New piece of software for DIY-ers

Digital tools for electronic work: software for pcb design, schematic drawing, circuit simulation, parts inventory tools, ...
bancika
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by bancika »

Here's the original link from ax84 with the description and download link: http://ax84.com/bbs/dm.php?thread=377469
At the moment it's mostly tube oriented, but someone may find it useful
Cheers,
Bane
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out - https://github.com/bancika/diy-layout-creator
Check out my site with DIY gutars, amps and pedals http://diy-fever.com

marshmellow
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by marshmellow »

Yeah, this is brilliant! I only had a quick look at the screen
shots you linked in the first post, but this looks very promising! :D

JiM
Diode Debunker
Information
Completed builds: Completed builds :
Proco Rat
MXR MicroAmp in a volume pedal
TubeDriver (w/ NoS russian tube and big muff tone contol) + Phase 45 (w/ univibe cap ratio)
Dallas Rangemaster (w/ noisy OC75, negative ground)
SubCaster tube booster (w/ NoS russian tube, PtP)
Hot Harmonics
Music From Outer Space SubCommander in progress
Crackle Not OK
Simple bass blender in a 1590A
Bazz Fuss with a photo-darlington

Post by JiM »

That's great !
I was messing with Inkscape to try and vectorize some russian tubes datasheets, without success. Looks like i've found the right tool for the job.

Unfortunately, i can't get it to work yet. I'm on Linux (Debian Lenny), with both Java 1.5 and 1.6 installed.
Here is what i get :

Code: Select all

$ ls
12ax7.dsf  12ax7.llf  DIYAS.jar
$ echo $JAVA_HOME
/usr/bin/java
$ java -jar DIYAS.jar loadline
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/log4j/BasicConfigurator
        at com.diyfever.ampsuite.MainFrame.main(Unknown Source)
It looks like the error AROlson had on the AX84 thread, but i can't find any 'lib' folder with 3 .jar files in the .zip file, just the ones listed above. Is that normal ?

:cry: I have no luck with your cool software bancika, i can't get the components to appear in the Library window with DIYLC 2.0, and the CVS sources give errors i don't understand in Eclipse, and then i miss half the files for the new Amp Simulator ! Am i cursed ?
I only give negative feedback.

hgamal
Information

Post by hgamal »

Using strace I discover some problems about pathnames using '\' as path separator. Multi-plataform programs must use use '/' instead in order to run on both environments (unix and windows). The code above can fix temporary this problem:

unzip DIYAS.jar lib/log4j-1.2.15.jar
unzip DIYAS.jar lib/xpp3_min-1.1.4c.jar
unzip DIYAS.jar lib/xstream-1.3.1.jar
ln -s lib/log4j-1.2.15.jar lib\\log4j-1.2.15.jar
ln -s lib/xpp3_min-1.1.4c.jar lib\\xpp3_min-1.1.4c.jar
ln -s lib/xstream-1.3.1.jar lib\\xstream-1.3.1.jar
java -jar DIYAS.jar loadline

bancika
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by bancika »

Hi,
new version does not need command line params to select the tool, just java -jar diyas.jar runs the whole thing.
I fixed \ into /, please try to download zip again...
By the way, to reduce the risk of forgetting to extract lib folder I packed everything into a single jar...
Cheers
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out - https://github.com/bancika/diy-layout-creator

marshmellow
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by marshmellow »

OK, I just downloaded it once again. The former jar file I tried yesterday wouldn't do anything at all, no window nothing. Now I get the message "Could not find the main class. Programm will exit". My Java version is 1.6.0_07 by the way.

JiM
Diode Debunker
Information
Completed builds: Completed builds :
Proco Rat
MXR MicroAmp in a volume pedal
TubeDriver (w/ NoS russian tube and big muff tone contol) + Phase 45 (w/ univibe cap ratio)
Dallas Rangemaster (w/ noisy OC75, negative ground)
SubCaster tube booster (w/ NoS russian tube, PtP)
Hot Harmonics
Music From Outer Space SubCommander in progress
Crackle Not OK
Simple bass blender in a 1590A
Bazz Fuss with a photo-darlington

Post by JiM »

hgamal wrote:Using strace I discover some problems about pathnames using '\' as path separator. Multi-plataform programs must use use '/' instead in order to run on both environments (unix and windows). The code above can fix temporary this problem:

unzip DIYAS.jar lib/log4j-1.2.15.jar
unzip DIYAS.jar lib/xpp3_min-1.1.4c.jar
unzip DIYAS.jar lib/xstream-1.3.1.jar
ln -s lib/log4j-1.2.15.jar lib\\log4j-1.2.15.jar
ln -s lib/xpp3_min-1.1.4c.jar lib\\xpp3_min-1.1.4c.jar
ln -s lib/xstream-1.3.1.jar lib\\xstream-1.3.1.jar
java -jar DIYAS.jar loadline
Thank you hgamal, it works now ! (with the latest version downloaded right now)
I only give negative feedback.

bancika
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by bancika »

I think I fixed the problem, lib is now in a separate directory instead of being packed inside the jar. Should be ok now.
Tnx

marshmellow
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by marshmellow »

Now it's working, thanks. I only gave the data sheet editor a quick spin. It works really well the way it is now. But I have the following suggestions you could think about:

I naturally expected the background image to be movable and stretchable. It does work the way it is, but this would expand the functionality I think. There are many diagrams in original data sheets, that only go to a certain voltage, that is well below the specified maximum voltage. If I could enter a higher voltage, fit the picture to the size it should be, I could approximate the part of the curve that is not in the original diagram. Would be great if possible. I also think it would be easier than fiddling with the voltage and current settings to make it precisely sitting. Since you already resize the picture with the window size, this might be not so complicated to implement?

I tried it out with the EL34. Being a pentode some curves do have that kink. With only two drag points it's not possible to make the curves match over the whole range. Not that much of a big problem, but more handles (maybe added by user only if needed) would further increase the accuracy.

Don't get me wrong, I really love it already the way it is :wink:. Thanks for your effort! :applause: