Tips to create good audio PCBs

Digital tools for electronic work: software for pcb design, schematic drawing, circuit simulation, parts inventory tools, ...
Roa
Information

Post by Roa »

About a week ago I read something at bogner´s webpage, I think it was a letter written by a Marshall ingenier talking about PCB design when it comes to audio. He claimed that there is acertain way in wich you have to array the components (ones in paralel others perpendicular), distances from components to each others, width of traces and pads and many other things had a significant effect on the quality of the sound and noise reduction. This is the link to the letter

I just can´t find anything specific on those things, so if any of you know has that knowledge I would apreciate you share it with us so that we can then apply it with the design software. This is the most I found:

-If you have to give gain to the signal do it as close to the source as posible.
:hmmm:

John Lyons
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by John Lyons »

400v or more Tube amp PCB are a lot different than pedal 9v layouts.
With that much voltage flying around you need to make sure certain points don't interact much.

Basically for any PCB design you want the circuit to flow linearly from one side to the other.
You want high impedance inputs to have short paths from their sources. Short traces and wire runs are always good. There are many other points but for 90% of distortion/fuzz pedals layout isn't crucial at all.

john

Supafuzz
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Supafuzz »

That paper was written by Andy Marshall of THD, no connection to Marshall amps.
It astounds me that so many boutique amp builders feel the need to justify their use of PCBs while just as many others defend rats nests.
Seems like both camps feel insecure about their amps' sound.