Installing Eagle on Linux (Ubuntu)

Digital tools for electronic work: software for pcb design, schematic drawing, circuit simulation, parts inventory tools, ...
Mr. G.
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Undecided
Completed builds: 3-loop + tuner out TB loop pedal
Eternity overdrive (Deaj perf layout)
YATS (many)
BOR
DLS
COT (Briggs mods)
Crunchbox
SHO (several)
Fuzz Factory
Several LM386 based distortions

Post by Mr. G. »

I initially installed Eagle using the Add/Remove Applications program, but that only installs version 4.16. So, I tried installing the newest version from the cadsoft site, but can't figure out how to install it. I downloaded the .run file, but can't seem to do anything with it. I'm not all that great with the ins and outs of Linux to begin with, so any help with this will be greatly appreciated.

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

hey Ubuntero!

in a terminal, place yourself in the appropriate directory, and type in the command:

sh eagle-lin-5.4.0.run

That should do it... (works fine here on Ubuntu 8.04)

"in a world with no walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?"... Go free!!
- Are you a mod or a rocker?
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

Mr. G.
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Undecided
Completed builds: 3-loop + tuner out TB loop pedal
Eternity overdrive (Deaj perf layout)
YATS (many)
BOR
DLS
COT (Briggs mods)
Crunchbox
SHO (several)
Fuzz Factory
Several LM386 based distortions

Post by Mr. G. »

Thanks bud! I'm not very comfortable in terminal, but I got it to work, thanks to you. [smilie=a_goodjob.gif]

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

You're very welcome! I'm not the terminal master as well... :)

One step after another through the terminal, here's the best way to go, and the Ubuntu forums help too :wink: ...
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

cpm
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by cpm »

try adding execution permissions for that file (propertites->etc), or "chmod +x filename"
then you should be able to run by clicking on it if its placed on the desktop or whatever folder browser you use.

itd be better if you move the main files to something like /opt/software/ or any other place to keep programs organised (those which are installed manually, without the package manager). From there you can place a "soft link" in your desktop pointing to the executable file.

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

cpm wrote:try adding execution permissions for that file (propertites->etc), or "chmod +x filename"
then you should be able to run by clicking on it if its placed on the desktop or whatever folder browser you use.
Didn't know about this way... Fine indeed!
cpm wrote:itd be better if you move the main files to something like /opt/software/ or any other place to keep programs organised (those which are installed manually, without the package manager). From there you can place a "soft link" in your desktop pointing to the executable file.
You're asked about the files location during the install, so you can have them copied straight away instead of moving them afterwards... But it's good to have them in a "program" folder as said cpm (for me it's on my system disk, and not on my /home)...
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.