Moving from Eagle to Multisim...missing components though

Digital tools for electronic work: software for pcb design, schematic drawing, circuit simulation, parts inventory tools, ...
chicago_mike
Tube Twister
Information

Post by chicago_mike »

Anybody got any links to extra libraries for multisim? :D
Skyline FX 2013

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

As usual when learning a new PCB package (currently: Altium) the first I want to know is how to create my own components... and become indepedent of manufacturer provided libs. Unfortuneately the Multisim component editor is among the worst I've encountered. And I moved on quickly.
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com

chicago_mike
Tube Twister
Information

Post by chicago_mike »

I checked it out briefly....you are correct Sir!

Altium? I was learning Altium back in 1998 when it was called Protel. :D Never got very far with it, but it was a beast back then.
Skyline FX 2013

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

I used Protel briefly around 2002. The only impression I had at that time was that it felt like an application that was completely built in visual Basic, ate resources like crazy (and thus required a powerful system) and was very buggy. The only reason I could find at the time for the wide adoption of the application was that cracks were so easy to find. I stuck to my old Ultiboard 5.73. Obsolete but usable and a cunning lot better than the current National Instruments Microsim/ultiboard versions.

FastForward to 2014 where, when I look around in the electronics development companies in the EU one sees a wide adoption of Altium over the last few years. Odd, considering the pretty heavy learning curve but still, when changing over to something new it's the most logical choice. Having that said I have to admit I really start to like the application.
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com

Ice-9
Degoop Doctor
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall
Completed builds: Far to many to afford the enclosures for them all. :)

Post by Ice-9 »

I use Altium designer at times, I have only learned the bits I need to know as I tend to design boards in another program that has all my libraries then import it into
Altium just to put the finishing touches to it that other programs don't reach.

I wish I had more time to learn how to use Altium a bit more.
It's fairly straight forward, if you want to start it , press start. You can work out the rest of the controls for yourself !

No silicon heaven ? preposterous ! Where would all the calculators go ?