Free Adobe software (old, not warez)

Digital tools for electronic work: software for pcb design, schematic drawing, circuit simulation, parts inventory tools, ...
Zipslack
Information

Post by Zipslack »

Apparently Adobe turned off the activation servers for their older software and posted updated versions of the software to replace the old version. It's still the same software from 2005 (or 2007?), but it doesn't require activation and they provide the serial numbers. Technically, it's supposed to be for customers that had already purchased the software back in the day and may need to re-install; however, Adobe did not add any check for existing licensed copies and they posted more software packages. Makes it look like they don't care about the older versions and are just throwing them out there.

Here's the link http://www.adobe.com/downloads/cs2_downloads/index.html

Install using the serial numbers they provide. Photoshop and Illustrator for free...little old, but still useful. If you're already comfortable with Gimp and Inkscape, there's not much use in getting these.

.Mike
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by .Mike »

Yeah, this went down a few weeks ago. Technically they are not free. The story is that Adobe got sick of running activation servers for old software, which left people who purchased those older versions without the ability to reinstall the software they bought. Adobe they made older versions that did not require activation available to (older) license holders. Either due to an oversight or brilliant marketing, Adobe failed to use any sort of authentication or confirmation to make sure downloaders had a valid license.

I upgraded from Photoshop 7, which I used for over a decade, to CS2. With Photoshop CS2, I can finally easily place text around a circle. I installed Illustrator, too. My wife installed Acrobat.

The one thing people don't seem to be mentioning, though, is Audition 3.0. This is excellent recording software. It is the descendent of Cool Edit Pro, which Adobe bought and renamed. If you are using Audacity, get Audition 3.0. You'll like it a lot.

Mike
My website: America's Debate | My effects site: Just one more build...

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

.Mike

Thanks for the information on Audition 3.0. I am still using Cool Edit 2000 on an old W98 PC so I may finally be able to upgrade.

Thanks to Zipslack for the original post.

It is downloading as I type this.
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012