New version of DIY Layout Creator

Digital tools for electronic work: software for pcb design, schematic drawing, circuit simulation, parts inventory tools, ...
bancika
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by bancika »

Greetings,
I'm the author of DIYLC software and I'd like to let you guys know that new version is under development. It's completely new architecture, it's written in Java so it works virtually anywhere, much easier to work with, etc. Components are not part of the application, but external library files which can be added/modified later.
It's still under development so not everything is perfect (or at least as close as I'd like it to be).

Here's download link, just unzip the file and run the JAR
storm-software.co.yu/diylc/diylc_beta.zip
I have also opened special page where anyone can post feature requests or bug reports here
storm-software.co.yu/flyspray/

Cheers,
Bane

invalidcd
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by invalidcd »

This is great i can use it on my mac now, this program is very useful, thanks and keep it up :D

chris_d
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by chris_d »

This version is much improved! I was going crazy trying to do a largeish PCB in the old one, but this version is much faster, simpler, and more flexible.

As you know from DIYstomp, the layer lock is a little buggy, but when it works that is a great feature as well!

Would it be possible to create a zoom/magnify capability in it? It would be very helpful for moving PCB traces that need to be close to each other.

Thanks for all of you work on this and its predecessor! Really a great program!

P.S. I know that you have pared down the library for simplicity's sake in the beta stage, but LEDs would be helpful to have back. Right now i am using 5mm eyelets as placeholders! :)

Thanks!

-chris

bancika
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by bancika »

thanks for the comments guys. This is important:
please use Beta version for evaluation only because with next release you'll probably not be able to open files created with current beta version. I release these beta's only to give people a chance to express their wishes/opinions/comments. When most of us (if not all) are happy with what we have, I'm going to make a "proper" release and future releases will not change the app structure to ensure back compatibility with all ver 2 DIY files.

Cheers,
Bane

chris_d
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by chris_d »

bancika wrote:thanks for the comments guys. This is important:
please use Beta version for evaluation only because with next release you'll probably not be able to open files created with current beta version. I release these beta's only to give people a chance to express their wishes/opinions/comments. When most of us (if not all) are happy with what we have, I'm going to make a "proper" release and future releases will not change the app structure to ensure back compatibility with all ver 2 DIY files.

Cheers,
Bane
Cool. I don't know if there is a way to comment on a request over at the flyspray page, but i wanted to add that the layer lock bugginess seems to have something to do with the use of "Undo"

In general the "Undo" command seems a bit odd, maybe buggy? I don't understand how it logs actions. Often it undoes quite a bit more than is expected. I don't know if that is a bug or if it is a symptom of the way "actions" are logged and "counted". Either way probably worth looking into some more.

-chris

frank.clarke
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by frank.clarke »

Works in Vista :). Much better than the original, I can copy and paste and move things now. Thanks!

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

I just downloaded it and started playing around. So far, I like it alot - good improvements from the previous version. I like that it has more for amplifier layout now.

Blackface'd!
http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/d/186 ... kfaced.png

I was able to get that together very quickly and easily. Thanks!
My only wish is that there is a button to "unstick" components once the contact points have been joined together. I like the stickiness because it makes it easy to reposition parts en masse, but when I want to reposition a single part, it looks like I have to delete it and place a new one. I want an "Stick/Unstick" button. :)
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

chris_d
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by chris_d »

soulsonic wrote:I want an "Stick/Unstick" button. :)
F2?

-chris

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

Oh, I see. Sorry, that wasn't in a place where I'd thought it would be. I expected that function to be found under Edit and be specific to each part. I didn't even think to look under settings.
Thanks, Chris!
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

Cool, bancika. Excellent work so far! I put in a couple of feature requests on flypaper.

:twisted:

Greg
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Tophat Emplexador & Supreme 16.
Completed builds: LOTS..

Post by Greg »

frank.clarke wrote:Works in Vista :). Much better than the original, I can copy and paste and move things now. Thanks!
I'm running the original in Vista OK.

frank.clarke
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by frank.clarke »

The original works in Vista, but I couldn't copy and paste anything, which greatly reduced the usefulness. The new version is easier to use, faster, and you can move things around if you get stuck. The XML component library is a great idea.
The enclosure layout is a good idea too. So thanks again!

supro
Information

Post by supro »

I tried this on a mac,,,,how do I run it?
How do I open these java files?
thanks

bancika
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by bancika »

Yeah, I'm aware that undo doesn't capture all changes, I'll fix that.
Also, I plan to rework the whole engine under "sticky" points to make it work better and more flexible, there are few things that annoy me there :)

Maybe you don't know for these shortcuts:
Holding ctrl while dragging will make snap to grid opposite and similar with shift key and sticky points.
cheers

supro
Information

Post by supro »

So Bianka, please tell me how do make your latest effort work on a mac!
thanks!

bancika
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by bancika »

Who's Bianka? :)
Just run JAR file, I don't know how you run files on mac, but I guess that's the only thing you need to do. It works on Mac, many people reported that.

invalidcd
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by invalidcd »

supro wrote:I tried this on a mac,,,,how do I run it?
How do I open these java files?
thanks
When you download the given link, a folder will appear on your desktop.Open the folder and double click on DIYLC.jar,it should open.Macs come with a program call (Jar Launcher). This is not an install file so you wont find it in your apps , so just put it on your dock or leave the folder on the desktop.
Mine worked the right away no trouble. I hope this helps :wink:

supro
Information

Post by supro »

bancika wrote:Who's Bianka? :)
Just run JAR file, I don't know how you run files on mac, but I guess that's the only thing you need to do. It works on Mac, many people reported that.
:oops: I don't usually mix ladies and gents!,
so im on 10.9.....nothing opens, I get a message saying it can't be launched.
10.4 minimum?

invalidcd
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by invalidcd »

supro wrote:
bancika wrote:Who's Bianka? :)
:oops: I don't usually mix ladies and gents!,
so im on 10.9.....nothing opens, I get a message saying it can't be launched.
10.4 minimum?
Try this, go to applications then find the utilities folder,open, then find the java
folder, open, and install plug in. If its not there I'm not sure what to do. i hope you can figure it out . Trust me its worth it(and this is just the beta)

bacaruda
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by bacaruda »

FWIW - I am also unable to run the program on OSX (10.3.9). I tried updating java and opening from terminal too. Might be a good thing if I can't get it to run though since the mac is my work computer and I'll just waste my whole day making layouts and end up getting fired . . .

Still, any other suggestions to get it to work? :lol: I'm guessing that it only works on >10.4. If that's the case, any chance of fixing this before the final release Bancika?

btw, Thanks for making a great program!