Diptrace users group

Digital tools for electronic work: software for pcb design, schematic drawing, circuit simulation, parts inventory tools, ...
sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

Honestly - I've tried to give Eagle some love, but I capitulated. Not really because it is complicated - life is, and I can manage it, but because of limitations. Usable layout routing field for me starts with professional version, the one that costs 1300 GPB. I'm doing a lot of amp layouts recently, so any other "lighter" Eagle issue makes no use to me

That's why Diptrace. There is no layout size limitations, bundle limits only number of pads and layers, with standard version that offers 1000 pins and 4 signal layers for less than 250 GBP I have more than I ever will need

Right now I'm learning how to really use this software on freeware version, and I really love it. It's easy to use and really flexible

I just need to update my library to something more pedal/amp project friendly. Does anybody's fancy to share libraries for such a projects? I would love to have PCB mounted jacks, valves, 3PDT, miniswitches, etc...

Some tips are always welcome too

Cheers

Pruttelherrie
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Pruttelherrie »

:secret:
Hey sinner, there are some macros to convert eagle files to diptrace. Check out this tutorial: http://cryoarchive.net/tutorials/diptra ... -diptrace/

jubal81
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by jubal81 »

I've found the MAC 'version' is really buggy, so I gave up on that.

Does this mean we might see some amplifier PCBs coming? :shock:

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

Pruttelherrie wrote::secret:
Hey sinner, there are some macros to convert eagle files to diptrace. Check out this tutorial: http://cryoarchive.net/tutorials/diptra ... -diptrace/

Cool - it's for schematics, but I've googled library conversion tutorial too. Cheers, that will speed up few things

@Pruttelherrie - I don't know mate. I just feel that it's a time to learn how to put together more advanced designs. I still prefer making layouts old fashion way, I was able to draw tagboard amp layouts even for relay channel switching, master volume, multi gain stage amps, that are still compact enough to go into standard chassis without big mess. I just need that mental comfort to know when I need to design something more compact, I may be able to

tonight, we ride
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall JCM 900 2500
Completed builds: TS-808 kit, Orange Squeezer kit, Super Duper clone, Big Muff (russian re-issue) creamy dreamer switchable mod,

Post by tonight, we ride »

Haven't heard of Diptrace until now, but am very interested in checking it out. I have also been discouraged by the size limitations on EagleCad's freeware version, and although I think it's a powerful program have never fallen in love with it. Keep us updated if you make any progress on libraries, and I'll do the same once I have a chance to check it out!

Ice-9
Degoop Doctor
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall
Completed builds: Far to many to afford the enclosures for them all. :)

Post by Ice-9 »

Iv'e been using Diptrace for quite some time now, I don't use autoroute at all as just place my components where I want and just draw in the tracks. The ground tracks I don't draw but add them to a net with a ratline then when finished the PCB use that net as a copper plane.

I have quite a few libraries that are for us pedal guys already drawn up or collected from other Diptrace users that I can share. It has things like 3PDT footswitches, boss 2.1 psu jacks, long legged pots and panasonic caps 12ax7 valves and more.
It's fairly straight forward, if you want to start it , press start. You can work out the rest of the controls for yourself !

No silicon heaven ? preposterous ! Where would all the calculators go ?

Ice-9
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by Ice-9 »

Diptrace stuff.rar
Diptrace 3d files
(1.57 MiB) Downloaded 340 times
Sinner, I've posted a picture of a Diptrace pcb I made of a simple TS If this is the type of stuff your looking for parts wise I have quite a bit of these. I have uploaded an attachment of the 3d files that you just copy to the diptrace folder to use. I had a harddrive crash a while ago so need to recover some of the footprint libraries i had for these but I will post those when I can fix them up. I have included an eagle to diptrace script as well.

One of the great things about Diptrace is the help system, from within the program you can directly email help from the makers and usually within 24 hours you get the answer, even with the trail version.

It's fairly straight forward, if you want to start it , press start. You can work out the rest of the controls for yourself !

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

Thank you Ice-9. To be honest, I have no idea yet how to use it. I had no much time to get more deeper into Diptrace, as I just moved and started new job. That takes hell of a time, but I'm still very interested to get myself more familiar with it. Right now all my free time I have apart of my daily duties I'm trying to understand which Diptrace modules does what. I'm doing a lot of mess I must to admit ;) Possibly reading manual, or/and watching videos done by Diptrace blokes would help ;)

I've found on Diptrace forum valve amp schematic symbols (attached), but there is no component library comes with that. I'm sure it may be edited somehow, as soon as I do something with it, I'll report back

HD crash, hmmm? I've been there mate :( twice... Now I have all my valuable data back-up'd on two external HD

Cheers

geozero
Information

Post by geozero »

Ice-9 wrote:Iv'e been using Diptrace for quite some time now, I don't use autoroute at all as just place my components where I want and just draw in the tracks. The ground tracks I don't draw but add them to a net with a ratline then when finished the PCB use that net as a copper plane.

I have quite a few libraries that are for us pedal guys already drawn up or collected from other Diptrace users that I can share. It has things like 3PDT footswitches, boss 2.1 psu jacks, long legged pots and panasonic caps 12ax7 valves and more.

Hi there... I am new here and also with Diptrace. I am interested in your libraries... especially with jacks (like the Neutrik NMJ6HCD2), other input/output jacks, 3PDT, and pots. I am looking for the component objects more so than the 3D images although if you have both matching that would be awesome too. Is there any way you can post them here or contact me? Many thanks!!!

Ice-9
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by Ice-9 »

There is a new update version of Diptrace out now, and also a new 3d library update. I will have to look at it later to see whats been updated.

I also forgot about this thread so I will try and upload the pedal specific libraries I can find before the weekend.

287m
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by 287m »

Hail DipTrace
easy for n00b like me