough. All I normally do is increase the restring in order to have bigger pads. If you get those boards produced, 0.8mm is big enough and fine for that standard 0207 resistor. If you drill yourself it doesn't matter anyway, just use a 1mm drill (+ bigger pads), so you don't get in trouble with misalignment. But that's only a problem with ICs and not resistors or caps. And that's why tonepad and ggg layouts have bigger holes and pads to begin with, because they are meant to be etched and drilled by hand.

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

alright, i've got an eagle question.

i want to make daughter board for 3pdt's, and i've got the switch up in the board window. i've invoked all three switches on the 3pdt, but there are still 3 contacts left with no connections. anyone know how to get these up in the schematic window?
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

chicago_mike
Tube Twister
Information

Post by chicago_mike »

maybe just make some thru-hole wirepads? :scratch:
Skyline FX 2013

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

yeah that works. thanks!

:secret: it's the least you could do for not posting your eagle questions in the eagle thread. :wink: :twisted: :mrgreen:

i'll post it later if anybody wants it.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

chicago_mike
Tube Twister
Information

Post by chicago_mike »

yeah yeah yeah... :P

well you know..I think theres people that can..oh, I dunno..MOVE those questions...but..gee golly...

I gots no clue what you'd call those people....its like they..can..ummm.....administer a change or something....oh hell..im talking out of my ass again. :mrgreen:
Skyline FX 2013

chicago_mike
Tube Twister
Information

Post by chicago_mike »

OKay this is only a test pcb.

I did the ground pour as madbean and others have said..

What size space for wires should I use..if I cant print this thight?

What size pad hole should I normally use..if NOT using gussamov's library?

I think imfinally getting it..kinda sorta.. :)
Attachments
TEST.jpg
TEST.jpg (33.68 KiB) Viewed 9652 times
Skyline FX 2013

himister
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by himister »

Nice one Mike. :thumbsup
Try 0.4-0.6mm (0.01575-0.02362") distance between tracks and ground plane.
As for the holes 0.6-1mm would be best.
Cheers.

chicago_mike
Tube Twister
Information

Post by chicago_mike »

Thanks! :)

Im going to resize this obviously and has in no way whatsoever a complete ripoff of rfnr's board.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :oops:

IM going to add pads for a 9 volt battery clip and a 2.1 / 2.5mm jack. Since all my jacks are 2.5mm :slap:

Oh, and LED leads are long enough to be mounted to the board and still stick out far enough to be used in an LED holder..wich is nice.

Im trying to think what else can be fixed to this board...
Skyline FX 2013

quaternotetriplet
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by quaternotetriplet »

does anyone have pt2399 library?

I have deleted the stock eagle library. :slap:

madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

I actually just use a generic 16 pin dip for it. There's a blank one in the guassmarkov library.

quaternotetriplet
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by quaternotetriplet »

thanks man. found it. :slap:

madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

Here's a tip: say you have a library that you only ever use 50% of the devices/packages in? For example, I use maybe 25% of the gm-lib files. You can create your own custom library easily from another library. Start a new schematic and load the symbols of all the devices you want in your new library. Now run a ULP and choose: exp-project-lbr.ulp. It will load up a dialog. Select to have it all in one library, pick 'collect data' then after it's done, choose 'create library'. It automatically exports the library into the project folder you currently have active. You can leave it there, or place in you lbr folder that you use you other Eagle libraries in (in the program folder). Now you can use just that library, if you want, to eliminate all the stuff you don't need!

I can't believe it took me this long to figure this out.

soggybag
Resistor Ronker
Information
Completed builds: Fuzz Face, Tone Bender, Big Muff, ICBM, Ugly Face, Green Ringer, Super Fuzz, Multiplex Echo, Multiplex Jr, Rebote, Echo Base, SHO, Fuzz Factory, Titan Boost/Octave, Easy Face, Tone Bender MkII, Trem Shifter, Zero Point Mini...

Post by soggybag »

I'm using Eagle PCB and there are a few parts that I would like to have that don't seem to be available. Mostly 13600 or 13700. I'd also like a 3046/3986 transistor array.

Is it possible to make your own? Is there a tutorial out there on this?

JiM
Diode Debunker
Information
Completed builds: Completed builds :
Proco Rat
MXR MicroAmp in a volume pedal
TubeDriver (w/ NoS russian tube and big muff tone contol) + Phase 45 (w/ univibe cap ratio)
Dallas Rangemaster (w/ noisy OC75, negative ground)
SubCaster tube booster (w/ NoS russian tube, PtP)
Hot Harmonics
Music From Outer Space SubCommander in progress
Crackle Not OK
Simple bass blender in a 1590A
Bazz Fuss with a photo-darlington

Post by JiM »

Yes you can. IIRC, there is a tutorial for that on gaussmarkov's website. Or Sparkfun.

FYI, there are tons of additional libraries (including LM13700) on the cadsoft.de website.
I only give negative feedback.

soggybag
Resistor Ronker
Information
Completed builds: Fuzz Face, Tone Bender, Big Muff, ICBM, Ugly Face, Green Ringer, Super Fuzz, Multiplex Echo, Multiplex Jr, Rebote, Echo Base, SHO, Fuzz Factory, Titan Boost/Octave, Easy Face, Tone Bender MkII, Trem Shifter, Zero Point Mini...

Post by soggybag »

Thanks I found the 13700. This will be helpful.

I couldn't find the 3046/3086 (I mistyped 3986 above).

Bside2234
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Bside2234 »

So like many others I've been trying to figure out Eagle. I've been playing around with the layouts at Gaussmarkov's site. What I can't figure out is how to add the extra pads between the pots? I try to add them directly to the board and I get a "can't backannotate. Do this on the schematic" error.
I'll try to make it more clear. He has offboard wired pots. There are single pads on the board to hook up a wire from the pot to the board. These pads aren't on the schematic. The only way I possibly see having individual/separate pads for each pot lug is to do 3 separate pads on the schematic. His schematics don't have this. Just normal pots.

EDIT: I think I figured it out. He's using vias! Right?

Bside2234
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Bside2234 »

So I'm using vias for pads for the offboard wiring of pots. This seems to work well and what gaussmarkov was doing. I have run into a related problem though. I made some vias for the gain pot then I changed some things on my schematic. I moved a resistor from lug 1 of the gain pot to lug 3. Nothing big. Problem is the via is still there connected to the wrong side of the resistor by an airwire and it won't let me delete it. I keep getting the "can't backannotate. Do this on the schematic" error again. I've tried to disconnect the resistor in the schematic. Didn't work. It just moves the airwire to the next component. Any idea of how to get rid of the via?
I'll post a picture in a minute.
via problem.png
via problem.png (5.86 KiB) Viewed 9512 times

Chugs
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Chugs »

I am just starting to learn Eagle and I have a couple of questions related to entering schematics.

I have entered the attached schematic and checked it. I received no errors but I did get several warnings. I believe I can ignore the last warning as Eagle is expecting to see a dual supply, not single supply setup. I also believe I can ignore the third warning but I am not sure about the other warning. Have I committed a terrible Eagle crime? Will the Eagle police bash down my door and take me away!?!
Attachments
Test Drive.sch
(84.95 KiB) Downloaded 171 times
Warnings.png
Warnings.png (20.79 KiB) Viewed 9418 times
Test Drive.png
Test Drive.png (7.45 KiB) Viewed 9418 times