Diptrace dpdt foot switch

Digital tools for electronic work: software for pcb design, schematic drawing, circuit simulation, parts inventory tools, ...
ratrod
Information

Post by ratrod »

Hi fellas, I am having a hell of a time trying to make a new component in diptrace for a dpdt foot switch, I got a deal on some alpha knock offs and they dont have the same foot print as the alpha original. Any help from diptrace users would be great, I have ran threw the tutorials but I'm coming up short.

Thank you
RatRod
Attachments
202P.jpg
202P.jpg (24.36 KiB) Viewed 1939 times

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

Ill do it. But I have to finish my shift first. It's 5 minutes job, will do it later tonite

ratrod
Information

Post by ratrod »

Sinner, that will be great.... I just cant wrap my head around the editor.
Thank you very much

Ratrod

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

I'll try to do it in tutorial's form

It's really easy if you have component's spec sheet

ratrod
Information

Post by ratrod »

That would be great, I know it cant be that hard, just one of those things if I can see it I can do it.

Ratrod

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

Ok

So, I'm not sure how advanced you are in those things, but I'm assuming that you know you need both schematic simbol as well as the pattern

Lets start with the pattern

- launch diptrace, you see the starting menu - choose pattern editor
- have technical sheet of your switch in hand
- in the work field you have a manu titteled "pattern properties"
* from "type" submenu choose lines
* in "number of lines" type 3
* in "number of pads" type 6
* next two fields "pad spacing" and "line spacing" you typing spacing/dimensions from your datasheet (7.1mm (?) and 7.1mm in this case)
* "name" - give it a name like DPDT pcb, mini dpdt or whatever
* "refdes" - if it's a switch type SW, if resistor - R, capacitor - C - you get the idea...
- next select all the pads
- right click mouse and go to "properties"
- you can predefine spec of the pads in "type / dimensions" -> "pattern's pad properties..."
* you can define all the pad properties like the shape, wide of the pad, hole dimension or it's shape. It's more less personal choice when it comes to the pad size, but try to make the sizo of the hole bit bigger than 0.8mm.

Click ok, and ok, and that's all. Well almost - you can add the square simbol with switch's outter diameter for silkscreening.

- place the square in to the work field over the switch -> right mouse click -> properties
* select "1" and type in X field -6.1 (half the width) and 8.6 in Y field (half the height of the switch)
* select 2 and type in x 6.1 and -8.6

You can predefine the wide of component's silkscreen, but imo 0.25mm is fine

That's all. Save it and attach from the component editor

If anything is unclear, ask the questions.

ratrod
Information

Post by ratrod »

Thanks Sinner, I really appreciate the guidance, this is far better than you mking it for me, I learnd somrthing today....... The greatest forum and group of folx in the community.

RatRod

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

My pleasure

Just a quick tips how to attach your pattern to the schematic

If you don't have schematic simbol you have to draw it in component editor

Open the editor and using the same component properties menu as with pattern pads choose "2 sides" in type menu, in width and pin spacing type the numbers of your choice, "left pins" and "right pins" type one and one. Next name it and in RefDes type SW (if you wont type anything there, diptrace will name components "U" by default

You can choose pins or pin sets freely in the main manu above the work field (looks like sort of magic wand with green surrounding) but the above procedure is the correct way how to do it

Now using the lines (or other shapes for other components) draw the shape of switch's schematic simbol and you're half way

What you have now is SPDT switch. Ok, you could draw full 2pdt, 3pdt or whatever in there, but the correct way, and more user friendly way is the way described below:

On the low left corner you can find bookmark called part 1, rigt click -> add -> and you have part two. Draw another section (spdt) as you just did before. Save it and you have dpdt :)

Make sure that the pattern pads and component (schematic) pin numbers have correct numbers

You can change it in right click -> pin properties or (better) pin menager

Now in upper menu -> component -> attach pattern

In this window click add next to the "library" and find the file with your patter. When you import it to the field, doble click it and you should see it in the black field above along with your schematic simbol. Make sure that pins matchs pads, you can find other section of the switch in menu above called "parts"

Now save it, import to your schematic editor and it's ready to use

Thanks