np electrolytic caps in eagle

Digital tools for electronic work: software for pcb design, schematic drawing, circuit simulation, parts inventory tools, ...
yuuuuuuuuuuun
Information

Post by yuuuuuuuuuuun »

I can't find np electrolytics in eagle does anyone know where they are? the polar ones are there and all the other np types but no np electros. thank you

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

try bipolar, if that doesn't turn up anything, just go with polar? In the end the parts look the same and fit in the same spacing, don't they?

What do you need non/bipolar caps for?

you can also download additional libraries for eagle. Gaussmarkov offers a great library to download.

yuuuuuuuuuuun
Information

Post by yuuuuuuuuuuun »

I just wanted to learn eagle, so I thought I would start simple and make a small pot mounted amz mini booster, since its a pedal I can use anyway. it has a 3.3uf np cap. thanks

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

yuuuuuuuuuuun wrote:I just wanted to learn eagle, so I thought I would start simple and make a small pot mounted amz mini booster, since its a pedal I can use anyway. it has a 3.3uf np cap. thanks
i see, you can use any cap for that though, you don't need an electrolytic cap. Most regular caps (wima, mylar, etc.) get really big in that value, that's why you'd probably have to use an electrolytic cap. If you do the board layout, you can use the symbol for polarized electrolytics though and just put the np in there either way.

yuuuuuuuuuuun
Information

Post by yuuuuuuuuuuun »

After I couldn't find it I did a google search for bipolar electrolytic eagle library, and found a library with it, its called cap-master.lbr, I also read some more about the circuit and found out 3.3uf isn't necessary and 1uf is ok. I have some pretty small 1uf box film caps I might use that. thanks

Hobie
Information

Post by Hobie »

i understand you just want to make the pcb and move on. However if you are going to use Eagle a lot more in the future, i would recommend you learn how to make custom libraries of adapt libraries early on.

i know i used to spend hours trying to find the right components libraries on the web.... If you spend that time learning how to make a custom component, you will find that making one only takes a couple of minutes and your workflow will increase exponentially....

do make sure you check your homemade libraries twice or you'll be sorry when making the pcb. but then again if you download a library online check it at least 3 times against the datasheet of you component..... there are a lot of rogue labraries around.

just my 2ct...

greetings,

Thomas