Best Vero software for mac

Digital tools for electronic work: software for pcb design, schematic drawing, circuit simulation, parts inventory tools, ...
soggybag
Resistor Ronker
Information
Completed builds: Fuzz Face, Tone Bender, Big Muff, ICBM, Ugly Face, Green Ringer, Super Fuzz, Multiplex Echo, Multiplex Jr, Rebote, Echo Base, SHO, Fuzz Factory, Titan Boost/Octave, Easy Face, Tone Bender MkII, Trem Shifter, Zero Point Mini...

Post by soggybag »

I downloaded DIY Layout Creator. Seems to work well enough, but the layouts don't look that great. I like this style:

The version I have makes layouts like this:
Screen Shot 2013-02-21 at 4.11.46 PM.png

The style of the board and parts isn't as nice or as easy to read.

roseblood11
Tube Twister
Information

Post by roseblood11 »

Isn't version 2 based on java as well? Should look closer to version 1.

grrrunge
Diode Debunker
Information
Completed builds: Loads!

Post by grrrunge »

The top one is from Storm software. Follow the link in the bottom of the image ;)
The bottom one is banchika's diylc - not the same thing.
A true believer in the magic of Sherwood Forest Pedal Pirates
---
New base of operations: http://www.knucklehead.dk

roseblood11
Tube Twister
Information

Post by roseblood11 »

Both are from bancika, it's version 1 and 3.
I agree with soggybag: Version 3 may have a lot of improvements and options, but I like the simplicity and readability of the old layouts better.

grrrunge
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by grrrunge »

roseblood11 wrote:Both are from bancika, it's version 1 and 3.
I agree with soggybag: Version 3 may have a lot of improvements and options, but I like the simplicity and readability of the old layouts better.
Is Bancika and storm software the same guy?
The storm software DIY layout creator is available here: http://www.storm-software.com/software/freeware.html
and Bancika's DIYLC v.1, v.2 and v.3 is available here: http://code.google.com/p/diy-layout-creator/
---

~arph
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by ~arph »

Yes,

And on the latest version of DIYLC you can actually change the colors of all components to whatever you like.. so that basic clean look can be achieved too.. you just need to adjust the colors.
In the quiet words of the virgin Mary: "Come again?"

soggybag
Resistor Ronker
Information
Completed builds: Fuzz Face, Tone Bender, Big Muff, ICBM, Ugly Face, Green Ringer, Super Fuzz, Multiplex Echo, Multiplex Jr, Rebote, Echo Base, SHO, Fuzz Factory, Titan Boost/Octave, Easy Face, Tone Bender MkII, Trem Shifter, Zero Point Mini...

Post by soggybag »

The first version looks much better. I like the part inventory display in the first version also.

Seems the first version is Window. I couldn't find a mac version.

The current version has many problems. The current version I am using does allow you to set the transparency of parts, but you have to set it with a slider for each part individually. Which is tedious and in accurate. Parts like resistors are wider than strips on vero, which makes things overlap. When you have a resistor standing up the label is not shown.

I wish I could get the older version on the Mac.

Not sure, but it seems there might be a way to get a template with the older style art?

grrrunge
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by grrrunge »

soggybag wrote:I wish I could get the older version on the Mac.
You can ;) Download the windows version, and use this to make an emulator-wrapper: http://www.winehq.org/
I used this to get all sorts of DIY tools running on my mac. Duncan's tone stack calculator amongst others :)
---

Electric Warrior
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Electric Warrior »

soggybag wrote: The current version has many problems. The current version I am using does allow you to set the transparency of parts, but you have to set it with a slider for each part individually. Which is tedious and in accurate. Parts like resistors are wider than strips on vero, which makes things overlap. When you have a resistor standing up the label is not shown.
That's an improvement. You'd only want the components that have trace cuts underneath them to be translucent to make things easier to read, wouldn't you? And you can set part sizes individually so they layouts come out very realistic. No nasty surprises when putting the circuit together anymore.

~arph
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by ~arph »

soggybag wrote:The first version looks much better. I like the part inventory display in the first

The current version has many problems. The current version I am using does allow you to set the transparency of parts, but you have to set it with a slider for each part individually. Which is tedious and in accurate. Parts like resistors are wider than strips on vero, which makes things overlap. When you have a resistor standing up the label is not shown.
You need some more time with the new version. You can set transparency for a type of component and check the checkbox to the right. After this it will use that transparency for all next components of that type. Plus you can change the width of resistors too...

The parts list is a component called BOM.. It's in there too :D

Dr Tony Balls
Diode Debunker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Sunn Model T

Post by Dr Tony Balls »

Yeah the newest version is really great. Like any software you have to learn it to really get all you can out of it. My ONLY gripe with it is that when resistors stand-up their labeling doesnt show. The fix for this seems to be to make the resistor length really short so they never stand up on the drawing, but it'd be nice if it was automatic. Personally I hate standing up resistors so this really isnt an issue for me unless I get a special request for a really tight build.

~arph
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by ~arph »

Dr Tony Balls wrote: My ONLY gripe with it is that when resistors stand-up their labeling doesnt show. The fix for this seems to be to make the resistor length really short so they never stand up on the drawing, but it'd be nice if it was automatic.
Yep.. I add a label manually when this happens.. (and it happens a lot when I do vero's :shock: )