Eagle Tips, Tricks, Help and other Useful Information

Digital tools for electronic work: software for pcb design, schematic drawing, circuit simulation, parts inventory tools, ...
qwixzh
Information

Post by qwixzh »

thanks for the reply.

about the open area where you dont want the ground pour. probably you can place a dummy trace or text exactly on the area you dont want the pour to be before performing the ground pour.

sadrew
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by sadrew »

A simple question:

How can i set board dimension to a specified size?

For example, if i want my pcb to be 5x4 cm how can i tell eagle to auto size the board (layer dimension) to this size?

Thanks and sorry for my bad english, for me it's very hard even to explain simple questions... :slap:

FXFXFX
Information

Post by FXFXFX »

sadrew wrote:A simple question:

How can i set board dimension to a specified size?

For example, if i want my pcb to be 5x4 cm how can i tell eagle to auto size the board (layer dimension) to this size?

Thanks and sorry for my bad english, for me it's very hard even to explain simple questions... :slap:
You have to orientate yourself on the coordinates. Based on your point of origin (the little cross or "plus") and the selected grid you possibly have to calculate a bit...

sadrew
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by sadrew »

duh :slap:

simpler than i tought

thanks FX

kierc
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Vox Cambridge 30 R Twin
Completed builds: Clyde McCoy Wah with Whipple+Red Fasel inductor switch, Fuzz Face with own layout

Post by kierc »

Hi all,

Just got Eagle to start making some layouts, and trying to make a pcb layout for the GGG boutique late 60's fuzz face, but just have a question...

I first create the schematic by copying the one from GGG, but I can't figure out how to do the off-board stuff? I can manage to put the pots in like the GGG schematic, but the input, output, switch, power etc etc is confusing me? Do I even need them in there and just add pads for connections? how would I do this?

I've had a mosey through gaussmarkov.net and am using the library from there too, and will look through all the other stuff I can find tomorrow, but just thought I'd ask...

Thanks!

Kier.

Cow4prez
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Cow4prez »

kierc wrote:Hi all,

Just got Eagle to start making some layouts, and trying to make a pcb layout for the GGG boutique late 60's fuzz face, but just have a question...

I first create the schematic by copying the one from GGG, but I can't figure out how to do the off-board stuff? I can manage to put the pots in like the GGG schematic, but the input, output, switch, power etc etc is confusing me? Do I even need them in there and just add pads for connections? how would I do this?

I've had a mosey through gaussmarkov.net and am using the library from there too, and will look through all the other stuff I can find tomorrow, but just thought I'd ask...

Thanks!

Kier.
you don't need to place the offboard stuff, because it's so standard. Just input to output is good enough. You can place pads on the PCB.

kierc
Breadboard Brother
Information
Completed builds: Clyde McCoy Wah with Whipple+Red Fasel inductor switch, Fuzz Face with own layout

Post by kierc »

Thanks for that, looking OK to me so far :)

Got another question though... one of the resistors' pins wasn't connected to anything when I went to the board, and the board won't let me just draw the connection.. I'm pretty sure I've updated the schematic to make sure it's connected, but how do I update the board for the changes in the schematic?? or better yet, how do I just draw the connection?

Thanks again :)

Cow4prez
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Cow4prez »

kierc wrote:Thanks for that, looking OK to me so far :)

Got another question though... one of the resistors' pins wasn't connected to anything when I went to the board, and the board won't let me just draw the connection.. I'm pretty sure I've updated the schematic to make sure it's connected, but how do I update the board for the changes in the schematic?? or better yet, how do I just draw the connection?

Thanks again :)
the problem is usually in the schematic. You need to zoom in close and move the connection around to make sure it's connected. Sometimes if the grid measurement is not right, it won't connect. You can't connect in PCB mode, if i recall correctly.

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

chicago_mike wrote:I have switches, Pots, Jacks, etc..that Are in my schematic right now...

BUT : I dont want them on the circuit board. So...before I do the pcb lay out, do I get rid of the parts and just add pads?

Also, how do you make a 9volt supply so you can test the pedal before going to the pcb? I add 9 volt supplies, but I still get a no power error. Im very new to eagle cad so please excuse my ignance'. :)

And lastly..Auto route..the first layout is pretty hefty..I'd like to maybe place them generically on the pcb, will eagle cad only route where I drop or will it also MOVE the component? I think Protel used to actually move the component around...

Thanks peeps. :)
i have been adding send and return pads from the supply section from gauss' library. it helps when separating the pins with pots. you can have a send, a return, and a ground.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

kierc
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by kierc »

I fixed the connection issues I had.. I zoomed in and moved the component with the move tool and it turned out it wasn't actually connected :slap:

Thanks again for your help 8) (will post up my layout to ask for someone to check it over now haha :roll: )

marshmellow
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by marshmellow »

If you would have used the DRC, Eagle would have told you that the resistor isn't connected. Definitely recommended before starting to layout.

kierc
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by kierc »

Yeah I only just noticed that feature :lol:

marshmellow
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by marshmellow »

Hm, actually I meant to say ERC (= electrical rule check). DRC is the equivalent for the layout editor.

sadrew
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by sadrew »

I founded gaussmarkov libraries are PERFECT for making stompboxes.

But i need to make a pcb for a tube pedal with board-mounted 12AX7s.

Does anyone have libraries for octal and noval tubes?

marshmellow
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by marshmellow »

There is already a library included in Eagle. And, coincidentally, it's called "tubes". :wink:
But if not, get this one.
In the download area of the site is a section with lots of additional libraries...

sadrew
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by sadrew »

i founded tubes libraries.

i need also lbr for mallory 150 axial capacitors and axial electrolytic capacitors.

did a search on the cadsoft archive with no result

please help

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

If you look in "rcl" library there are components for axial electrolytic and also for 15mm and 20mm spacing film capacitors that work for Mallory 150 types.

sadrew wrote:i founded tubes libraries.

i need also lbr for mallory 150 axial capacitors and axial electrolytic capacitors.

did a search on the cadsoft archive with no result

please help
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

clubsprint
TGP Refugee
Information
my favorite amplifier: Plexi

Post by clubsprint »

Hi
I've been trying to find this for hours. How do you change the default autorouter track width in Eagle layout editor?
Thanks.
Xenu will prevail.

Silent Fly
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Silent Fly »

1st: With "Edit/Net Classes..." first define the width of the net classes in plan to use (e.g. default, power_supply, signal).

2nd: In the schematics specify which connections belong to a certain class. In other words, you need to tell Eagle which connection is part of the power supply, which one is the ground...

To do that you can use the icon on the upper left corner. Clink on a connection (aka net), a windows pops-up. Change the "Net Class" to the name defined previously.

Remember to do the above with the schematics and PCB files opened at the same time otherwise the two will go off-sync.
"Remember - all I am offering is the truth, nothing more". Morpheus

sadrew
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by sadrew »

Many thanks